Where all are welcome but few call home...

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Lost: Confirmed Dead

All right guys, this episode just started and I'm actually taking notes so I'll remember my comments... I'll post my thoughts either later tonight or tomorrow. In the meantime, feel free to post your own. Cheers.

13 Comments:

Blogger thewalrus said...

Interesting point that goose noticed: Charlotte Staples Lewis = C.S. Lewis

9:08 PM, February 07, 2008

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

A few quick things:

The guy who initially landed from the chopper who said "I don't know" to the question "why are you crying?" (when he saw it on t.v.). Thoughts?

What role is Walt playing? Any guesses on Mike?

The scene with the machine and the "ghost" was bizarre. And the money with the (presumably) heroin? I could not make out the pictures but they looked like Eko.

Why does Ben provoke Sawyer (and others)? Is he just that masochistic? Or is he trying to manipulate Sawyer in getting Kate to stay?

The Tunisia scene??

And finally: "One of my men is on their boat." Guesses?

I think this episode opened way too many cans of worms and was a bit overwhelming. The whole attempt to answer the "monster" question was by all means not satisfying. Ok, pitch in at will.

9:14 PM, February 07, 2008

 
Blogger stevepvc said...

Holy crap. I love the direction, even if they rushed the backstories for the new guys a bit. Novice ghostbuster...but with some authenticity, it seems. both a fraud and the real deal, all at once. "How stupid are you"

Daniel's character is pretty stinking quirky. timid, confused, but it looks like he's going to explode someday.

Also, they seem to want us to think that without Naomi, the team is in shambles...but still presents some type of threat. that's weird, because even though they are supposed to be the threat, it really seems like the survivors have a serious upper hand.

I know the stab at the black smoke monster was unsatisfying, but i think it really served just to make sure we're still aware of that story thread...maybe that's a sign that it'll be a little more prominent in this season.


hey, did any of you watch the weird oceanic commercials during last week's Eli Stone episode? who was that in the interruption scenes?

10:18 AM, February 08, 2008

 
Blogger stevepvc said...

one last thing...if frank was able to land the chopper so perfectly, why was he hurt?

10:19 AM, February 08, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what do you mean the stab at the black smoke monster? didn't locke just ask about? what was weird about that, exactly?

7:47 AM, February 11, 2008

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

I didn't think it was weird, only a weak attempt at temporary satiation of our appetites for answers to the mysteries. Of course, it's impossible to tell whether Ben was being sincere in his "I don't know" answer.

10:26 AM, February 11, 2008

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Ok, this is completely off topic but I think I just realized that the quote I've had on my page (and quoted in several other contexts), "We must begin wherever we are," is actually from Jacques Derrida, not Nietzsche. I think I ran across it originally in Mark Taylor's book Erring in a section on Nietzsche and made the wrong association. Well, I could swear it was originally from Nietzsche but it certainly makes sense with Derrida, if not moreso. I'll change it just to be safe!

11:36 AM, February 11, 2008

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

dante, I think you should speak more here about your C.S. Lewis/purgatory theory.

11:38 AM, February 11, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, i read The Great Divorce in a class I was TA'ing for last semester. And, I noticed the same thing as Goose: they emphasized the "Staples" in Charlotte Lewis - and, she was British; but, the "S" in "CS" stands for "Staples." Anyway, in The Great Divorce, it is not so much purgatory, as it is an entire way of viewing the relationship between heaven, hell, and purgatory - just the afterlife, in general. Well, there is too much to say about, but suffice it to say, that one of the major themes is how far away those who aren't in heaven are from those who are; and, this is contrasted with how miniscule those who aren't in heaven are to those who are. That is, those who are in hell and purgatory are like a mote of dust to those who are in heaven - it is not that they don't care for them; it is that their lives are carried out in completely different ways.

There is also a bit about everyone in heaven having a job to do in offering help to someone in hell/purgatory. That seems to fit too. We can add details if they are so desired.

11:55 PM, February 11, 2008

 
Blogger goose said...

Dante, good call on bringing up Lewis' "The Great Divorce". Although I haven't read it, I did just read a synopsis of it and can see some really interesting parallels and possibilities with the characters on the show. Hmm, I'm intrigued. Especially by the ghosts in Lewis' book and the choices they are presented with. And then this, the last sentence of the book: "And I awoke, and behold, it was all a Dream".

12:37 PM, February 12, 2008

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

dante, another thing goose pointed out to me is a novel by Lewis that was never published called "The Dark Tower" which is doubly interesting considering its reference to Stephen King and the fact that it's a sci-fi novel about interdimensional travel. King's series as I told you also deals with this.

Here's the wikipedia link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower_%281977_novel%29

By the way, can anyone help me on doing this hyperlink thing?

1:49 PM, February 12, 2008

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

By "reference to King" I only mean similarity by the way.

1:56 PM, February 12, 2008

 
Blogger goose said...

The similar 'interdimensional travel' storylines in both of "The Dark Tower" works seem to also correlate with the whole flashback / flashforward business the writers keep playing with too. And then there's the cabin moving for Hurley. And plenty of other stuff.

And I forgot to say yes, Dante, details are so desired, if you care to continue further with the heaven/hell/purgatory theme. A little more about C.S. Lewis' "The Great Divorce": I think flashforward bearded Jack feeling desperately like he has to go back to the island could be an example of having been in purgatory and having made the wrong choice of which direction to go from there. Also, Lewis' characters are "ghosts" and now we have this Miles guy who can communicate with ghosts/spirits.

4:27 PM, February 12, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
link to affordable web promotion page
Info on affordable web promotion service.