Where all are welcome but few call home...

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Transitions: Happy New Year

Well, guys, 2005 is now history and 2006 is here. 2005 was an eventful year indeed. We're now in a new year and I sense it will be a transitional one in many ways. May we all embrace it with courage and hope.

I purposefully spent this New Year's Eve alone, needing to find some clarity in the midst of the chaos. I wanted to reflect on a year that was rather bittersweet for me and to anticipate the events of a year that is now beginning. I'm confident that 2005 will turn out to be quite a sentimental year for me in future reflection. With great anticipation, I look forward to the changes to come.

February 15 will mark the one-year anniversary of the opening of thesecondchance. I would like to do something unique to celebrate. Something along the lines of a live chat if we could work it out. If you have some ideas, let me know. I hope that we can keep this bar up and running and have an even better second year. Drink up my friends. I'm setting bottles on the bar tonight for the regulars to free pour. After all, this will always be the place where all are welcome, but few will ever call home...

13 Comments:

Blogger 2coopers said...

Roll Tide Roll...

Emmanuel, prediction come true?

11:44 PM, January 02, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

sheckler,

We'll catch up and hang out soon. I'm mucho missing you too. You've been in my thoughts a lot lately.

2coopers & emmanuel,

Wow what a day yesterday. The 2 least likely SEC teams to win their bowl games did and the 2 teams most expected to win got beat. I of course rooted SEC all the way.

I have to say how proud I am of the Bama team that came out and whipped a solid Texas Tech team on both sides of the ball (excluding special teams). Our defense shut down an incredibly explosive and fast offense - held them to their lowest point total (10) in over 4 years. An offense, that is, who averages over 40 points a game.

And major kudos to our offense who held the ball 39 out of the 60 minutes of the game. Missing our top two offensive playmakers, we still racked up tons of yards and make big clutch plays when needed. If Brodie would've connected on 2 more passes, the score would've been a blowout. Oh yeah, and our O-Line didn't allow a single sack. I think TT's Dwayne Slay is one of the best safeties I've seen in a while.

Anyways, it was a great game and a great (despite an ugly but oh so beautiful kick) finish to a great year. The next few years should get exciting.

And you are right emmanuel, just like the Iron Bowl, the better team didn't show up to play in the Capital One Bowl. Cox is a solid q-back and I'm guessing the consistency will come with more experience.

2:38 PM, January 03, 2006

 
Blogger Silas said...

I just saw on IMDB that there is a movie in production called "the second chance", starring Michael W. Smith. Sounds like a blockbuster huh?

7:20 PM, January 03, 2006

 
Blogger stevepvc said...

Two things: first of all I too enjoyed watching bama's d tear it up yesterday, and am a little bit disappointed, though not surprised at the lack of coverage for almost all the bowls except the Rose Bowl. no more than a couple of highlights for any other game, and I'm getting where I want to puke anytime I hear about Pasadena. Don't get me wrong, the game tomorrow looks like it will be incredible, and those two teams deserve all kinds of recognition. But are we losing all the rest of the bowls just because we have this championship game?

Second, I'm in your town this week, Dante, and would love to get in touch with you but the number I have for you didn't work (which also underscores the fact that I don't call you enough as it is). that being said, I don't think either of us want to post our phone numbers, but if you'll email me at Steven@pvcc.org, I'll give you a holler. (thursday would be a great time to get together if you could.) I'll delete this post after Ihear from you, or leave town.

Hey Walrus, I'll respond to your post on my page when I feel like it. Although your heckle made me laugh, just as your heckles have for many years.

Roll Tide, baby. what the crap are we going to do until next fall?

12:32 AM, January 04, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

lb,

I was guessing that it would be a Discovery Channel spin-off on the adventures of a walrus.

stevepvc,

I feel your pain on the over-exposure of the Rose Bowl. I don't think I saw one decent highlight reel of the other bowls. I'm looking forward to tonight's game, no doubt, but there's more to college football than that.

So no one has any ideas for me yet for this year? Hobbes, any tech advice?

2:19 PM, January 04, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

emmanuel,

I agree. That was one of the best games I've seen in a long time. Vince Young really is unbelievable. I also have to say that I was amazed at how USC's coaching staff bungled so many things: play calls, lack of review, going for 4th down,etc.

Glad you noticed the dig. I knew it wasn't too subtle. However much I believe it to be true, I also unfortunately know what really matters in the rivalry. I just work with what I've got. The final rankings, for example :) I'm sure Wisconsin's going to be pissed.

I'm guessing your last line is metaphorical and you're waiting for me to post something. I am working on it my friend, slowly but surely. Until then, I'm sending out some hot wings...

2:07 PM, January 06, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

I'll get the Lost review up in a lil bit. Recorded it but haven't watched it yet. In the meantime, respond to dante damn it!

2:20 AM, January 12, 2006

 
Blogger 2coopers said...

dante,
interesting link...seems to me that guy is using some harsh generalities...i tend to agree with some of them but his presentation stirs the confrontation inside of me...and i think some of the stuff he says is just goofy...not that i don;t say goofy stuff all the time, i'd be interested in your take

later, 2coopers

9:04 AM, January 12, 2006

 
Blogger khovater said...

I think that guy is really hurting. He doesn't get it but I think that is because he is so blinded by his pain. Obvioulsy something has happened and he is really mad. I think that it is okay to be mad but his lack of control makes him look more foolish then he is trying to make the CofC. I think that his lashing out on an entire demonination is terribly unproductive. But he's mad and we don't always think productively when we are mad. The walrus, I am trying very hard to not be intimidated by all your smarty pants friends. Of course Stevepvc and 2coopers I can take but I am a litte leary about the others thus I don't make comments as often as I should. Dante, I think that we need to be friends so I can include you in my "not intimidated by" list.

1:13 PM, January 12, 2006

 
Blogger khovater said...

My first reaction is to say maturity. I think that it takes a certain level of wisdom and maturity to take something as personal as religion and look at a particular incident within that religion objectively. I think that his reaction is normal regardless of maturity level unless he is still holding on to this grudge in a few months. I think that one needs to have that period of anger but needs to be wise about how long they let themselves indulge in it. And then after choose to be proactive about learning and growing form that incident. Don't hold me to this opinion I am just processeing.

4:02 PM, January 12, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Well, we've started this conversation so let's finish it. I might even make a new post on it. khovater, my friends run across the spectrum, literally. I like the "smarty pants" reference though. In my friend Meda's tongue-in-cheek words, "I'm only slightly offended" and that's b/c it's my friends. But hey, in thesecondchance, bar talk is bar talk so I'm pouring you a drink. No need to feel intimidated here, though. The best part about thesecondchance is that the heavy conversation is always fueled by a healthy swig of Guinness. And without you, we're drinking alone... And that's precisely why it matters that you stay... That, and of course the fact that you have more to offer to our conversations than you perhaps realize.

3:39 AM, January 13, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

emmanuel,

Feel free to invite him in. I'm all for it.

1:05 PM, January 13, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

oops, anonymous is me above.

1:06 PM, January 13, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
link to affordable web promotion page
Info on affordable web promotion service.