The Next Chapter
I've been trying to think of a poetic way to say this but I'm not getting very far in my attempt. I'm in a bit of shock as I just found out that I have a 90% chance of having thyroid cancer. I just talked to the doctor and the DNA test came back positive. I am carrying the gene that indicates the presence of such cancer. I will be seeing an endocrinologist in the near future to determine the next steps but a thyroidectomy is potentially in my near future. There are many uncertainties that still remain as this is only the first step in the process. I suppose I fear the worst in terms of what stage the likely cancer might be in but I hope for the best.
No need to worry, your bartender will do what he does best here as long as he's still kicking. I will give you more info as it comes available. There's little, if any, chance that this is life-threatening so there's no need to be concerned in that regard at all. I just have a long road of medical tests and procedures ahead of me. Hope all is well. Cheers.

10 Comments:
Hey man--
So sorry that the news for which you waited so long turned out as it did. I won't get all mushy on your blog, but I'll be around all weekend. Let me know if/when you want to talk.
3:15 PM, March 16, 2007
I hate to hear the news walrus, but I am glad to hear that you are getting everything worked up. Take care.
Cheers.
3:56 PM, March 16, 2007
This news sucks. The only uplifting thing I have to say about this is that at least you are not on the island with Jack as your only possible surgeon, and you won't have to psychologically manipulate him into "wanting" to operate on you.
-w
11:32 PM, March 16, 2007
I can't imagine the millions of things running through your brain as you deal with this. Just know that there is love and support for you when you need it, throughout this whole process.
skirt- aka Lyndsey
1:58 PM, March 17, 2007
New like this isn't good, but I'm glad it isn't life threatening. I've been keeping up with you through your many friends and blog. You never know how many people know and love you until stuff like this happens. Not that it is supposed to be comforting, but I've been allowed to live through what was suppose to be terminal cancer. And, yes, a million things will go through your head and that of your family. With the million will be some kind of appreciation of the love that so many do have for you and each other. I'll keep you in my prayers and know that you will learn much from this too. By the way, I've decided that you and lots of your friends are just a bit "touched". take care.
11:55 PM, March 17, 2007
Man, walrus, I really am sorry to hear your news. We're definitely praying for you.
BTW, I meant to check with you after those tornadoes in Alabama--you don't have any family/friends that were affected by them, do you?
Peace
6:10 PM, March 18, 2007
My gratitude goes out to all of you for your kind comments. Your thoughts and prayers mean more than you know.
skirt and anonymous, welcome to thesecondchance. anonymous, while we love anonymity around here, I would welcome you to pick up a moniker and start contributing to our discussions. I'm curious as to what you mean by "touched" but I'm thinking it's at least a good thing.
3:34 PM, March 19, 2007
Walrus,
Sorry to hear that, I don't have any clever words of encouragement but I remember you being strong enough to overcome anything.
Keep your head up.
6:51 AM, March 26, 2007
stickyfeet and octavio, thanks for your encouragement. stickyfeet, I do plan to come up and visit in May or June so we can face off in pool then. Look forward to seeing you. octavio, thanks. I certainly don't always feel that way but I'm taking your words to heart.
11:40 AM, March 26, 2007
Oops, forgot to update. I meet with the endocrinologist on April 16 for a couple tests and to discuss what lies ahead. Chances are that I will go into surgery to get my thyroid removed soon after school ends (likely in May). The extent of the surgery will depend on the other tests to see what they reveal.
They should immediately test to see if the cancer has manifested on the thyroid. My brother said that they'll remove the thyroid either way because if the cancer isn't there now, it will be at some point, due to it being genetic. My brother did have a lump on his when they tested it. The only bad news as of now is that I have to eat a $900 medical bill for the DNA test b/c the insurance won't cover it. They apparently don't cover screen tests. Corporate bastards. Why the hell DNA tests cost that much is beyond me. I would've thought that since those tests have been out a while now they'd go the same route as VCR's, DVD's, etc., and depreciate in cost. This is of course why I don't belong in economics.
11:50 AM, March 26, 2007
Post a Comment
<< Home