Where all are welcome but few call home...

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Lost: My, My, My

The questions have only begun now... "Everything will change" indeed. Commentary coming up in the thread...

(In other words, don't read the thread if you haven't seen it!)

13 Comments:

Blogger thewalrus said...

Well I'm caught up with packing and all so I'll post my commentary tomorrow.

12:25 AM, May 24, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Curious detail:

if the flashback was really a flash-forward, as it seems, then how is Jack's dad alive? Remember when he argued with the chief of surgery and told him to go upstairs and get his dad and see who was drunker?

Could getting off the island somehow mean collapsing time and going back to some time before the island ever happened? So that only the people who were on the island know about the island, and that's why Jack wants to go back so badly?

Why isn't Kate arrested? Is she still on the run? Who is "wondering where she is," as she told Jack? Sawyer?

And who died in the funeral home? It has to be someone from the island, someone unliked, but someone whose death would push Jack over the edge. Could it be Ben?

I love the names in this show. Remember the myth of Penelope and Odysseus, with Odysseus on a long journey and Penelope waiting and waiting, believeing that he will return. How was Desmond's Penelope in touch with the Looking Glass Station, though? How did her image and voice come through so immediately?

So, there is life after the island. And, what about Walt? I thought he and Michael escaped the island last season. Does this mean that Michael is also still on the island somewhere?

And who is on the boat?

-w

10:56 AM, May 24, 2007

 
Blogger JD said...

My spoused pointed out to me that Jack's Dad is alive in the future ("Why don't you go get my dad and and if he's drunker than I am..."); and Kate should be/have been arrested. So, perhaps the "he" she was talking about ("he will be wondering where I am") was her step father.

I loved this episode in so many ways. But, I do have to comment that, if it is so dangerous to actually leave the island, then why is everyone that knows that it is dangerous being so cryptic about it; how 'bout you guys...um, I don't...tell us why we shouldn't leave.

10:57 AM, May 24, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no idea why my name has suddenly started appearing that way. I haven't changed anything.

10:58 AM, May 24, 2007

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

That's funny that you guys posted at the same time. I was walking to pick up my mail last night and had the same revelation. How can it be a flash-forward if Jack's dad is still alive? Unless of course somehow he never died but that would beg the question as to why his dad's body was in a body bag. I think there is some weird space/time stuff going on that won't be explained for a while. I read somewhere online that the obituary for the guy in the funeral home had a name that started with a "J" which of course could mean either Sawyer or Locke. I'm thinking Locke's death might be upsetting b/c Jack did seem to find some personal identity in Locke's statements to him about destiny, etc. "It's not supposed to be this way." That might be a stretch though.

Good question about Penelope. I can't remember Season 2's finale but it seems like there's people waiting at some "station" for things like that.

I do think Michael and Walt will both come back into play. Walt's got some sort of strange mystical appearance thing goin on with the island. Or, do you think perhaps Jacob "manifests" himself in other characters (Kate's horse, Locke's dad, Walt...maybe even Boone's vision of Shannon dying)?

As for the boat, that's pretty interesting, who knows. I still don't trust Ben's warnings about the boat but I do think that his warnings about the island may be worth listening to.

dante, you might need to start a new account. Blogger has done some switches with Google and others so you might be logging into a different account. That's an interesting theory about the stepfather.

I loved the episode as well. I actually think it might be my favorite episode up to this point in the show. It was exhilarating to watch it, esp. since I didn't have any spoilers that ruined anything. I don't see how people enjoy it when they know the big stuff beforehand.

Also, what do you guys think about the plane that crashed that supposedly had all of their bodies on it? How does that come into play? Did someone stage their deaths? Or does that play into the space/time thing too?

By the way, did that dark-haired "ageless" guy from Ben's camp die? The one with the black eyebrows who seemed pretty high up in the order?

11:14 AM, May 24, 2007

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

I read somewhere that one of the messages on the Room 23 film was "Only fools are trapped in time and space."

Nerdy fact: The voice of the airplane captain apologizing for the turbulence was executive producer Damon Lindelof. Another writer, Carlton Cuse, was the newscaster in the TV in the hospital.

dante, that was Nirvana's "Scentless Apprentice" playing in the car. Also, there was a writer online who made the same Sawyer/Han Solo comparison you did. I think I might have called an early shot when I told you earlier not to trust Jack's character change. I really wonder if he played the Others and particularly Juliet to get more information.

I also read that the voice on the other end of the phone when Jack called the boat was named Minkowski...which is apparently a reference to Hermann Minkowski's four-dimensional theory of space-time.

So there's the theory that Jack was doing "crazy talk" when he was speaking of his dad. In that case, it would keep the flash-forward intact.

The trickiest thing I found so far:

Hoffs/Drawler = "flash forward" - those sly writers, I tell you

12:58 PM, May 24, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if we are all having the same revelation at the same time, and my identity is being "revealed" in ways completely beyond my immediate control, then maybe the island is calling us. huh.

1:30 PM, May 24, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SEE! that was me.

1:30 PM, May 24, 2007

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

If you're anonymous, it might be stealing your identity... I think Walt is actually you.

2:10 PM, May 24, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey walrus, sorry, but could you send me your real email address and physical address...got something for you...if you are curious let's just say it involves a calendar and pics of me...anyway, do you have my email? you can send it to the hotmail (which I don't use but can still view) or the gmail.

11:10 PM, June 03, 2007

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

I got ya brother, email is sent. Looking forward to that swimsuit calendar...

10:54 AM, June 04, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As far as Jacks dad goes, I think it was a just Jack being drunk. Maybe "get him down here" was just a way to say he's drunk in Heaven as well. Or just a drunken rant either way. I believe it was so the writers could maintain a feeling of 'flashback' so the view would still be thrown off at the end.

And one thing about Nirvana. The paper Jack keeps looking at was dated the same month and day as Kurts death.(not the same year of course). Maybe in memory. Not to mention Jack is feeling suisidal.

I have a feeling the next episode will being with them explaining away the 'flash forward" as one of Desmonds premonitions. He'll go running up and tell Jack not to make contact with the boat. Otherwise the boat would show up. I think that Ben and Locke are both right about telling Jack not to make contact. This would preserve the continuity of the show atleast.

The obituary started with a 'Jo'.. and 'found dead in his appartment' That seems to mean Locke. I just hope thats wrong. Locke is my favorite character and I hope they dont turn him bad. He seem to be the only sane one, as crazy as they make him seem at times. He's been nearly the voice of reason, and very fearless on the island. Very much mistery surrounding him still, but it seems to be going in a way Im not going to like. Disappointing really.

I think walt was just a flash back. He hit puberty obviously but they've only been there like what, 3-4 months it seems they say. He should come back again.

People seem to think that whoever died and was in the casket pushed Jack over the edge, made him want to jump off the bridge. But the way I saw it was , he only went hoping Kate might show up. Seems to me that he is dying since leaving the island because he wants that life back for some reason. Maybe just his love of Kate and the fact he cant have her. He found he had all the friends and loved ones he needed right there and now life is to difficult after the ordeal, and he has lost everything. I mean, he says at the end he keeps flying with the "golden pass" hoping it crashes. Maybe thinking he will find the island again. Maybe there are two realities?

1:00 AM, June 06, 2007

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Well, it's late and I dropped the ball on responding here Fred. I will say for now that I think your theory about the "explaining away" the flash forward is really intriguing. That didn't occur to me at all and it sounds like something Abrams & Co. would do. It'll be interesting to see how that unfolds.

As for your two realities question, I think there's something like that going on. I still think they're doing something weird with a space/time theme but we'll see.

4:13 AM, June 08, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
link to affordable web promotion page
Info on affordable web promotion service.