Where all are welcome but few call home...

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Cancer Update II

I met with the surgeon today and discussed the upcoming medical excitement I'll have this summer. I will undergo two separate surgeries. The first one will laproscopically remove my right adrenal gland which has a small tumor inside. The surgery itself will last 2-4 hours and keep me in the hospital around 5 days or so (if any complications, then longer). I will just have to undergo tests every so often in the future to monitor my left adrenal gland. I won't have to take steroids unless the left one is removed at some point.

Approximately 2 weeks later, I will have my thyroid removed. An incision will be made at the base of my neck (underneath my chin) about 3 inches wide. One piece of good news is that it does not look like I will need a lateral incision on either side of my neck because my lymph nodes checked out relatively normal. This surgery will last 3-5 hours but will only keep me in the hospital 2 days, pending no complications. For the next few weeks (from now), I will be taking an "alpha blocker" (I think that's what it's called) that will lower my blood pressure. I will be a bit lethargic for a while and will need to have my blood pressure checked every week. This is to prepare me for the adrenalectomy. I meet with the anesthesiologist next Friday to discuss what all gettin knocked out is about.

Well, there's your mass amount of confusing medical information. I should know within the next week the specific dates for the surgeries. They will likely occur in late June or early July. I will post them as soon as I find out. The downside, other than the obvious, is that I'll likely miss work for a few weeks. The only other "big" things I really fret about (and considering this is cancer we're working with, don't worry, I'm counting my blessings) are the risk of damage to the vocal chord nerves (10-20%) and the pain from the adrenalectomy. According to the doctor, they will make 4-5 two-inch holes in my right side that are essentially (in his own words) the painful equivalent of being stabbed a few times. That sounds a bit dramatic but they will have me on pain medication for about a week so I got that goin for me.

Those of you in Indiana will be seeing me this weekend. My lady friend and I will be trekking north late Thursday evening and returning home sometime on Monday. It will be a nice vacation away from everything. Don't forget tomorrow evening is Lost's season finale so stop by sometime after if you get a chance. Just keep stopping by folks, I got more coming soon...

6 Comments:

Blogger goose said...

Walrus,
Sounds like an exciting summer you've got planned. Can I get my thyroid and right adrenal gland removed with you? Maybe we could even share a room in the hospital... But for real though, not that I'm glad that you're getting this done, of course, but I'm glad that you're getting this done at a young age and by such a qualified surgeon who has lots of experience working with this type of cancer. That part is definitely a plus. So, here's to a speedy recovery with as minimal pain as possible. And here's to keeping your vocal cords in tact. And here's to a good trip to Indiana. Cheers.

11:34 AM, May 23, 2007

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Thank you. How 'bout you get your left adrenal gland out so if one of us dies, we can just hand over our other one. Just remember I get first dibs in case someone else needs one too. I just wonder why humans have two of things we only need one of?? There's a few things though that I'd prefer to keep both of, know what I'm sayin? But thanks for the encouragement and I'll see you in Indiana...and all the way there too.

11:41 AM, May 23, 2007

 
Blogger goose said...

It's a deal. Left adrenal it is. And I hope you get to keep both of everything else you have pairs of... indeed. I'm looking forward to the trip. Can't wait to kick your ass again, at least once, at billiards. It's quite refreshing.

11:54 AM, May 23, 2007

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

I think you're gonna need an extra bag to pack all that wishful thinking ;)

12:39 PM, May 23, 2007

 
Blogger happyfootsadfoot said...

at least you have your spleen

here's a good picture of what it looks like after they take the room 101 rats and let them loose on your thyroid: http://kennylyons.com/gallery/surgery/Rightaftersurgery

5:17 PM, May 23, 2007

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Man, I really hope I can keep my spleen. I have no idea what it does but I wanna keep it anyways.

I gotta say, those chest tubes you had look like they're a force to be reckoned with. Maybe they can just tilt me to the side and let it drain out. Screw that whole stitching it to the skin thing.

5:51 PM, May 23, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
link to affordable web promotion page
Info on affordable web promotion service.