Where all are welcome but few call home...

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Lost: We Now Await

Well guys, we await the end of this chapter. I wrote my commentary in the thread to avoid spoilers for those who have yet to see the episode.

5 Comments:

Blogger thewalrus said...

Ok so here’s what I’ve got.

I thought this was a bit of a strange episode. It seemed forced at times, particularly the dialogue. I think that it was intended to be a “calm before the storm” type of episode. There were some really bizarre moments like when Charlie smacked Desmond with the oar. I’m still trying to figure out why that was necessary (Desmond didn’t exactly seem absolute with his suggestion). I’m also trying to figure out why Claire talked an octave lower than usual in the fireside flashback. And how was that one Other (who Juliet shot) resurrected? Maybe I’m forgetting elements in the past that answer my questions.

I’m going to put all my cards in one pile and say this. I think next week’s finale could possibly be a finale for the ages. I think Lindelof & co. might just knock off a lot of people. Here’s some scenarios:

1)Counter-intuitive – Locke dies, Charlie lives, Sayid, Bernard, and Jin die.

2)Middle of the plate – Locke lives, Charlie dies, the fight happens and Ben dies

3)Still bold – Locke lives, Charlie dies (after stretching it out a bit to make us doubt), Sayid, Bernard and Jin die (note that the 3 most dispensable men in the show, popularity wise, are the shooters; also note their impending confrontation with Ben – the trailer shows they get caught)

4)Most plausible - ?? You fill in here.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I saw nothing about Locke in the show or the trailer for next week. I find that interesting. I think Charlie must die next week or this week looks silly. This episode was a Lost anomaly in that we were being prepared for a death the entire episode (as opposed to it being a shocker).

Weird elements – Why would Jack and Rousseau set off some dynamite and blow up a few trees just to explain to the rest of the camp their plan? Dramatic effect, granted, but still weird. Nadia in the alley in England? Sawyer’s con lady in the Looking Glass? I didn’t recognize the blond lady closest to Charlie so I may be missing something there. Jack still seems off. I’m not sure what it is but I’ve begun to dislike his character. I loved Sayid’s “it’s time to start acting like one”.

Well, there’s some thoughts for now. Perhaps more later.

10:30 PM, May 16, 2007

 
Blogger JD said...

I think it is important that the black lady (can't remember her name) said that she liked Jack better after he came back - significant becuase I think that everybody is most likely hating him right about now. I know I am; he has become their "decider."

Also, I think it is more than significant that the underwater station was called the Looking Glass. The trailers were telling us that everything would change, and so remember the entire premise of Alice in Wonderland was passing to the other side of the Looking Glass, wherein we find the Jabberwoky (sp?), Mad Hatter, Cheshire Cats, and Scary Queens. I am thinking that the Looking Glass might be the remnants of the Dharma Initiative. Any thoughts on that?

I don't think Locke will die because I think he is too significant, given how upset Ben was by his being able to hear Jacob.

Also, anyone familiar with the thesis of Freud's Moses and Monotheism? It is basically that Moses only led close followers of his into freedom from the Egyptians, and, once there, they subsequently killed him in rebellion. Judaism was the religion that developed years later, in the wake of Moses' murder, and the guilt over this murder initially murder, as enshrined in the religion, has been passed down to Jews ever since. The point, of course, is that the God of the Jews is the projection of the guilt for this murder onto the cosmos itself; and, corresponds to the basic lineaments of the Oedipus Complex. I am beginning to think that something like this is being written into the story in one way or another. What set me off was the name "Jacob," who is the one from whom the Israelites spring, and the demand for Locke to kills his father in combination with Ben's killing of his own. Any thoughts? (Of course neither of these murders had anything to do with competition with the father over sexual rights to the mother - but, metaphorically?)

2:23 PM, May 17, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Change my name!

2:25 PM, May 17, 2007

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

massive forget that I can't change his name boy

There definitely is a weird patricide dynamic going on. I hadn't really thought about it in terms of projection.

I don't remember anything about Alice in Wonderland so I'm no help there. What do you think about all the new old characters showing up?

3:10 PM, May 17, 2007

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

So tell me this guys,

You think Mike and Walt will make an appearance soon? I really think Walt is still important to this whole thing.

2:22 AM, May 19, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
link to affordable web promotion page
Info on affordable web promotion service.