Where all are welcome but few call home...

Friday, May 04, 2007

Nothing to Lose

Well folks, it's official. Your bartender has medullary thyroid cancer at 30 years of age. I had the ultrasound on my thyroid on Wednesday morning which revealed 2 lumps in my thyroid. Two out of the three areas of concern were abnormal. My calcium levels were normal but my calcitonin levels were abnormal (at 176...the normal is 0 to 15). I know I'm speaking gibberish here but basically the gene mutation thing I got goin' on is screwing up stuff in my body. My thyroid is definitely shot. The next question is whether my adrenal gland(s) have gotta go too. I had an MRI this morning on my abdomen and so once I meet with my surgeon on Tuesday morning, I should know more details about what will be involved. Due to the fact that I already have the cancer, I will likely have to have some lymph nodes removed in my neck as well. Here's the lowdown:

Bad news: I gotta have my thyroid removed and potentially my adrenal gland(s) as well. I will have to be monitored about twice a year for the rest of my life and realistically have at least a couple more surgeries along the way. I will also have to take synthetic hormones each day from here on out.

Good news: I'm alive...and it looks like this cancer is relatively compatible with a normal life span as long as I keep it monitored and take care of business. So I may be a mutant gene producer but I'm still alive...so I got that goin for me...which is nice.

So yeah, the upshot is I'm alive but I might lose various parts of my body along the way. The funny thing is that I'm almost more relieved about the fact I just finished school than the fact I have cancer. I just finished the roughest semester of school I've ever had in my life...literally...so it feels great to be finished. During the past 8 days, I've averaged 2-3 hours of sleep each night and I've seen the sun come up 7 of those 8 days. Needless to say, I'm relieved it's finished. The ironic thing is I've somehow managed to be more motivated about what I'm studying in the process. That has a lot to do with my studies on Martin Luther King, Jr. On that note, I can assure you that there will be an upcoming post (Ethics Part 2) on King. You won't want to miss it, I assure you...

On that note, I will leave you to have a drink on the house. Your bartender is going to get a long night of rest and also spend some time with the lady and friends over the weekend. You folks in Indiana will be seeing me in late May. If anyone wants to come down and visit over the summer and maybe see a concert or something, hit me up. I got your lodging and food covered. The fun thing about hanging out with cancerous people is they get kind of crazy cuz they got nothing to lose...ok maybe I've been crazy for a while but at least now I have a reason, right? Yes indeed...

Cheers my friends.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still haven't thought of anything to say ... everything was so much better when you were *potentially* diseased. Damn cancer!

7:58 AM, May 04, 2007

 
Blogger Unknown said...

i'm glad you're alive, glad you made it through this awful semester, but i'm sorry to hear about the cancer. please let me know if you need anything...even just moral support. i'll be thinking about you.
-b

9:04 AM, May 04, 2007

 
Blogger goose said...

Hey Walrus - The bad news: I'm at a loss for words (well, is that bad or good?). I hate to hear about the results you got on your cancer. It truly bites. The good news: I'm very glad you're alive, glad you're finally finished with this hellish semester, and I'll do whatever I can to help and give you support along the cancer road ahead. The other good news: you still get to periodically piss in a jug, and that's pretty fucking cool... I hope you get rested up soon. Cheers.

11:57 AM, May 04, 2007

 
Blogger Silas said...

Like everyone else, I send my congrats to you for finishing the semester and my condolences for your health situation. I wish medicine was as open to debate as theology. You can't argue with cancer, but you can keep it from ruining your life. I admire your perspective.

Hope to talk to you soon.

7:38 PM, May 04, 2007

 
Blogger holtoncrew said...

damn, haven't been here in months and this is the first blog I read from you. I just got "online". I've got a quote nailed on my humble wall: "The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars...." Jack Kerououac

I am sorry about the cancer. The truth of the matter is that your life is a constant witness to life. Despite so many scenes of non-life, you continue to burn with profound light. The candleflame animates a dark room most when it dances with the wind. Just opened up a "man-sized can" of Carling Black Label. Cheers Squanchum

3:32 PM, May 05, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Banks,

Sorry to hear your news, glad that you are alive and finished with your semester again. Ironically (if it can be called that), I just found out a friend from college had the same thing happen. She just had her thyroid out a couple weeks ago and is doing good so far.

Things are good here, my baby girl is almost one, so life is getting even more busy. I wish I could see you and others from IN but I'm not sure when we will get down that way again.

Will be praying/thinking of you,

Danielle

3:08 PM, May 06, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for using your 'real' name above..if I could edit, I would :)

3:08 PM, May 06, 2007

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

First things first:

betsy and goose - welcome to the secondchance...protocol is the first round's on me so feel free to call your shot.

squanchum and danielle (aka tiredofwaiting from back in the day) - welcome back.

mrsdavis and lb, your round's on me anyways for commenting.

I appreciate all of you for your support and thoughts. I am indeed alive, well, and rather resilient at the moment. I will get your MLK post up in the next lil' bit, maybe today or tomorrow. Hang in there with me.

As for all of you, I beg your pardon and your participation...

12:25 AM, May 07, 2007

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Chief Inspector Uhl: "Promise me you won't do it again."

Eisenheim: "I promise you you'll enjoy this next show."

12:28 AM, May 07, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
link to affordable web promotion page
Info on affordable web promotion service.