Where all are welcome but few call home...

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Redemption

I haven’t had a cocky post in a while so indulge me…

A few months ago I informed all of you that I had been fired from Applebee’s. I can’t remember if I told you why but it was essentially because a jackass couple had written a page-long letter into corporate ripping every stage of their dining experience to shreds, including the host, bartender, server, and manager. Of course, the only name they mentioned was mine so corporate fired me. A couple weeks later I was hired at Don Pablo’s Mexican Restaurant. I was informed when I was hired that Don Pablo’s was a part of the “secret shopper” program whereby the restaurant contracts out an agency to monitor its services. A couple will come in and dine on any given day and grade every stage of the restaurant’s services. Some servers there have been there for years and haven’t been “shopped.” I, on the other hand, have been there six months and have already been shopped twice (I know, I attract this sort of thing). If you score a 92 or below, your employment is in significant jeopardy, if not automatically terminated. I was shopped 2.5 months into employment there and received a grade of 95. That was on a Friday night. There have been a number of servers who have been shopped since then and, to my knowledge, none have passed. Most received like an 80 or below. A couple weeks ago, I was shopped again as a cocktail in the bar area (an area in which the restaurant only allows certain servers according to their dependability). I received a score of 102, a score of which I didn’t even know was possible. I scored higher than a server who has been there 10 years (she scored a 100 when she got shopped). Count it as luck, circumstance, or whatever. But I scored a 102.

I tell you this because I feel somewhat redeemed. I was humiliated when I was fired and was a bit down on my luck. But your good ole bartender bit the bullet and got back up and, within a few months, climbed the ladder to the top. I succeeded. Applebee’s can go fuck themselves because they gave away one of their best servers for the cause of corporate regulations. They’ve learned to live and learn, I suppose. Actually, not even that. My accomplishments at Pablo’s mean nothing to them. But they mean something to me. I could have been an ass and pitched a fit and fought corporate on it. I’m not a sucker for bait though. I did something they have nothing to say against. Nothing anyone can say against for that matter. I rose to the occasion...and came out on top.

Recently, I was shunned and disregarded (for all practical purposes) by the school in which I dedicated two years of my life. As I’ve mentioned, I’ve been betrayed in many ways by a number of people over the past few years. The decision lies in my hands how I respond. I can’t really fight the school because I will lose one of my most important job references if I do so. So I’ll take the other route. I’m going back to school. I’ll defy everyone’s expectations by going back and finishing some unfinished business. They have no idea what kind of teacher I am because they never paid attention. The only things they heard and saw were people who knew nothing of education or parenting for that matter. They handed their kids over to me for educational babysitting and I handed them back adults-in-the-making who think for themselves. They lived and learned as well I suppose. Thewalrus is unwilling to stoop to other standards. He sets his own according to his beliefs. If you hand me something, be prepared for it to come back different than you imagined. I’m a handful of surprises folks and I’m only partially proud of that. But when it comes to teaching, I’m all commitment. I’m going to give you something you haven’t had before. The content and the issues may be the same but I will give you thewalrus along with it. There’s surely something to be said for that. My trade is vulnerability’s interaction with courage and I’ll hand it to you with a willingness to engage the challenging exchange.

Here’s the clincher, folks. I’m going back to school to study theology and I’m not even sure I’m ready for it. But I’m not sure anyone else is either. This fall I’ll be attending one of the most prestigious theological schools in America, if not the world. It makes me feel good to know that I, as a southern boy from Alabama who’s been to hell and back and risen to the top of culinary corporate America in northwest Indiana (sarcasm intended), am coming back to finish some unfinished business. Ultimately, I may never have anything to say to the church in America. I might not even have anything left to say to you. What matters (right now at least) is whether I’m going to finish that unfinished personal business…because it’s unexpected…from me and everyone else. I need to open this chapter to see if it’s meant to be written and finished. If not, I’ll write another. But I won’t stop writing. And don’t challenge me too much to write something unexpected because I’ll go there too. This, of course, isn’t intended to be arrogant as much as it is a personal declaration. I believe in something right now, folks, and it might just be belief itself but I’ve got some weird-ass drive in me to believe in something so I have to go there.

I say all this just to let you know that the beginning has begun again…and I’m asking you to keep drinking at a bar whose character and personality continuously evolves. Thesecondchance has only just begun. What’s important to know is that those “regular days” of which I wrote will purposely continue in my personal “project” of sorts because I have a personal need to connect my world with the world which I am about to enter. If I fail in doing so, well, there’s always literature to teach in high school. Until then, drink with me and talk amongst yourselves…The toughest conversations just might lie ahead…

16 Comments:

Blogger stevepvc said...

woo-hoo!

way to subtly stick it to the man. ("But sir, you are the man.""I know.")

1:40 AM, August 07, 2006

 
Blogger Silas said...

We ate at Applebee's the other night and our service was terrible, and the food wasn't that great. But seriously, who has the time, concern, and arrogance to write a letter about their bad dining experience? Leave a bad tip or don't return next time, that's what normal people do.

I was upset when I heard the school's decision. I wasn't sure if I was going to make any comments because it is an issue that is close to home. I believe your phrase "educational babysitting" is quite accurate. You were expected to merely reinforce the parent's beliefs in your teaching. Instead you embraced the opportunity and reinforced the student's beliefs in themselves, and for that I am thankful.

This entry inspired me, as I see a person not overcome by everything life throws at them, and who throws it right back tenfold. I was reminded you something you told me years ago:

"The teacher longs for the day when a student hands back an all-to-routine assignment and says 'try again -- that's not good enough.' It's the desire that spawns from a passionate soul. It's the desire to break molds, burn cities, and banish despair. It's the desire to learn. The falling in love which only comes from an artist who courts the unknown. It's the desire to dance: to embrace, to kiss, to smell, to taste, to improvise, to whisper... It's the desire to be free. Free from all that brings shame to the wellspring fo the soul of humanity. It's the desire to live."

I will drink to you and your venture back into theology. Good luck and thank you.

6:47 AM, August 07, 2006

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Its about time! I'm so happy and excited to see the passion again. The world of theology not only waits, but needs you. Without challenge, life would be mundane and who wants that! Keep the fire burning and take whats good from the past with you. Know that the lives you touched will never be the same. Welcome back!!

10:51 PM, August 07, 2006

 
Blogger stevepvc said...

props to leigh for the above post...I was thinking the same thing about who in the world goes through that much trouble.

1:18 PM, August 08, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Banks,

The school may not have paid attention, but I know for a fact that you got through to most of your students, myself included. Instead of acting like sheep and going with what was expected, you showed us what it was like to think for ourselves and draw our own conclusions. We no longer had to accept the "norm", but rather encouraged us to make our own decisions.

It really sucks that you got shafted, but now it's time to show them what they are missing.

I know you will do great at Vandy. Don't lose your fire and your independent thought. Time to finish the "unfinished business" and kick some ass. You have played defense for quite awhile. Now it's time to play on offense and come out firing.

As I sit at the bar, I raise my glass and drink to you and your dreams of success. You have many people supporting you, just as you have encouraged and supported myself and others over the years.

11:12 PM, August 09, 2006

 
Blogger stevepvc said...

MAtt G,
if you can edit your post to call the walrus "the walrus" instead of his parentally given name, it'll save him the dilemna of shether or not to have to delete the whole thing, which would be a shame since you had some awesome things to say. my old friend enjoys the pseudo-anomynity, for reasons that would probably make an interesting enough discussion thread. But hey, it's his bar, so he makes the rules. As long as he keeps pouring, it;s fine by me.

11:32 PM, August 09, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was my mistake...I realized that after I posted it...

I'll be more careful next time. Thanks for bring it to my attention.

9:46 AM, August 10, 2006

 
Blogger stevepvc said...

REally did love what you had to say!

10:34 AM, August 10, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Well boys...(stevepvc appreciate it please),

I'm finished at Pablo's officially. It's now time for the next chapter.

Thank you all for your kind and quite flattering responses. It's all of you that provide my fuel. I will respond in more detail soon but I wanted to let you know that I'm still here and will be for a long time. This will be a long weekend of packing books and ridding myself of unnecessary items. I'm confident a drink or two might sneak into my itinerary. I look forward to chatting with you more. 2coopers and stevepvc, see you in Nashville...Dante, well, you'll be there anyways... Btw, I met birddog (an old patron here) for the first time tonight at Pablo's. Cool guy. He should be stopping in here again soon.

So yeah, keep drinking. As promised, my best bartending skills are yet to be honed... Cheers, my friends.

12:21 AM, August 12, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there walrus! Coronas never tasted better! Hope the move is going well. Wish we could've spent more time bellied up at the bar the other night but duty called. Maybe we'll hook up in Oct. Thanks for the time!
Bird Dog

6:22 PM, August 15, 2006

 
Blogger stevepvc said...

Emmanuel, she had surgery on monday, and is awaiting the word on whether or not chemo will be necessary. I saw her on mon and tues before heading to nashvegas to help the walrus create his new den, and would say spirits are high although everyone is considerably stressed. Prognosis is good, at this point, but more info will come later.

9:22 PM, August 16, 2006

 
Blogger Silas said...

Has anyone else realized that if you make the typing error 321am.blogpot.com you go to a "Mega site of Bible and information". I think that's pretty funny.

3:54 PM, August 20, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Hey guys,

I'm moved in now and slowly unpacking. I had an insane week last week. I went 72 hours with only 6 hours of sleep, followed by 3 twelve hour days of orientation, followed by a night of poker with dante and friends.

I won't get internet access at home until Tues or Wed so I won't be able to check in regularly until then. I have to catch it on campus when I get a chance. I start classes tomorrow so I'll keep you updated on that.

lb, I find it really strange that that website is so close to mine. It makes me a bit paranoid. What reason would they have to choose that URL unless they knew of this site?

4:39 PM, August 20, 2006

 
Blogger stevepvc said...

Don't be paranoid, amigo, I don't think it's anyhting personal...I checked my own (hardly ever updated) blog, and found the same page at www.journeyplot.blogpot.com

It seems that they've boutgh the blogpot.com domain name, and are mirroring all the blogs there with that Bible spam. Pretty Cunning! I think I would respect the strategy more if they had spent a little more coin and energy on the web design...imagine all the trouble scoring those misstyped hits, and then having that crappy of a site. (the above comments don't imply that I agree with the strategy, or anything about the site at all.)

9:54 AM, August 21, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dante,

Thanks for the update on the walrus...

9:21 PM, August 24, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Hey guys,

I now have internet at home now so I'll be posting an update soon about moving, classes, etc. Check back for a brew sometime this weekend and hopefully I'll have the keg changed by then.

11:51 PM, August 24, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
link to affordable web promotion page
Info on affordable web promotion service.