A Revision of Love
Well, I must admit that the previous post was a rather strange one. I wrote it in one of the strangest moods I’ve ever been in…and I’ve been in a lot of strange moods. (Side note: 2coopers, I’m reminded of my rendition of “spontaneous mood change” boy we captured on camera our freshmen year). It’s interesting in re-reading it because I had so many conflicting emotions and had no idea how to say them. What came out was a bizarre mixture of irony, sarcasm, and honesty…traits which, of course, are not all that unusual for me but sometimes their combination creates an interesting offspring. Hence, the “my answer of hate.” Well, here’s my attempt at breaking it down a bit.
I am slowly but surely re-entering the world of academic thought. I have been accepted to Vanderbilt University’s Divinity School for this fall on a 70% scholarship (which, according to dante, is the next highest below a full). So, needless to say, I feel quite honored (and I’m expecting free drinks over the next week from all of you – I also get dibs on the jukebox). Now, it’s not 100% that I’m going (simply b/c nothing is 100% for me) even though I’ve officially accepted but all intentions are to do so. Re-entering the world of academic thought requires leaving a world of relative comfort and apathy. So, there’s that. Then there was watching the Boston Legal episode and the V for Vendetta movie and then my mind was set on a crash course for induced schizophrenia. And I’m not even sure what that means.
My reaction to the two examples I gave in the post was that of great frustration and anger. I got really pissed off. Then I realized that this stuff had been going on for a while and I became more pissed off because I hadn’t been pissed off sooner. Then I realized no one else seemed pissed off so I got more pissed off. So I wrote a post trying to piss people off…which was only marginally successful (although my debate with shamuboo has apparently indulged my cravings).
What was originally intended to be a purely ironic post turned into irony mixed with sincerity. My answer of hate was intended to be a critique of what love has come to be in some (rather outspoken) circles. In other words, if that’s love (and their interpretation of those sayings from the Sermon on the Mount) then I’m all about the hate. If our reaction to those sayings had managed to produce such things as an unqualified patriotic idolatry and a group of homophobic shitbags that protest at military funerals, then, to put it mildly, we’ve got something to think about. If our rendition of the love spoken about in Scripture produces what is in reality an overt or covert hatred, then I’m gonna take the opposite road. So, to answer your confusion, no, I haven’t given up on love by any stretch, just their perversion of it.
Now, where it gets confusing is my piqued interest in the pragmatic possibilities of “hate” (a misnomer actually – I just used it earlier to rhyme and provoke – “violence” or “anger” might be more appropriate). There is something to be said here. I’m just trying to figure out how it’s best said. I’m working on a version of it in the novel I’m writing. Another version was in V for Vendetta, which I found quite compelling. When apathy, comfort, and idolatry reign, sometimes a trigger speaks louder than an olive branch. Again, I’m still working through all of this so try not to be too demanding for me to flesh it out with precision. It’s a work in progress. But I thought it would be wise to further clarify my last post.
I sincerely appreciate all of your responses to the last post and I have some things to say to them (which I will probably do under that thread). I am glad you reacted as if it were purely sincere rather than also ironic because it was more enlightening.
Oh, and yes…I pinch…








5 Comments:
walrus,
sorry i have been absent..
we spent a week in Colorado skiing but now i am back..
you been keeping track of "hammer" this year?
interesting posts, i'll reread them and see what i can come up with...or better yet, maybe i will post when you answer a stinking phone call...
spontaneous mood change boy brings back memories of lots of hilarious stuff...i'll leave it at that
later, 2coopers
2:25 AM, April 04, 2006
Ahh, dante, I'm rubbing off. An unfulfilled post promise. Hurry it up, damn it.
varotarian, I am starting with an M.Div. and working my way up to a Ph.D. We'll see how it goes. No worries on Applebee's. Those bastards are already suffering without me.
2coopers, forgive my memory lapse but you'll need to remind me what (or who) "hammer" is. Sorry about the phone call situation. I have a group of friends out there who will likely stab me next time they see me b/c of my neglect. It's not intentional or personal, trust me. I just have phone issues sometimes.
Btw, is it just me or is it ironic this post seems to pale in popularity to the previous one??
2:54 PM, April 04, 2006
hammer=willingham
2 homeruns tonight, 1 was against Andy Pettite
more soon, 2coopers
12:14 AM, April 05, 2006
squanchum,
Thanks for the response. However, I am far too tired tonight to provide a coherent response. I will attempt to do so tomorrow.
1:25 AM, April 06, 2006
squanchum,
Well, I’ve been inclined to see Jesus’ actions in the courts as a symbolic act symbolizing the destruction of the temple. However, that doesn’t take away from the fact that he still did it. I think what you’re speaking of (correct me if I’m wrong) is some type of domestication of what we know as love. I certainly think you’re right on that. I’m essentially trying to question a type of “purity” we’ve attached to the concept of love. I’m not even sure it’s an issue of violence or non-violence, even though that’s involved. It’s perhaps more than anything an issue of pragmatism. And perhaps even more fundamentally, a systematic critique of our concepts of sin and virtue. I’m working through this all in my head (in no formal fashion) but maybe that’ll kickstart further discussion. I really think Bonhoeffer’s vision and life embodies something resembling what I’m thinking about. But more on that later.
Here’s a thought for you. I was thinking the other day of where my “spiritual” mindset was at this point last year. That was a rather dark place. What’s interesting is that now that I’m where I am now, a place that isn’t necessarily jaded or bitter, I still don’t feel disconnected from where I was then. I’m just able to think a bit more clearly. And it’s that thought that precedes my thoughts on a potential post relating to some I wrote last year. I’m considering starting another post on the church, perhaps relating to those bombshells I dropped last year around this time. Let me know (and this means anyone) if you’d be interested in that.
Also, anyone interested in coming to visit me next Saturday (April 15)? I need a friend to hang with me at a concert at a local bar in Chicago. Everyone around here’s booked. It’s an indie band called Greenwheel who’s playing at the Elbo Room. Well, thought I’d extend the invitation.
12:07 AM, April 07, 2006
Post a Comment
<< Home