Last Call
Well, I'll have to make this short as I have to go to work. I'm shouting out a last call for comments on the Bonhoeffer/Church discussion. I'm beginning to think I'm standing out in left field looking at everyone else way over in the dugout! I'm not sure that analogy makes any sense whatsoever but regardless, I'm sensing a lack of interest for this one. Perhaps it's time to move on to something more stimulating. And we all know what that topic is... Give me some feedback on this and let me know what you think. I'm off to work. I'll check back tonight.

3 Comments:
Can't post much more right now becaue of timing, bud. Probably be wednesday, but feel free to begin another thread if you wish.
In the meantime, can you give me a feeling for why you believe the church to be extinct.
8:12 PM, February 28, 2005
Concerning the use of the term “extinct,”
I used the language of extinction and species to give a Darwinian feel to the discussion. My point is to show that the church has failed to adapt to its environment (and I don’t mean concede; rather, I mean “respond adequately to”). It has been too concerned with sticking to a particular model or pattern of what it should be and in doing so it has failed to equip itself (read: not allowed Christ to equip it) to survive in the modern context. This is what I meant by “God made us adaptable beings for a reason...and we’ve become extinct. So let’s change the rules of the game and show the “world” that the reason Jesus Christ won’t go away is because he has the balls to let his woman die to become who she needs to be.” I really wasn’t just using provocative language for the hell of it. It’s just the way I wanted to express it.
11:04 PM, March 01, 2005
Hobbes,
You have no idea how much it means to hear that someone else is wrestling with this stuff as much as I am (even if you conclude I’m wrong, you’re respecting the issue and engaging it). I am glad you are going to read Letters and Papers. I think it is by far one of the most significant “theological” (I quote this word b/c the irony of the book is that it’s really not a theological work) texts of the last century.
You asked me 3 questions. On the latter two, see my comment to you and system in the Bonhoeffer thread. If that doesn’t help, then get back to me. In terms of worldly discipleship, well, this will also take a while to explain. It essentially means immersing ourselves completely in the world. Now, to do this will require a bit of re-evaluation of traditional morality and social norms within the church. I’m with DB on this. I think “worldly discipleship” is in essence living life as Christ did (of course, with our own personal narratives and contexts, we can’t just duplicate, we must also create). If you need me to flesh this out more, I will (it might even require a post), but for now I’ll leave it at this.
And yes, ideas do have consequences...thank God...
11:04 PM, March 01, 2005
Post a Comment
<< Home