The New Stuff - Let's Kickstart the Jukebox
Well folks,
Here we go. The new features of thesecondchance. My limited html knowledge prevents me from being able to do this in the best possible format (I'm sure there are better). However, here's what we're going with: Each week (and possibly even within a certain week), I will start a "casual" post that is designed to keep you guys drinking regularly. My "thought" posts will, of course, continue (be prepared, my friends) but you guys can't be waiting around for me to cyber-"think" in order to have a drink or twelve. The posts will either alternate or conjoin in some manner. This week's version of unclogging thesecondchance's keg lines involves getting this damn jukebox going. Here's how it works. You state your artist and song (whether it's a song you really like, a song you can't get out of your head, a song that's inspiring you, a song you can't stop hitting "repeat" on your cd player, or simply a song that annoys the hell out of people). If you wish, you can add a lyric or two that expresses your intoxicated sentiment of the moment.
My first quarter (yes, it runs cheap around here) is going to the crankage of Chris Cornell's voice (arguably the best in modern rock) in Audioslave's new song "Original Fire." The chorus says enough for me:
"The original fire has died and gone...but the riot inside moves on..."
Yes indeed.

9 Comments:
Any band that has the names "Chris Cornell" and "Tom Morello" involved immediately has the phrase "kick ass" attached.
Enough said.
1:47 AM, August 30, 2006
I really love this idea...and here's my 1st $.25 for the jukebox
the song I'm currently listening to is an older tune by Third Day called "Love Song"
The lyrics that impacted me the most from this song are:
I know that you don't understand
the fullness of My love
How I died upon the cross for your sins
And I know that you don't realize
how much that I gave you
But I promise, I would do it all again.
10:40 AM, August 30, 2006
My quarter goes out to "Mad World." It's originally by Tears for Fears, but the button I'm pushing is the cover version by Michael Andrews and Gary Jules from the "Donnie Darko" soundtrack. Especially resonant these days are the lyrics, "Went to school and I was very nervous/No one knew me/No one knew me," and the sad cello that sweeps underneath.
-w
11:40 AM, August 30, 2006
Alright, I'm going to go with Brand New's "I will play my game beneath the spin light" from the Deja Entrendu CD.
Favorite Line: Wrote more postcards than books. I read more maps than books. Like every chance to leave's another chance I should've took.
That's a little "only 69 days left till this damn election is over" sentiment for you.
12:35 PM, August 30, 2006
This comment is from dante (edited by thewalrus for anonymity purposes - he used my name so I'm replacing it with thewalrus):
dante35633 said...
So this is fun: I am sitting in the Vandy library writing this while watching thewalrus do his thing at work. Thought I'd play Huey Lewis and the News "Working for a Living" in his honor, followed immediately by "Mic Check" by Rage Against the Machine, another, but very different (anti-)work song. While thewalrus' situation does not compare to, say, the proletariat Africa or South America, he is, nonetheless, a member of the American proletariat - and has been for awhile. So I give you all the lyrics to sing along in solidarity:
Oh Wait a minute now
Ha ha ha
Come on
Wait a Minute Now
Check
To tha young r to tha e tha b to tha e tha l
Never give up just live up
Fed upon America
We be spittin' it up
Rippin' it up
For an even amount in each cup
To my brothers burning bare feet on black top
Whose curled 'neath tha shadows
From tha gaze of tha cops
Whose huntin' for 9 to 5's through factory locks
Is now hunted on this modern day auction block
Mic Check, ha ha ha
I be the anti-myth rhythm rock shocker
Mic Check, ha ha ha ha
I be the anti-myth rhythm rock shocker, what?
Mic Check, ha ha ha
I be the anti-myth rhythm rock shocker
Mic Check, ha ha ha ha
I be the anti-myth rhythm rock shocker, what?
Check check check check the check, oh
packin
Flexin' and mashin'
With complex text
Fast and in a fashion
That snap back necks
Quicker than a fed cash tha company checks
Come with tha fire only Marley could catch
This be tha flame in tha cellar beware
Nameless cold millions gaspin' for air
Those naked and wageless
Now scream within cages
What, they make you pull your shit
Just to get your share, what?
Mic Check, ha ha ha
I be the anti-myth rhythm rock shocker
Mic Check, ha ha ha ha
I be the anti-myth rhythm rock shocker, what?
Mic Check, ha ha ha
I be the anti-myth rhythm rock shocker
Mic Check, ha ha ha ha
I be the anti-myth rhythm rock shocker, what?
Welcome down with the warrior sound, UGH!
With this mic device
I spit nonfiction
Who got tha power
This be my question
Tha mass of tha few in this torn nation?
Tha priest tha book or tha congregation?
Tha politricks who rob and hold down your zone?
Or those who give tha thieves tha key to their homes?
Tha pig who's free to murder one Shucklak
Or survivors who make a move and murder one back?
This mic device
I spit nonfiction
Who got tha power
This be my question
Tha mass of tha few in this torn nation?
Tha priest tha book or tha congregation?
Tha politricks who rob and hold down your zone?
Or those who give tha thieves tha key to their homes?
Tha pig who's free to murder one Shucklak
Or survivors who make a move and murder one back?
Mic Check, ha ha ha
I be the anti-myth rhythm rock shocker
Mic Check, ha ha ha ha
I be the anti-myth rhythm rock shocker, what?
Mic Check, ha ha ha
I be the anti-myth rhythm rock shocker
Mic Check, ha ha ha ha
I be the anti-myth rhythm rock shocker, what?
7:18 PM, August 30, 2006
Chris Knight from his self titled CD... It ain't easy being me
There ought to be a town somewhere
Named for how I feel
Yeah I could be the mayor down there
And say ‘welcome to sorryville’
It wouldn’t be on a map no where
You might say that it don’t exist
But if you make enough wrong turns
It’da be hard to miss
There ought to a bridge somewhere they could dedicate to me
I'd probably come to the ceremony with a can of gasoline
Walk on over to the other side
Where I'd light a match
Sit and stare through the smoke and flames and wonder how I'm gonna get back
Why do I do the things I do?
Was I born this way or am I self made fool?
I shoot the lights and I curse the dark
I need your love but I break your heart
And I know the words that’ll bring you back but
But I don’t say nothing as I watch you pack
I had to work to become the jerk I've come to be
It ain’t easy being me
There oughta be a side show "act"
For freaks like me
I could be the star of the show w/ my name on the marquee
In a room with a big red button that says ‘danger do not touch’
Twice a day I'd mash it down and you can watch me self-destruct
repeat chorus
1:05 PM, August 31, 2006
I want to play M. Ward's new song "Chinese Translation" from Post-War.
I heard about him a few years ago, and not this particular song, but his previous music has definately affected my musical tastes in a huge way.
Now he's being advertised on Myspace and getting more media coverage. That's good for his career, but I always feel that when an artist gets big, they lose a little of what made them so special to me in the beginning.
Still, I want to play this song, because it's what I've been listening to most for the past few days.
4:18 PM, August 31, 2006
LB, I totally agree. I'm glad for the bands that they are getting more money and success but then everyone in the world says they "like" your band. And they know like one song that was played on the radio while you have all of the last three cds memorized.
12:42 PM, September 01, 2006
My pick is going to have to go with "Congratulations" by Blue October featuring Imogen Heap.
My heart
My heart my pain won't cover up
You lift me up (up up up)
My heart
My heart can't take this cover up
You lift me up (up up up)
-M
6:54 PM, September 01, 2006
Post a Comment
<< Home