Where all are welcome but few call home...

Sunday, September 10, 2006

9/11 Memories/Thoughts

Well, I hope all of you had a good weekend. I watched my Bama boys nearly get humiliated by my home school but thank God for field goal kickers. Bama's got a long ways to go before they reach greatness again. I think that Auburn, on the other hand, is at a really high point and would be my favorite (possibly behind Ohio State) for the national title. Bama has a lot of potential and could pull another surprise season but they've got a hellish schedule ahead of them.

Seeing that tomorrow marks the 5th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, I figured I might seize the moment for a new post idea. I would be interested in reading your personal account of where you were/what you were doing when the event occurred. What were your thoughts at the time? What memories do you have surrounding the event? At the risk of further politicization (which honestly can't be done at this point), feel free to offer political commentary as well. Are we any safer now? Have we done anything to address the root issues?

At the time I was working on my master's thesis at North Park in Chicago and so it was a typical stay-at-home work day for me. I woke up and began my routine of eating breakfast and listening to Mancow's Morning Madhouse (the only morning show that was relatively interesting at the time) on Q101. I heard something about a plane crashing (at the time they thought accidental) into the World Trade Center. By the time I got to my T.V. and turned it on, the other plane had hit as well. When the second tower crashed to the ground, I remember bursting into tears, not due to any sentimental attachments to the buildings or any patriotic feelings of victimization, but simply because of the sheer horror of watching thousands of people die right before your eyes. I then of course became fearful that Los Angeles, where my brother lives, or Chicago would get hit or that we would soon be on the brink of nuclear war. To see something happen of that magnitude triggers all sorts of accelerating disaster scenarios in your head. I remember my paranoia continuing for quite some time. Of course, sixteen days later, the disaster of the world was pretty much erased by my own personal crisis of having my wife leave without notice or explanation. So, in many ways, the fall of 2001 was quite a transitional period for me. With that said, I'll save any personal political commentary for the thread.

Well folks, hop up to the bar, have a drink, and reminisce...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As for my remembrance of the 9/11 attacks, it is probably one that many people can say for themselves. It seems strange to me that it has been 5 years since this happened. Sometimes, it seems like it happened yesterday.

I was a Junior in high school when the 9/11 attacks hit our country. It started out like any other normal day, waking up earlier than I wanted, getting ready for another day of school, and then preparing for our volleyball game that night. I got ready with a little time to waste, so I flipped on the television and starting surfing the channels.

I usually did not watch TV in the morning, but something compelled me to turn it on that particular day. The TV was locked onto the “Today Show” on NBC, and the 1st images I saw was the 1st Tower engulfed in thick smoke. I called to my mom who was in her room and told her that the WTC was on fire. At first, terrorism did not even enter my thoughts; I guess I was a little naïve at the time. I just thought that it was a terrible accident and hoped that not many people were hurt or killed in the plane crash. Before I uttered another word in my prayer, I looked up and the 2nd plane entered the TV screen.

At that very moment the cameras saw the 2nd plane, before it even crashed into the 2nd Tower, I immediately began to think that our country was in grave danger. And then it crashed into the 2nd Tower. I could not believe what I was seeing. It was like something out of a movie, yet this was reality. I had to leave for school, but I really wanted to stay and watch in anticipation to see where this was headed. I ran to my car, and turned on the radio. I too, was listening to Mancow on Q101, and they were reporting everything that I just saw on TV. I knew I wasn’t dreaming, although I wished it was just some terrible nightmare.

I arrived at school a few minutes later, and strangely enough, not many people knew what was going on. Some asked me if I had been crying and asked what was wrong. I admitted that I did, but explained to them what I just saw on TV. At first, they did not believe me, but when one of our teachers came over and talked to us, it became an eerie silent in the hallway.

The entire Jr. High and High school, plus many parents, teachers, and others, all gathered in the auditorium where we spent the next couple of hours in constant prayer. During this time we found out that the Pentagon had been hit and there was one more plane in the air that they could not get to land, and was supposed to be headed for D.C., presumably to the White House. We came to find out later that Flight 93 crashed into Pennsylvania, and it was rumored that the passengers stormed the cockpit and avoided further disaster (although it meant giving up their lives to save others).

That is just a glimpse of my recollection of that day that changed America forever. I think it showed that America is open and vulnerable to attack at any time, and people should not think that our country is invincible. It is far from it. I still feel secure in this country, but I no longer take things for granted. It also gave me a new respect for everyone who puts their lives on the line daily, simply so that I could have my basic freedoms in tact. It also made me wonder what I would have done if I was in any of the situations of that terrible day. Would I be a hero, even if it resulted in my death? Or would I sit idly by and hope that I’ll be ok in the end? It is still something I struggle with, but I would hope that I would choose option #1. Ever since 9/11, I have changed my outlook on life and know that life is precious, and we are not guaranteed anything in the future. It is all in God’s timing, and I should trust Him no matter what the cost is. As we enter the 5th year mark of this solemn occasion, we remember and honor those who gave their lives, so that our freedoms (for the most part) are still in tact.

“We will never forget” 9-11-01 America Bless God

10:31 PM, September 10, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Round 2 coming soon...

3:40 AM, September 13, 2006

 
Blogger Silas said...

I can't really remember anything specific about that day. It began as a normal day of high school. I remember hearing bits and pieces of the story throughout the day, but I didn't realize the magnitude of what had happened until seeing it all in the media during the days(or years) that followed.

1:14 PM, September 13, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
link to affordable web promotion page
Info on affordable web promotion service.