Curious Happenings
Well, here's the new weekly post. I'm going to try and stick with my plan of introducing at least one new post per week (an improvement from my regular posting habits). I'm brainstorming on several new ideas for random posts. Feel free to keep plugging the jukebox if you've got a song. This post is set up for you to offer the most "curious happening" you have experienced recently. This can range from the utterly bizarre to the extraordinarily common.
Well, for me, what comes to mind at the moment is a dream I had last night. Most of my dreams are curious in nature but I had a dream last night that I was hanging out with some friends outside and suddenly we saw in the distance a bright light and a huge cloud. We soon realized we were being hit with nuclear bombs in the distance and were forced to seek shelter in a gymnasium (I'm not sure why that would help at all). I was trying to call up all my friends and warn them but couldn't contact them (I'm confident that's some sort of penance for me being horrible at answering phones). Anyways, I woke up in a panic and sweat only to see my cat sitting on a box at the foot of my bed staring at me with what seemed like a devious grin on her face. So yeah, a restless night and a creepy awakening sent me to work in a general state of paranoia this morning. Well, hope you guys had a good weekend. Cheers.








23 Comments:
wouldn't it be funny if i was actually pam? after much deliberation, i have chosen my blog name as a shout out to my dear florentine poet. i'll have a sierra nevada stout (is that girly - somebody told me sv was girly ... ?)
not to make this solely a dream-post, my curious happening takes place after having fallen asleep yesterday afternoon (church + hegel = somnolence). i dreamt that i was in my deceased grandparents' house i wichita. the upstairs had been converted into a homey little church for benign, holiness-tradition women, who gave me pictures of themselves and invited me to visit the basement. downstairs, an entirely different church had taken over, and had converted the area into a subterranean shopping mall, complete with a back-to-the-future amusement park ride (somehow intended to teach children about the bible). a very intimidating, faceless man was in charge, and i asked him to please not destory any of my family photos until one of my uncles could come remove them. he agreed, but when i returned, everything had been destroyed and i was not allowed on the scene. a friend from div school was with me, and sensed the presence of demons (reportedly, some div school students are good at this), so we ran away. when i woke up, the cat was not at the foot of my bed but was likely downstairs trying to get dante to feed it peanut butter. WHAT THE FUCK?!
4:07 PM, September 04, 2006
by the way, i didn't ask them to not 'destory' the photos, but that is an interesting typo, is it not?
4:10 PM, September 04, 2006
lol, absolutely. I've never heard of Sierra Nevada as being "girly." In fact, I don't know of any beer I would consider girly. But you are a girl (I'm assuming) so you get the pass. I don't know of any beer I'd consider girly.
By the way, what the hell is somnolence? Two bizarre parts of your dream: why your uncles? and why was it a "scene"? Like a crime scene with tape?
Btw, I had a rather frustrating experience in DeHart's class today. It got better by the end but I just have a hard time with Aristotle (I also caught myself referencing God as "he" but then I noticed everyone else did, including DeHart, so I don't think the Divinity PC Police will come after me).
5:35 PM, September 04, 2006
Oh, and I forgot to issue a formal "Welcome to thesecondchance." You've been here before but under a different alias so a new welcome is due.
5:37 PM, September 04, 2006
Last week, I decided to go over to the divinity library and finally check out the renovations. For six years, I have entered the divnity library by going through the main doors of the central library, taking an immediate right or left, and bouncing down the stair to the divinity library entrance.
On Friday, I took the same route. Only when I turned left to go down the curving staircase to the bottom floor, my instinctual step down left me off balance. There were no stairs anymore. The little space that used to be a stairwell down to the divinity library had been paved over. The stairwell was now a little room with a coke machine and a brand new white plaster floor. I tried the right-side stairwell. Same story, new plastered floor but with coffee machine on this side. Finally, I had to ask for help to access the library I've been coming to for six years.
This qualifies in my mind as a "curious happening" because it happened right in the midst of a decision I'm trying to make about whether to stay in my program. These two paved-over stairwells said a lot about ways that just may not be open to me anymore.
-W
6:34 PM, September 04, 2006
w, allow me to testify to the curiosity of your happening - i, too, was thrown for a proverbial loop. walrus, i congratulate you on escaping capture by the vds gender-inclusion patrol, but let's not have that happen again ... unless god's going to be drinking a sierra nevada next time ... what was the curious happening in dh's class, by the way? and yes, reading aristotle is a pain. it induces somnolence, in fact. so does diazepam.
7:22 PM, September 04, 2006
There wasn't a curious happening per se in the class. It was just a bit frustrating b/c I've always struggled with Aristotelian terminology (which thus inhibits proper engagement with the ideas).
8:34 PM, September 04, 2006
emmanuel,
I guess you're right that it was my parents. You'd think they'd take the time, however, to get the information right (even though it's wholly unsurprising they didn't). I got an MA at North Park, not an M.Div., and that was 3 years ago; and Ph.D. work is still 3 years away. Ahh, if they would have only put that I was a renegade restaurant server for two years...
The Hollywood Church is an interesting place, indeed. Weird Al Yankovich is a deacon there...and I'm not lying.
dante,
I wonder what the Barf man predicted about me. I'm confident it was either a preacher or some political position (perhaps even an assistant to Rush Limbaugh). Our respective "conversions" of sorts (along with your wife's ambitions and the fact I'm divorced) would indeed be unwelcome news in the Panther notes.
4:05 PM, September 05, 2006
dante, why don't we get panther notes?
10:14 PM, September 05, 2006
tntitan,
Welcome (back) to thesecondchance. I have no idea who you are, which might be what you prefer. Otherwise, you should provide some subtle clues. The bartender enjoys having a feeling of omniscience.
emmanuel/dante,
I only wish my cat would qualify...
1:30 PM, September 06, 2006
Dude, Your entire comment qualifies as a curious happening. I love it though when you turn into massive rage boy and shift into debate mode.
I wish you had been in class today. It was the best yet and I would've liked to hear what you had to say. I did have several instinctive moments where I wanted to do something provocative just to shake things up (most of my ideas included exposing myself in some way or another). I think it's my own personal instinct of trying to establish my own "otherness." I just feel so subsumed in the movement of Spirit sometimes...;)
7:26 PM, September 06, 2006
I didn't get any panther notes either...and man dante, i think i'll buy you a drink now, you need one after all that
walrus, going to any bama games this year
emmanuel, have fun in Florence...FYI for everyone, emmanuel and I used to call toll free numbers and order crap with fake credit card numbers...comments or clarification emmanuel?
tntitan, clues would be nice, I am curious as well
10:31 AM, September 07, 2006
tntitan,
i do believe I have a good idea...
1:42 PM, September 07, 2006
ok, I'm feeling left out here. You can't give him a hint and not me one. I only know of one couple (who are former alums) but I don't know of them having any kids. Here's some key questions:
Have I ever ran across the roof of your (childhood) home? Inadvertently scared your grandmother? Hehe...
2:04 PM, September 07, 2006
kids? ok now I am stumped again...
2:15 PM, September 07, 2006
No, I'm with you brother. I can't say I'm shocked but I'm certainly angered.
tntitan, I had a conversation with my brother today and the whole Panther notes conversation came up. He and I both were laughing at how embarrassed we were that my mom did that without consulting us. When he read the 95 section though I caught the new child reference and it all made sense. As a side note, I'd like to hear your rebuttal to dante (if you disagree...or even if you agree) if you get a chance. We need some good political debates. If not, well, I'll keep serving the drinks. It's the only way we keep our sanity around here.
9:26 PM, September 07, 2006
Can I just say that I hate my Thursday class? I want to open a vein every time I go. It's a terrible way to end a week and rather discouraging when it comes to motivation. I need a drink but I have to close the library tonight. Maybe I should invest in a flask...nah just kidding...no I'm not...
9:36 PM, September 07, 2006
ok i'm with you now tntitan
9:10 AM, September 08, 2006
hobbes,
Hell no, Roll Tide baby. When you bleed crimson and white you can't try to convince someone it looks like black and gold...
sheckler,
Yes, yes indeed I am... I'm the entertainment and the crowd at my own party. I'm realizing that more and more these days... Good times. I miss you and will work against fate to talk to you really soon...;)
12:29 AM, September 09, 2006
My Curious Happening:
I wrote an entry in one of my online journals (Xanga.com which I've had for a long time)about my CD player getting stolen from my car. I used the word MotherFucker in the post. I received several comments from people saying they were sorry I got it stolen, etc. I also received a comment from my Brother's Mother-in-Law (whose presence in my online network is strange, but which I had been aware of) which reads
"Compromise? I Cor. 5:12"
and then a comment from my Brother's Sister-in-Law which reads
"Wow--bet God liked the language you used right?"
I decided to ignore their comments, but I don't understand them. I am unsure what she is trying to say with that scripture. I suppose she is using the scripture as warrant for strutiny and judgment on me.
1:54 PM, September 13, 2006
lb,
Send me the link to your xanga site. I'd like to read it. The only one I have of yours is the blog (which you don't really post on anymore). I'd really like to respond to them. I think she's trying to justify her judgment of you with that text. That really pisses me off.
6:00 PM, September 13, 2006
If you don't want to post it on here, send me an e-mail.
6:01 PM, September 13, 2006
Walrus,
Yeah it pissed me off too. I knew no one else here would really understand why(sorry to those who are in the dark), but I needed to get it off my chest. I figured you would understand because you knew this person as well. I'll send you the link. You don't have to respond if you don't want to. I didn't feel I should or needed to respond to her, but in a way I had to say something, which is why I posted about it here to begin with.
9:24 AM, September 14, 2006
Post a Comment
<< Home