Spring 2007
Well guys, I had been holding off giving you my new schedule because I wanted to wait til after the drop/add period ended. There was a class I had hoped to get in but it didn't work out. The following are the classes I am taking this semester:
1)Christianity in the Reformation Era
2)History of Religion in America
3)Martin Luther King Jr. and the Social Roles of Religion
4)Happenstance
I am most excited about the last class although it's going to be extremely open-ended. I figured I'd share part of the course description with you:
"By a screening of the French film 'Happenstance' as a catalyst, this course will examine the extraordinary that is ordinary. The focus is upon the practices by which individuals and communities endeavor to construct meaning out of everyday encounters; the course will engage popular interpretive systems such as I Ching, astrology, palmistry, synchronicity, found art, dream, habit, repetition - together with theoretical analyses, such as practice theory, chaos theory, psychoanalysis, and history of science. It will explore the relationships among chance, probability, necessity, and providence and investigate the possibility of the fractured self in an interconnected world assuming responsibility." (I'm sure you're all having profound difficulties in understanding why this class would be appealing to me).
I'm taking these four courses along with 15 hours of work each week in the library. It's shaping up to be much busier than last semester but we will see. I have yet to decide on whether I will remain in the program or not as I am still considering the possibility of teaching high school. It is pretty much 50/50 right now but hopefully the scales will tip one way or the other over the course of the semester. I intend to get up a new post for you guys soon but this week is challenging because I've already got 8 pages of papers and a few hundred pages of reading due this week...and it's only my second week of classes (I can't imagine why I'd be reconsidering this as a career). So yeah, I don't have time for much else. Along with readjusting to the single life again I am, however, making efforts to develop a more satisfying social life here.
I hope all of you are having a great new year. Try to drop me a line if you get a chance and let me know what's up. How 'bout them Bears?? Also, don't forget the Lost posts will start up again soon (Feb. 7th isn't far away...)

5 Comments:
Really?
2:12 AM, January 17, 2007
The tears I cry for you are fake, produced by onions. When I went to college I had classes like Advanced Database Administration and Business Applications using Java. I didn't get to watch and discuss a movie for a quarter! (but I did take Bowling my senior year, I am now a master of the 4 step approach.)
Sounds like you are getting a little overwhelmed. I encourage you to stay at it, we all know college isn't about really learning anything, it is about showing you can put up with all the necessary krap to get a piece of paper (a degree.)
24 seems like it is going to be fun again this year, but I have to agree with Stephen Colbert from Tuesday night: If Saints can't beat Bears then it means G_d HAS to be dead.
7:43 AM, January 18, 2007
Yeah, I don't envy you in taking those classes. The ones I'm taking are enjoyable - it's just that I didn't plan well and got rocked my second week of classes. My schedule and work-load are much heavier this semester and I just wasn't prepared for it. But I'm catching up. Btw, is there something behind the "k" in krap??
I wish I could comment more on 24 but I never kept up with it. I'm going to catch up via dvd's eventually though. I'm hearing too much good stuff about it.
It kind of sucks that the Saints are playing the Bears b/c I've been rooting for the Saints (you know, the great drama story). Yeah, but screw that. Go Bears.
12:22 PM, January 18, 2007
Nice schedule. I agree with Octavio--stick with it. Sounds pretty humanistic/narcissistic, I know, but I make a lot of tough decisions with this question: Which are you more likely to regret: not finishing the program, or getting the degree? Some of us really do envy you taking the time and having the chance to do this. So for the rest of us--see it through. But it sounds like maybe you're already thinking that. And it's really up to you anyways, so who am I?
But from the number of posts, it would appear you're not the only one who's gotten pretty busy lately. New years and new semesters are beginning for all of us, I suppose. 'Hope everyone has a great one.
As for the game, I won't be too disappointed, whoever wins...but I'll probably be found cheering for Da Bears.
9:21 AM, January 20, 2007
Your classes sound interesting. I'd love to take a class or two on different parts of religious history.
I'm taking accounting as an elective that will apply to my major, I had a hard time filling up my schedule this semester, but I think I'll enjoy it.
3:16 PM, January 22, 2007
Post a Comment
<< Home