Where all are welcome but few call home...

Sunday, December 03, 2006

...to another Prelude

Maybe projects are overrated after all...or maybe showing your cards is worse than stacking the deck...or maybe "it all comes down to money...again." Or maybe not. Maybe you've said maybe one too many times. Maybe you just thought ducks walked that way. It's bad luck dude. Calm down, it was just your turn to have it.

But what happens when there's a glitch in the game, and every time the buzzer goes off it's your turn again? Somehow everyone around you simultaneously has a full house but you have to go "all in"...again. You were just on the verge of leaving the room but you managed to win one more round that kept you in...again. Once again, you can't see or even hold onto your own chips...because someone else is calling your move before you can open your mouth. Just because you're at the top of your game doesn't mean you get to skip your turn...because it's your turn again. It's always your turn, my friend. Even your slick sleight of hand can't fix that problem. But if there's any consolation, everything happens for a reason. That, my friend, would be some luck you could live with, huh?

And you thought timing was the problem. Well, yeah. But perhaps you should start with using the right pronouns...and then leave everyone else the hell alone. Yeah, but then no one would have anything to drink would they? Speaking of, you forgot to call maintenance (which, of course, would explain why the beer's not so good...eh, just as well - hot chocolate's all that's hit the spot lately). There's always tomorrow...wait, we don't even have a phone here do we? What's wrong with this place? Someone turn on the lights and wake up the DJ because I've got a business to run. By the way, with what I've got, I'm all in...no worries though, my poker face is so sly you'll still think I'm in the game...and, for some reason, you'll be right...again.

19 Comments:

Blogger thewalrus said...

Stacking the deck might also be a condition for that possibility.

I am sitting at the table. Resisting or not resisting still brings me to the same place.

Ressentiment goes both ways.

When you're marked with a particular responsibility (e.g., parrhesia), you cannot refuse it.

7:00 PM, December 04, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was this suppose to hit me?

6:44 AM, December 05, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Well, seeing that I have no idea who you are or what hitting you would mean, I'm going to go with "no".

12:16 PM, December 05, 2006

 
Blogger 2coopers said...

Harry Anderson once made Norm Peterson think that he could float a quarter...Harry Anderson was also a card trickster

1:25 PM, December 05, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Isn't this exciting?!?

3:28 PM, December 05, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who the heck is Harry Anderson?

4:05 PM, December 05, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Hey khovater, it's about time! I'm assuming you know who the heck Norm Peterson is?

4:16 PM, December 05, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

I was quoting Alan Shore and enjoying the insanity around here.

My comments above make sense?

11:03 PM, December 05, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

2coopers, I'm not ignoring your phone calls. I'm having an insane week (approx. 25 pages to write by Thursday) and so I've been avoiding my phone. I think my mom thinks I'm dead.

11:07 PM, December 05, 2006

 
Blogger 2coopers said...

what ya up to Norm?

10:26 AM, December 06, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Not even the Lacanian lurker can help me out in this game (and even that has nothing to do with Lacan) which of course begs the questions as to why I'm still talking about it.

On the other hand, thanks for drinking folks. I've got 2 papers left to write...and less than 2 days to finish them.

If you're bored with this discussion (can't imagine why), emmanuel and leighbotts have got one going on with their respective blogs.

6:09 PM, December 06, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Check the "random links of interest" on the right side of my blog for their links.

6:15 PM, December 06, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Oh, and not to worry, 2coopers doesn't need a ride home after all. It all makes sense here:

http://www.2coopers.blogspot.com/

I was laughing my ass off. We need Norm to stop by thesecondchance sometime.

4:17 AM, December 07, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Banks - um, Walrus - are you going somewhere right after school ends? Cause I don't think that's fair. I haven't seen you since you were in diapers.

1:12 PM, December 10, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

I don't know what kind of kinky stuff you and dante have been into but I haven't worn diapers since...well, we won't talk about that.

I am going up to Indiana this weekend (15-17) but will be home most of next week. I will be in Missouri from the 25-30 but will be back here from then until semester 2. So we should make some new year's eve plans. We also haven't had poker night since the loincloth era so we should get that back up and running.

Also, you are massive-forget-that-it-doesn't-do-any-good-to-change-actual-name-into-moniker-when-you've-already-typed-it-girl

3:17 PM, December 10, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

What happened to "diapers"?

3:37 PM, December 10, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'loincloth era' is what we played before you got here. don't worry ... new years ...

sorry, banks - i'll never call you walrus again .... SHIT!

4:08 PM, December 10, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

also, when i think of you in diapers, and dante and i in loincloths, i can't get the image out of my mind of the walrus as our giant mork & mindy egg-child. that would be so awesome. i'm not sure what loincloths have to do with mork and mindy ... just that giant egg-children might come from one too many unprotected loincloth games.

5:01 PM, December 10, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Well, I've never had any complaints about my tusks...

7:24 PM, December 10, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
link to affordable web promotion page
Info on affordable web promotion service.