Cancer Update IV: Intermission
Well, I thought I'd stop back in to clean things up a bit. Many thanks go out to goose for keeping the taps open and for keeping you guys updated. The surgery itself went well last week. I have had a few minor complications that have been quite painful, literally, but I'm coming around. My side has been healing well as far as I know. It's the other parts of my body that apparently got really mad when my abdomen was getting all the attention. I had a killer of a migraine the last day I was in the hospital and I have had a couple bouts of illness - fever, aches, etc - as well. I am trying to kick what seems to be a virus even now. I never thought I'd have to focus so much on breathing. Apparently, I have not been taking deep enough breaths (due to my side not making it very enjoyable to do so) so I made myself vulnerable to other pathogens...or something like that. I got an x-ray on my chest today to double check the possibility of pneumonia. I'll find that out tomorrow. So with the exception of a few spectacular bruises and some new bloody healing cuts, I have been told I look pretty good (did you expect anything less?). The biggest surprise I had in the hospital was the utter paucity of sleep one gets when they are trying to recover. I found this rather annoying as I was hoping to catch up on some sleep but...not so much. Even night time stays were constantly interrupted with shots and whatever else they needed to put in or take out of my body. Yes, I hate catheters...especially when those who are in charge of their placement aren't so gentle...I'll spare you the details on that one. I'll just say that I no longer take pissing for granted. I was a proud man when the gates finally opened... I also discovered how inefficient our medical system can be (which makes me want to see Michael Moore's Sicko all the more). I was probably asked at least 10 times what medications I was taking. And I can't tell you how many times the nurses asked me why I was there or what needed to be done to me. I was tempted to just say "yes, just a simple procedure of euthanasia will do" but when you're staying in the hospital, pissing off nurses is probably not the wisest thing. Well, there's some fun complaints for you.
I hope to start back at work full time next week (maybe even work 40 hours for a change!). My bills are starting to cry, I think. Cancer was a bad choice... My mom and dad, brother and sister-in-law, and two friends from Indiana will all be down next week for the thyroid surgery so maybe next time through I can just rock out a bit. I'll be here until then and serve up another one soon so feel free to drink up. Cheers.

6 Comments:
woo-hoo! I regained the ability to post! Blogger hated me for a little while there!
11:47 PM, June 22, 2007
Thanks for the update. Hate to hear about the catheter...I should never had said anything!! Well, here's to the evolution of the body. Cheers.
5:58 AM, June 23, 2007
Update within an update:
My fever has finally left me but it made sure it sent me through the ringer before it did. I spent 7 hours in the ER yesterday (along with the ever-so-patient companionship of goose). After some blood work, an EKG, an ultrasound, and a CT scan, they essentially told me "we don't know what's wrong with you." And that was after they confused me with Mr. Pitts next door. It was also after having to retell everything to 3 different doctors, none of whom took notes or anything. So yeah, needless to say, I haven't been very impressed with my medical care these days. I have a great surgeon (who actually gave me his personal cell # in case I have any questions) so I got that goin for me. I also feel light years better today than I did yesterday. I was beginning to consider euthanasia a bit more seriously. Here's to no more fevers before the next surgery!
11:32 AM, June 23, 2007
good grief...you've had a tough time with this one, homeboy. I'm going to go ahead and say here's to having an easier road next time around!
11:14 PM, June 23, 2007
It sucks that you had some complications, but I'm glad to see that you are doing much better....you're a strong person, I didn't expect anything less.
-M
1:19 PM, June 24, 2007
I hate to hear about all the trouble you have had. In the end, I am glad the surgery accomplished its primary task. Take care, keep fighting and keep advocating for yourself in the desperately ill "system".
9:16 PM, June 24, 2007
Post a Comment
<< Home