Believe Hard, Live Harder
One year ends, another begins. As I reflect back on yet another year of relentless challenges and obstacles, I take a deep breath and enjoy the calm before the storm, the calm only found in a space between, a space where solace must be found in reflection and anticipation. It's a place of residence for those who engage life with an intentionality that defies explanation. No categories. No definitions. No resolutions. Only a space.
At 31 years of age, I find this space to be my home. In 2007, I discovered I had cancer. I was hospitalized 3 times for overnight stays, two of them involving surgeries. I went to the ER four times. I also had 2 viruses, a 3-week sinus infection, a bacterial skin infection, some bruised rib cartilage, and to provide the perfect flourish, the shingles. At the end of last year, I wrote a post called "Resolved." It's a bit odd at times to go back and read what you wrote a year ago. Little did I know what lay ahead. It seems like each new year brings something to me that rocks my world and wrecks long-held or newly-formed resolutions. It's become par for the course. The beauty, for me, lies in the challenge of it all. At the end of each year, I still stand.
There's a disturbing freedom found in the exhilarating challenge of living out the calling of one's life. Perhaps it's fate, maybe it's ka. I recognize both. It's in finding ways to converse with these ideas that one finds true freedom. I live as a man bound by the chains of this freedom. It's why I stand on the brink of a new year...each year...with expectations, hopes, and resolutions, knowing full well that each of them will be challenged or rejected or both at any given moment. But I still make them, each year. I scoff at those who despise new year's day as a "meaningless" holiday as if Christmas or Thanksgiving hold some far more profound message. For me, the meaningless nature is precisely the point. It's all meaningless. But that's where you find it. That's where you interrogate it and fight it and embrace it all in one. It's the challenge of life. New Year's Eve and Day are a microcosmic symbolic representation of endings and beginnings, and the space in between. I'm 15 minutes away from a new year myself. I expect yet another ride of my life...because that's ka...that's freedom...that's the point of it all. In a juvenile defiance, I have two words for the impending new year. Bring it.
Happy New Year to all patrons of thesecondchance. I am thewalrus.

10 Comments:
By the way, I updated the bookshelf and added a flatscreen section on the right-hand side of the page. The Lost posts will resume on Jan. 31st!
12:40 AM, January 01, 2008
I'll drink to the new year. This year will bring a lot of changes for me. I can't wait!
Walrus, I hope it's a good year for you. By what you've written in this post, and knowing that you can never live a static life, I'm sure it will be quite a challenging year, but it will be worth it.
best wishes,
LB
1:48 PM, January 01, 2008
Walrus, cheers and a toast to the year gone by and to the new one upon the horizon. Every year seems to bring with it both moments of childlike wonderment and moments of difficult challenges and adversity. You definitely had your own share of unexpected obstacles this past year. But you also faced them admirably. I am continually amazed at how the good and the bad that make up our experiences have a way of shaping us beyond whatever we may have hoped or imagined ourselves to be, despite the difficulty of our struggles, or despite our expectations. There is often a hint of meaning to be found deep down in the meaningless. Hopefully each of us will find that the ride is always worth it in the end, and somehow see the beauty in the chaos.
So here's to the year ahead - to lessons we learn in the depths of the meaninglessness, to the strength to face and embrace the unforeseen challenges, and to all the good as well as the bad. Here's to friends, here's to the journey, and here's to you, walrus. Cheers, bartender.
1:11 AM, January 02, 2008
Cheers and a happy new year to all!
10:13 AM, January 02, 2008
Wow, I had no idea you went through all of that. Guess I should read the whole blog, and not just a few posts, for context. Hope 2008 treats you better. Keep on blogging.
1:08 PM, January 02, 2008
leighbotts, keep me updated on those changes. I'd love to hear about them. Your xanga page is calling for you :)
goose, thanks for your kind words and provocative thoughts. As I've discussed with you before, I often find that the hint of meaning of which you speak is often found in the grappling with the meaninglessness. In other words, it's only when you face the meaninglessness on its own terms that meaning can be found. That's the "beauty in the chaos," right?
hobbes, good to have you stop in for a drink. It's been a while! You still in school?
4:01 PM, January 02, 2008
Justin, welcome to thesecondchance. Your first round is on the house, per tradition. Reading the whole blog might be a challenge but you should find some highlights here and there. I've had quite the evolution since starting it. In the paraphrased words of Bonhoeffer (writing about his book "Discipleship" late in his life): I might change certain things here and there but I stand by all that I have written. Again, thanks for stopping by and I will work on blogging more.
4:01 PM, January 02, 2008
Absolutely. The "beauty", however bittersweet it might be, is that despite the chaos and despite the meaninglessness, there's often something transcending or significant or meaningful to be gleaned from the experience of it, from facing "the meaninglessness on its own terms", as you say.
"...Despair, and your spirit will never sigh in despondency, for the world will once again become beautiful and happy for you, even if you look at it with other eyes than before, and your liberated spirit will vault up into the world of freedom" (from Kierkegaard's "Either/Or, Part II").
I'll drink to that.
9:34 PM, January 02, 2008
thewalrus,
Yeah, I am still in school for a few more months. I will be finishing up in May. Right now, I am out on the interview trail looking for jobs.
Anyways, It looks to be an interesting year ahead for us all.
9:33 AM, January 08, 2008
Happy new year, amigo! looking forward to the lost posts...are you going to be posting on american gladiators anytime soon?
11:52 PM, January 12, 2008
Post a Comment
<< Home