Where all are welcome but few call home...

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Endings and Beginnings

One year ends, another begins. One day ends, another begins. One hour ends, another begins, and so on it goes. Endings and beginnings, with nothing in between. So why does it matter? Well, it does and it doesn’t, actually. It is only what you make it. That’s how our lives are in general. None of it really means anything in itself but none of us want to accept that. And none of us should. We couldn’t do it if we tried, really. We all need things to mean something, because if they don’t, we’re left with a puzzle with no pieces. But who wants that? I sure as hell don’t. That’s why endings and beginnings, albeit arbitrary, are precisely what we should recognize and appreciate and grasp with everything we have. The alternative is simply too terrifying. And boring.

So we work with what we have to make things interesting. We take what comes to us in life and make decisions, some wise, some not-so-wise. We’re often taken aback by the reality that it’s precisely the combination of those wise and not-so-wise decisions that makes life interesting. It’s the combination of the good, the bad, and everything in-between. It simply is what it is.

There were a number of deaths or endings this year for me. I lost my father and my paternal grandmother. My car was totaled and my favorite dog of all time, Bessie the Hound Dog, also died. I graduated from Vanderbilt University with my second masters degree. And then there were births or beginnings as well. My brother and his wife had two twin baby girls a week after my father died. I bought a new car. I began a third masters degree at Tennessee State University. I saw a Cardinals game at Busch stadium for the first time in my life, and was able to do so with my father, who also had never been to a game. Without the endings, however, the beginnings wouldn’t be possible. We can either bemoan that fact or embrace it. The choice is ours.

So as I have done each year here at thesecondchance (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008), I wanted to take a moment and reflect on the year. I think it’s good for the soul. As the saying goes, we need to know where we’re coming from in order to know where we’re going. Frankly, I’ve never figured out how to know either one. But again, maybe it’s precisely that mystery of it all - the good, the bad, endings, beginnings, wise decisions, not-so-wise decisions – that make life interesting. So I ask you to stand with me at the cusp of a new year and to turn and to take a look back over the year. Take a glance at it all and reach up and tip your hat. It is what it is. Now let’s see what’s to come. Cheers, my friends.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Benji Newbern said...

Banks, you're SUCH a BRILLIANT writer. I wrote a tribute to my grandfather after he died in 02/20008, and patted myself on the back thinking it was pretty good... Your tribute to your dad blew me away, and created alot of tears. I'm so glad you were able to be there for him in so many way.

Per your 2009 Review:
Questions/Rankings:

1. Better or worse year than last?

DEAD EVEN. I lost a gramp in 08, and a granny in 09. And Alabama beat Auburn both years. =)

2. Positive personal or national highlight of the year (pick either or both)

Probably the Obama Inauguration.

3. Negative personal or national highlight of the year

Putting my other granny on dialysis, her having a colostomy on Black Friday, and spending all her time in the hospital since then, only coming home yesterday (12/30)...

4. Favorite sports moment

Michael Phelps' squeaker hand-touch at the wall in Beijing.

5. MOVIES

a) Best

Up

b) Worst

This Is It

c) Most anticipated movie(s) of 2010

The next 007 film, but thats not til '11.

6. TV SHOWS

a) Favorite new show

Modern Family

b) Favorite season of the year for an old show (feel free to include one that started in fall of last year).

I'm not sure I understand the question.

c) A show that got canceled that makes you happy or angry

HA. Whatever Balloon Boy's family had planned.

7. MUSIC

a) Best album

Albums? Who buys albums with iTunes?

b) Most disappointing album

N/A

c) Best concert

I haven't been to concert in ages.

d) New artist you discovered (that you like or dislike)

Jamie Cullum.

e) What stayed in your CD player the longest throughout the year (regardless of how old or good it is)

Anything by Jason Mraz. Heart.

8. BOOKS

a) Best

I reread To Kill A Mockingbird.

b) Most disappointing

There was never a sequel to Mockingbird, called "Scout's Honor"

c) New author you discovered

Sarah Palin. She (or her ghost author) can form .. these things called "words"

d) Book on your nightstand or shelf next in line to be read

David McCullough's 'John Adams'

9. Favorite or hated new fashion trend

Skinny jeans.

10. Favorite Palin moment or Palinism

Seriously? Whats not to love.

11. DRINKS (you can choose among alcoholic or non-)

a) Favorite newly discovered

cilantro martini. haven't tried it yet.

b) Most frequently consumed

h2o.

12. Top resolution for new year

be there for them. be who you are. pamper the nephew. move. join a gym. become jason bourne.

13. Pick for BCS championship winner - Alabama or Texas?

Alabama 34, Texas 20.

14. Topic request for thesecondchance for 2010

N/A

15. Toast proposal

To all the men we've loved before, may they rot in hell.

1:10 AM, January 01, 2010

 
Blogger goose said...

Well said, bartender. Thanks for your post and for reminding us to pause and look back over the past year's events.

Searching for meaning does seem to be essential for us. There have been times in my life when I have either not wanted to look for it or was either too overwhelmed or disheartened to try; or times when I've judged others for the meaning they seem to draw out of an experience, which might seem absurd from my own perspective. But without meaning, without that searching, we aren't really left with much. You're right, all we can really do is work with what we have to make things interesting, meaningful. Every moment is both an ending and a beginning, and I think that may be one of the best ways to look at life. Each year, each day, each and every second, endings and beginnings. Thank you for the reminder to embrace that reality. And may we always remember to appreciate the mystery.

I agree with Benji, you are indeed a good writer. I raise my glass to you and encourage you to continue writing - for all of us here at the second chance, but most of all, for yourself. Cheers.

5:02 PM, January 01, 2010

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're such a cynic

6:31 PM, January 02, 2010

 
Blogger Silas said...

Yes, well written and I hope there are more posts to come in 2010. It is convenient to look at everything in terms of endings or beginnings. Further, we are bound by time so we have no choice but to acknowledge things this way. Everything really does seem to be related to time: birth, growth, aging, death, etc. Still, most endings and beginnings are merely arbitrary, particularly those that can be shown on a calendar (e.g. New Year’s). However, like you I think it’s much more interesting to try to find meaning in otherwise trivial events.

Looking back…I am amazed at all the choices that, seemingly inconsequential at the time, have brought me to where I am today. A lot of my past decisions were not deliberate decisions at all. I’m the type of person who can’t (or refuses to) make major life changing decisions. I let things play out and wait to see what happens, only to realize later that my life has changed in major ways. At the same time, let me say I think “fate” is bullshit.

Looking forward…I have no idea what the future holds. Let’s hope it gets better.

The only thing I didn’t like about this post was your use of the phrase “it is what it is”. It makes me cringe because in my personal experience I’ve heard it used by people in order to defend their own apathy toward situations. I’ve wanted to scream at them “it doesn’t have to be what it is! It is what you make it!”

In this context though, I think I understand what you’re trying to convey. Life is so complex and profound that there is no other way to put it. This circular reasoning emphasizes that fact.

It was our very own bartender that wrote a song called “Endings” that has a line in it “You scream, you kick, you fight against a force so strong you think it’s fate; but then you’re tortured by the stronger force of your will that refuses to let be what is.” So yes, it is what it is, but we should never stop refusing to let be what is.

9:20 PM, January 09, 2010

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Benji, thank you so much for the kind words. I enjoy writing in this kind of forum so I'm glad that it works out well!

goose, thanks for the props as well. Your post reminded me of the great mystery we have discussed as to why humans have the need for meaning in the first place. I suppose I'm speaking mainly from an evolutionary standpoint.

anonymous, realism - yes, cynicism - just a little ;)

10:06 PM, January 14, 2010

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

lb, I was about to leave an extended comment but decided that my response to you might be better served in another post.

For now, I will say that the "is what it is" comment is definitely not meant to engender apathy. And it certainly shouldn't be abused by those who need to justify their actions when they hurt others. I am using it in the following sense: Most things that happen do so for a variety of reasons. Some of those happenings are good, some bad - some of the reasons are good, some bad. I think it is healthy to acknowledge both the good and the bad and to seek to appropriate it to make ourselves become who we want to be. More on this later, though. Thanks for the comment.

10:19 PM, January 14, 2010

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
link to affordable web promotion page
Info on affordable web promotion service.