Where all are welcome but few call home...

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Concert Review

Wow, one hell of a weekend. I took 3 friends of mine on a random 2-day road trip down to St. Louis, Missouri, this weekend to see about 10 different bands play at a huge sold-out radio festival (Pointfest 17). There were no less than 22,000 people in attendance. I'm not usually a big fan of large concerts like this but we all just wanted to get away and have a bit of fun outside of Indiana so we just did it.

The festival started at noon. A few drinks later, we were thoroughly intoxicated by 2:00 P.M. Of course, the corporate radio and pavilion bastards charged an arm and a leg for each of them. But I will say, it was well worth it. We had a blast sitting out on the lawn, sipping margaritas, and listening to rock music. Sometimes, there's just nothing better. One highlight was when my friend A.J. rared back and tried to hurl an empty water bottle as hard as he could into the crowd and he merely hit the girl directly in front of him in the back of the head. I don't know that I've ever seen anything so funny. It looked like he was trying to kill her. We all of course immediately fell on the ground and laughed so hard we lost the ability to breathe for about 5 minutes. About the only downside to that day was a sour hangover by 9 P.M. and a sunburn that looks like I stuck my head into an oven for about 45 minutes or so. I really wasn't impressed with any of the bands until one of my favorite bands of recent memory, Breaking Benjamin, came on stage. Up to that point, it was just a matter of kicking back with friends and having a good time. I had already seen these guys a couple of times but this one was possibly the best yet. They simply rocked my ass off and I enjoyed every minute of it. Well, anyways, I recommend their cd if you enjoy solid hard rock music. Even though I've had their cd for a long time, I'll add it to the jukebox in case you're interested. Some of the other well-known bands in attendance were Sum 41, Story of the Year, Mudvayne, Unwritten Law, and Modern Day Zero. Trust Company and the Exies were supposed to perform but were unable to for one reason or another.

Well, now that I'm back, I'll be able to respond more to the Factor Act Two comment thread. Hope you all are having a great week.

7 Comments:

Blogger Silas said...

Festivals are fun. Probably nice to go to one not in Chicago, since you got to attend a festival and go on a short road trip. Kill two birds with one stone.

3:02 AM, May 18, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Yeah, the road trip was great too. On the way back, we played the word association game for over two hours. Crazy stuff. I don't think I've ever had that much fun on a random road trip before. You'll have to come along on the next one. When are you getting back in town for the summer?

1:14 PM, May 18, 2005

 
Blogger stevepvc said...

I think well-known is an extremly relative term.

10:39 AM, May 19, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Perhaps I should say "well-known" to those who are current rock geeks in the music world. I would certainly hope you had heard of Sum 41 though.

12:35 PM, May 19, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Oh no, they weren't almost beamed in the head. They were directly hit. The good thing is that it was an empty water bottle. It was one of those "I shouldn't be laughing but oh my god, that was hilarious" moments.

12:51 AM, May 21, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

loki,

I feel like I'm reading the Word Court in the Atlantic Monthly. Good to know though. I'll be sure and use the "n" next time.

Being a trickster is just way too much fun to pass up.

3:09 AM, May 23, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Walrus,

I think that Loki was talking to me.

10:22 PM, June 09, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
link to affordable web promotion page
Info on affordable web promotion service.