The Curse of (Making) Love
Well, folks, here we are, the long awaited post has finally arrived. Like all the other posts, I just sat down and wrote it all out at once. I left some stuff out of it to keep it shorter and b/c I thought it might distract from the discussion. Let’s see where it goes...
I will not even pretend to know all the ins and outs of the subject of sex as my experience has been, in some ways, very limited and yet in some ways, not. To some extent I am thankful for this but to a larger extent I am also quite resentful. As I have mentioned before, the timing in my life is a bit, how should I say it ... off. I grew up way too soon and have been forced to attempt a recovery of some of that youth at a later age. Unfortunately, my attempts at recovering a sexual exploration (that did not occur as it should have on its own time due to ethical standards/beliefs) have been a significant challenge. I was one of those few people who decided to wait until marriage to lose my virginity. By this, I mean that I did not have actual intercourse until after marriage. Now, just like all others who have done so, I did virtually everything but the actual act before that time. Therefore, the first time I had sex with someone was with someone I deeply loved. It wasn’t sex and it wasn’t fucking. It was making love.
For some of you, this may seem an honorable thing and I would not disagree with you. But the consequences of doing such a thing (now that I’m no longer with that person) have been rather frustrating. Here’s why. I have dramatically changed since I lost my marriage a few years ago. I am far more confident in myself, sometimes too much so, and I approach life (and romance) differently. As a result, I have had more opportunities to be with women (of all types and ages) than ever before. On any given day, there are a handful of girls, some extremely attractive, others only marginally so, that I could sleep with (from work and social life) if I just gave it some effort. For some, it would probably just be a matter of asking. For others, I’d simply have to work at it some. For someone like me, who has never really experienced that kind of thing until now, it’s both enticing and downright scary. Seeing that I’ve been in a stage of ethical rebellion for a while now, this kind of thing is handy to have in your pocket, pun only halfway intended.
But since my first act of intercourse was an act of making love, it makes doing such things virtually impossible for me. Now, my first sexual experiences in life did not involve love. Just like everyone else, there were the usual teenage flings with this girl and that while I was in high school. While none of these experiences involved love, they also did not involve intercourse. Well, here’s what I’m getting at.
I believe that when a person sleeps with someone, something happens above, beyond, and yet through the actual physical act. It’s a physio-spiritual experience, unlike any other. I have used the example many times of the scene in the movie Vanilla Sky where Cameron Diaz is driving in the car about to drive off the road to kill Tom Cruise and she tells him that when you sleep with someone, “your body makes a promise whether you do or not.” I think there is a significant amount of truth to that. Now, does that mean that a one night stand or even a string of experiences mark you for life? Well, yes and no. Let me give you an example. I was having a conversation one time with the same girl that I mentioned in the Vandy paper about this very thing. It was right after I found out that she had a regular “fuck buddy” on the side. At the time I was pretty pissed b/c, knowing that I was interested in her, she didn’t tell me about this guy b/c it never occurred to her that that might be an issue with me. Not to mention the fact that she was letting her friend use her like a piece of meat. She considered this guy to be a fuck buddy and nothing else. She said that she had “needs” just like everybody else and that it was none of my business what she did with her sex life. (Which led me to ask her, “so you fuck your friends?!?”). Now, it’s true that on the greater level that’s none of my business but I was frustrated b/c I felt that she was leading me along for no good reason. She apparently had been sleeping with this guy for months on end. So, I was like, “you mean to tell me that you sleep with this guy on a regular basis but you have absolutely no feelings for him at all?” And she responded by saying “that’s right.” I, of course, was unsatisfied. I said “there’s no possible way that you can have that kind of intimacy with someone on a regular basis and have no romantic feelings for them at all.” She furiously disagreed with me at the time. A few days later she came back and told me that she had thought about what I said some more and had realized that she did actually have feelings for him and had just never realized it. She just got burned by a boy from a 3 year relationship and she feared attachment. Therefore, she was trying to have her cake and eat it too (and here comes walrus, the asshole, to prove her wrong). At this point, I was no longer interested in her at all and so I was actually sincerely glad she came to the realization that she cared for this guy. She was still a friend and I was glad that she was able to see it.
So for someone like her, who has no sexual standards whatsoever, the same principle holds true. Having sex with someone causes something to happen that is beyond our control. Now, back to me. It’s because of this very principle that I have been unable to do the kinds of things that she does. I can’t just go out and get laid whenever I want to (which is about every half hour or so, give or take a few minutes). I could but I can’t. I have been “cursed” by this very principle which is compounded by the fact that I have never experienced any act of intercourse with someone I did not love. I’ll be honest. I have tried. I went very far with a random girl one night only to have to stop because, despite my immense physical attraction to her, I just couldn’t keep going. My body shut down. It’s like everything is cool all the way up to the act and then somebody flicks the power switch of love. So, here I am at 28 years of age with every ounce of potential, if not more, of being like the “normal guy” who can charm a girl into bed, be cool with it, wake up the next day and go my merry way. And yet...I can’t...because I’m cursed with knowing love...
Sometimes I often wonder whether my beliefs on this stuff have really gotten me somewhere. Sometimes I don’t. But what I wonder all the time is why I even bother thinking about it...much less writing about it... What I wonder all the time is why I can’t see anymore that these things are good...that these things are virtuous, honorable. I’m my own worst enemy...and I’m so damn good at it...which, I guess, brings a whole new meaning to the phrase “keep your friends close but your enemies closer”... Well, I’ve written enough. These are just some things that have been on my mind for a while now. Hope you all are well and my apologies for the lack of posting lately. E is doing a really good job of keeping me distracted. And, yes, of course, I am thewalrus.








15 Comments:
rino,
Thanks for the company. It's good to know someone else feels this way. I suppose you're right: sometimes no options are better than some. Hopefully, it will do as you say and help keep me out of trouble. My problem is just that I like sex too much. But I'll wait it out if that's what it takes. Timing is everything.
2:53 AM, March 29, 2005
hobbes,
My computer ate my response to you so I'll have to type it again tomorrow.
3:46 AM, March 29, 2005
I read this post about an hour ago, but I can't sleep, so I think I should really comment, and hopefully I'll be able to sleep.
Before I can comment on sex and making love, I feel I should talk about the more or less 5 years that lead up to where I am now.
Some of Jesus' most haunting words to me are what he says about lust in Matthew 5. Sometimes I think it would have been easier if I had grown up 20 years ago. I reached puberty at a time when the internet became a staple in everyone's homes. I became involved in viewing pornographic material on the internet on a regular basis, providing my mind with vivid sexual fantasies. Yes, I'm a real sick pervert. Did I enjoy it? Yes. Do I regret it? Yes. I feel that my past sexual fantasies have not only provided a distorted lens in which I view real women I come in contact with, but also provided an angle to which I must approch my real romantic/sexual experience. If I take what Jesus said as a literal definition, then I have had some sort of sexual experience with countless "women".
I think many of you have already dealt with these issues, or come from different backgrounds. On the issue of masturbation, I kind of don't understand what people expect. Take this example: On my dorm floor, we have an accountability group. I expected this to be a sort of bible study where we could discuss our problems and be real about them. It was anything but that. There is a list. It has things like: Gossip, Cussing, Wasting Time, Watching/Listening to bad things, and of course Masturbation. Each guy takes a turn and goes down the list and says whether we did one of the things that week. Then we pray. We don't discuss or really do anything about the issues we just confessed to. I stopped going because I realized it was the stupidest thing ever. I wanted to be honest with my floor-mates, but it seemed I was the only one who masturbated almost every week. I came to the conclusion that either 1) I was the sickest pervert at my school 2) Everyone else was lying or 3) Everyone else possessed extremely good self control.
My parents don't actually say this, but I know they think I'm too young to get married right now, but my parent actually do say that I shouldn't not have sex until marriage. I feel like I'm in some sort of dilemma between what my body wants and what my parents/church wants. Maybe that's because I'm a big pervert?
Throughout high school I've seen my closest friends lose their virginities(not literally seen of course). I initially was jealous, since I, being the pervert I am, was hungry for sex. Then I kind of got this arrogant attitude toward my friends. I thought that I was better than them, because they failed to remain pure as I had. Then I became jealous of them again, and really didn't want to be any "better" than my friends.
So...I started having sex with a different girl almost every week. (ok, this last sentence was a joke. I just realize this comment was way to detailed, and I'm tired of writing. I think I derailed way off subject, but I will hopefully have more directly related stuff to say later.)
One related thing: Why is this so-called love making a curse? I don't see it as a curse, despite it's long term effects.
4:47 AM, March 30, 2005
Walrus,
You said your first act of intercourse was with someone you loved, and since then you haven't or can't seem to experience any act of intercourse with someone you didn't love. I wonder if this is because of your beliefs about sex, or is this the natural way all human sexual ralations work? I mean, You say that the bodies of two people having sex make a promise to each other. But how come so many people in the world today can have sex either without making that promise, or breaking it so easily? Furthermore, What is that promise your body makes? Is it a promise to always have some sort of mental/physical attachment to the person, or a promise to never have sex with anyone else, or a promise to never forget that person?
What I'm trying to get at is: Is sex more than just a physical act only to those who experience it in more than just the physical way? You experienced love with sex, so for you , it's about love. Of course, tell me if I'm wrong in this assumption. I'm not trying to say this is bad on your part, because I mainly agree with you, but I'm
trying to see if it's a general truth about sex, or merely a relative one based on the respective beliefs of the individuals having sex.
Loki,
I think you might be right about the porn thing. It's not just a black and white issue, in which looking at porn is wrong. Maybe some people are able to handle it in a healthy way. I once found porn videos in my parents' bedroom. I don't like thinking about my parents' sex life, but I really wondered what role pornography plays in it, or what my mother thinks about it.
Your interpretation of Jesus' lust comments is new to me. I understand what your saying, and I'm not really sure what I think, though you sound right. I have never efore thought of it in such a context you have given.
3:51 PM, March 31, 2005
Oh dear, we humans really have such a preoblem with understanding ourselves sexually. I agree very much with Dante on the effect of the combination between sexual suspiscions(great word, bro) and romanticized notions of sex. Throw some porn in there and you get one completely jacked up view of sexiality.
I have to keep some cards close to my chest here...just trying to be respectful of what my wife would want me to keep private. I think it is fair game to bring up one other aspect of sexuality though that hasn't been explicitly mentioned, although Dante's description of sexual reality comes close. HOw come you didn't put funny in your list? I think that I would be totally incapable of sex were it not for my sense of humor.
I only agree somewhat with the description of profoundly selfish, though. I think sex fixes us on the boundry of selfishness and service.
4:52 PM, March 31, 2005
Hey guys,
I do intend to respond to your comments soon but I've been overwhelmed with other things. I'll get to it soon. I'm about to indulge in my billiards fetish a little while.
8:06 PM, March 31, 2005
leigh botts,
I think you relate to me more than I thought anyone ever could. When you started talking about hitting puberty at the 'boom' of the internet, that was me. When you said that you viewed porn, enjoyed it, feel guilty...that is me. When you say that you feel perverted because you fell that you're the only one who masturbates on a weekly basis, that is me. When you say that your friends started losing their virginty and you became jealous then arrogant, that is me.
I appreciate your honesty even though I don't know you. I think that if more people were as honest as you are, then it would be a lot easier to confront our problems and to actually make a stand to change them. Once again, thank you so much for the honesty.
10:46 AM, April 01, 2005
leigh botts,
I think you relate to me more than I thought anyone ever could. When you started talking about hitting puberty at the 'boom' of the internet, that was me. When you said that you viewed porn, enjoyed it, feel guilty...that is me. When you say that you feel perverted because you fell that you're the only one who masturbates on a weekly basis, that is me. When you say that your friends started losing their virginty and you became jealous then arrogant, that is me.
I appreciate your honesty even though I don't know you. I think that if more people were as honest as you are, then it would be a lot easier to confront our problems and to actually make a stand to change them. Once again, thank you so much for the honesty.
10:46 AM, April 01, 2005
loki,
"That's a huge issue in 'sin'--do we just keep restraining the dragon until we cannot control it anymore, when it can do its real, irreparable damage?; or do we need a less-harmful 'safety valve' that we use periodically to keep the tension under control? I think the answer to that lies with each and one's own capacities"
I must say that I have never thought about sin that way. It made me think about my own situation very intently. I still don't know the best method for me, but I am searching. Good post.
10:49 AM, April 01, 2005
Is anyone else gettin XXX pop-ups when the come to this site? I find it extremely ironic.
11:31 PM, April 05, 2005
I was somewhat overstating things by calling myself a pervert, but I wanted to emphasize that I do feel guilt because of those things. Where I'm at in my life, I can say I'm much less concerned about it being a "sin", and more how it affects my relationships with others. It was hard to confess those things to my girlfriend, and I definitely don't want to hurt her in any way.
Dante,
I did think about, "Why the hell do think that God gives a shit about your fuckin' sex life? Do you really think that something so relatively insignificant is on the forefront of God's concerns? How freakin' self-obsessed are you?" for a while now. I always understood God to be concerned about all our needs no matter how small, but these words coupled with a movie I saw this last weekend have made me re-consider. I was watching the movie, Saved, and there is a voice-over section of the movie where you can hear what the characters are praying. Mandy Moore's character was saying things like how she thinks she deserves a good year and wants to hook up with this boy. That got me thinking about how truly narcissistic and petty a lot of these concerns may be. I guess it would be better to focus concern elsewhere other than on the self for a change. Easier said than done. Let’s not discuss money, because all mine goes to buying gas for my car.
Loki,
I’m not trying to merely contradict you, but I truly want to know why sex is so binding between two people. You say people who don’t recognize the promise sex makes are ignorant and, regardless of beliefs concerning it, there is something more than the physical that happens. I agree sex is more than physical. We aren’t just physical beings; we have minds, feeling, and emotions. I guess I understand we experience sex through all these things, not just the senses, but isn’t that how we experience most things? Why is it so binding? If I had sex with a monkey, would I be making a promise to a monkey?
Longhorn,
I’m glad you can relate to a lot of my own experiences. Only when people are honest can they find out whether they relate to each other. That’s why I had such a hard time with the accountability group on my floor. It just felt like no one was being real. They had something to hide. A lot of “non-Christians” I know are the exact opposite of this because they have nothing to hide and no reason to hide anything.
Walrus,
After re-reading your post again, I am curious at what you were trying to say in your last paragraph. I was confused by it, but suppose since you are talking about something personal it makes sense to you. I guess none of this really matters to you since you haven't bothered to add any comments to the discussion.
1:05 AM, April 06, 2005
lb,
Are you into the baiting game too these days? The last week and a half have simply been non-stop for me and I haven't had a chance to spend time with digesting everything here. Things move so quickly in these threads after I post that it's hard to keep up when I have weeks like this. I do have much to say to these matters and will get to them asap.
There's a new post in the works as well.
2:40 PM, April 06, 2005
loki,
Well, I wound this sucker up and let her go and she ran away from me. I'm not done here yet...and you shouldn't be either.
2:49 PM, April 06, 2005
gleebox! hehehe..
9:10 AM, April 11, 2005
loki,
I respect your caution in addressing this issue in a way that would be harmful. I guess I don't really consider that much in these posts. Thank you for the discussion thus far.
10:58 PM, April 13, 2005
Post a Comment
<< Home