Where all are welcome but few call home...

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Deep Thoughts

I tip my hat to the good ole days of SNL...

This "person" we call "God"...well, "God" isn't "around" so much anymore...me personally?...well, I'm not sure "he" ever was "around"...and I really resent the fact that I always have to write with ellipses and quotes and parentheses, not to mention the commas...hey, cut me some slack - I have to be academically (and theologically...and politically...which all blend together) correct these days...not that I really give a shit...but, on top of that, I also hate the fact that I'm such a slut for (proper) English grammar...which is, additionally, why I'm not giving a shit right now (or trying not to)...but, yeah, this "person" we call "God"...well, maybe "he" isn't "around" because "he" isn't supposed to "be"... maybe we just don't get it ... maybe we're not supposed to (although I kind of think I do...but only because of someone else who thought about it before I did (and who thought about it in much more respectable circumstances)...his last name is Bonhoeffer...and the only reason I (think I) get it (or him?) is because I'm somehow privileged enough to properly operate in our capitalistic society, despite being "financially challenged," in an environment where I am now faced with such questions ... so...yeah...

Maybe, just maybe, naughty girls need love too...

Anyone catch the season premiere of Boston Legal? God I love that show...

Oh, and yeah...I'm absolutely serious about the whole "God" thing...and in a really optimistic way...

I need to go to bed...I've got an 8 page paper due Thursday...

Bet you can't guess what I haven't started on...

11 Comments:

Blogger thewalrus said...

I wasn't drunk, unfortunately. I was feeling a little crazy and anxious at the moment, for other reasons. Sometimes I like to throw something random together when I'm in that mode. I started to write simply on the God stuff but I wasn't feeling up to it. I'll save that for class today. The stream-of-consciousness style was more intended for bar talk.

I'm pumped about Lost too. Please tell me I wasn't the only one who watched Boston Legal last night. If so, I think I'm going to cry.

2:08 PM, September 20, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

I'm also sad because no one caught my Samantha Fox reference. She was so hot...back in...was it 1988?

2:43 PM, September 20, 2006

 
Blogger Silas said...

Reading that just gave me a headache.

7:08 PM, September 20, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Well, I didn't get to give my Bonhoeffer/Death of God presentation in class today. He put it off til next week. I'll give you some more Bonhoeffer musings soon.

Dante, you slacker...

7:09 PM, September 20, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

lb,

Lol, yeah sorry about that. I'm going to comment on your xanga post soon. I changed the hyperlink on my front page to that site instead of the Henshaw one. If you'd prefer I didn't, let me know.

7:10 PM, September 20, 2006

 
Blogger 2coopers said...

you people are nuts...

I am caught up on Lost thanks to season 1 and 2 on DVD. I am trying to decide if I can stand the torture of watching it week to week or if i will just wait for season 3 DVD.

We are going to the Bama game on Sat Walrus...ROLL TIDE!

9:41 AM, September 21, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, not starting a paper until the night before it's due...I miss college.

10:51 AM, September 21, 2006

 
Blogger 2coopers said...

emmanuel,
remind me about the socks...it is very vague in my mind

3:08 PM, September 21, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Hey guys,

I'm now recovering from my paper escapade. You should have a new post before Monday. Now, I should tend to my patrons.

dante, let's consider setting up a thread for your discussion.

emmanuel, your integral patronage continues unabated. I'll pass on the socks but what the hell is the "Endless Pool"?

rino and 2coopers, it's about damn time you stopped by for a drink. Where the hell is stevepvc and hobbes? Just because hobbes is getting married doesn't mean he's relieved from his drinking responsibilities.

rino, I'd like for you to consider composing a few political thoughts for thesecondchance alcoholics. If I can set up a political column for you and a theology column for dante (along with my interspersed thoughts from my permanent abode in left field), then we just might make the closest attempt at understanding the true essence of thesecondchance. Maybe, just maybe...

2:45 AM, September 22, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

2coopers, I feel I should say that I'm feeling good about Saturday. As a side note, I met a guy tonight who's attending the div school at Vandy who's little brother is a redshirt freshman at Bama. His name is Andrew Friedman and he did some kickoff duties in the Vandy game (in the place of Christensen). Anyways, I'll be with you in spirit Saturday in Fayetteville. Roll Tide, baby. As for Vandy, well, they need to beat Ole Miss on Saturday, badly. They're really not that bad...

2:54 AM, September 22, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

s.u.g.,

Awesome comments. I wish more people would pitch in with stuff like that. Well, Lost doesn't start til Oct. 4th anyway so you've got some time. I had never considered the Bonhoeffer/Lost thing. I might have to think about that one - maybe some paper possibilities in there somewhere (or at least a blog post).

I'm not sure dante is a grammar slut like me (except out of necessity). He's more nerdy than me with theology but I've got him beat with grammar I think.

What is tamarind?

I did read a little on the Time magazine cover story on materialism. It was horrifying. Bonhoeffer would shit a brick.

Tell me more about the Cole book. I don't know anything about it.

As for the God not being around thing: Those thoughts come from a presentation I have to give in class this upcoming week on Bonhoeffer and the "Death of God." Actually, I tell you what, instead of writing all this here, I'll write a post on it this week. I'll send out an email to let you know. I need to post my ventings on the Bama game today though.

12:19 PM, September 24, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
link to affordable web promotion page
Info on affordable web promotion service.