Where all are welcome but few call home...

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

The Factor: Act Two

In some ways, I wish I could begin this post by telling you that this whole Factor thing has been one big ruse and that you’ve all fallen victim. But I can’t tell you that. The Factor is all too “real” and by its nature commands attention. I mentioned in the earlier post that there is likely a Factor in all of us, the question only being what it is and how to discover it. For me, I have found the two keys to the Factor in my life and yet only one of them is really essential to the Factor’s discovery. The catch is that these two keys will evolve over time. Everything evolves. Nothing ever stops.

Now, before we proceed you each must ask yourself a critical question which was essentially explicated in the first post. Do you really want to live? And I don’t just mean having a pulse. I mean really live. If so, then the quest for the Factor must begin at some point or another. That’s an issue of timing and perhaps that time has not come for some of you. Such a quest involves critical reflection (Socrates -- “An unexamined life is a life not worth living”) and risk (Brennan Manning -- “To live without risk is to risk not living”). Whatever you do, don’t be overzealous or overly idealistic here. If you do, it will come back to haunt you and you will resent it. Begin only when it’s time to begin. That time is arriving for me.

The Factor cannot be explained in simple words. It is mysterious by nature. It is because of this that I am unable to just tell you straight up what it is for me. The best description I can give you for the Factor is that it is the thing that gives you purpose. It is the thing that, when you look at it, makes you say, “Yes, this is what I am ‘destined’ to do.” Does this mean that there is such thing as “destiny” or “fate”? Well, yes and no. It’s perhaps a strange parallel to the nature vs. nurture debate. There’s a big both/and going on here. We are given some inexplicable gifts (or drives or desires or capabilities or talents or whatever the hell you want to call them) that lead us in certain directions. We have a great deal of freedom on what we do with these. However, to deny them or try to work against them with every part of your being (and yet even doing that might be essential to discovering them - such was the case for me) will ultimately lead to a self-implosion. Sure, we can do whatever the hell we want to do with our lives. We are supposed to write our own story. But some stories make a much better read than other stories. And it’s usually those stories that are told to your children. I am attempting to pick apart a mystery here which doesn’t do it justice. But I wanted to give you a better idea (since I have done a poor job up to this point) of where I am going with all of this.

The keys (at this point) for thewalrus:

Key One: The novel

Key Two: The girl

The first key is absolutely essential. The second key could turn out to be but is not at this point. The second key can always change into something else. The only reason I feel that Key Two is even a key is because it is interacting with Key One and helping it to develop. Key Two is (I think) the more potentially explosive of the two. That is because it potentially deals with the only thing that can make or break the Factor for me: love. The one thing that I adore and fear the most in life.

But I assure you, when the Factor is made known, “Nothing will be the same. Nothing will be what it seems. And everything and everyone who encounters it will have to reckon with its force...

because it will have won from the inside out...”

Pardon my repeat ending and my sudden departure but I should get back to writing my novel before nighttime arrives... I’ve got a dinner appointment to catch...

9 Comments:

Blogger thewalrus said...

squanchum,

I don't know. There's something about vocation that doesn't resonate the same. Maybe it is the baggage, I'm not sure.

The keys may need to unlock many doors. I'm not sure what they will lead to - perhaps it is a mode of being. I do believe it is a "bringing forth of what is unique to the self and specific to the self's landscape" although this is always changing due to one's experiences in his/her environment.

I think your thoughts in the "Key One" paragraph may be on target as well. Perhaps it will be a fusing of a kind of ethos. I really don't know where the novel will lead, which I think is precisely how it must be done for me. It must reveal itself through me without me writing the final chapters too soon.

1:01 AM, May 12, 2005

 
Blogger stevepvc said...

the plot thickens like a nice red sauce that will be applied to tasty meatballs.

so the walrus leaves enigma behind, and steps somewhat into the light, if only to clarify what still remains in the dark.

9:24 AM, May 12, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

loki,

My self-imploding buddy - There's a "line" somewhere between those adjectives I think.

squanchum,

Yeah, let's not give me that title yet. When I come home from work, I smell like cheeseburgers, not incense. I'm not even sure that made any sense but it's what came to mind. When you are referring to the non-religious language, do you mean "the factor" or something else?

system,

Put your pants back on and stop pouring marinara sauce on yourself.

I loved your last sentence. I think you guys are learning how to describe this stuff better than I am.

2:16 PM, May 12, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

loki,

"Clarifying" and "disillusioning" that is.

2:17 PM, May 12, 2005

 
Blogger Silas said...

Honestly, when you showed me the girl at Applebees, my ideas about the factor were confused even further. I presumed you had or expected to be falling in love with her and were making a huge deal about it at the secondchance. I didn't understand why you were so cryptically trying to tell everyone that you were in love. I think I was slightly wrong in my assumptions.

You asked us, "Do you really want to live?" I think we all do, at least I do. The hard part is knowing what that means. I am glad you am starting to see what that means for you. My question is how does the Factor have anything to do with those of us here on the Secondchance besides you?

I wonder how much you're life writes that novel vs. how much that novel writes your life. Where is the line between those two things?

12:24 AM, May 14, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Hey guys,

I'm leaving in a few minutes with a few friends to go to St. Louis for a concert festival tomorrow. I will respond to your comments (including you lb) as soon as I get back. Later.

5:53 PM, May 14, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

lb,

Yeah, I was afraid that after I told you it would seem that that's all I was referring to. But I'm not in love yet. It's too early for that.

So far, the Factor discussion here has been primarily about me simply b/c I was overwhelmed with curiosity calls and comments about it. But I do think it goes beyond what I have described for me. Perhaps it is a new language that I am allowing to be born from my experience (re: squanchum) that describes the stuff of existence in a faithless world better than traditional language. At least it helps me to explain it better to myself. It's also about the search for that thing that drives you unlike any other.

I loved your last question. I think there is some sort of dialectic that occurs between those things. In many ways, the novel is absolutely writing my life but my life is shaping and changing the novel as well. It's precisely the line between those two things that is the line that we all must seek. Otherwise, we will risk losing far too much.

Am I helping to explain this or am I making it more confusing? What does all of this mean to you?

2:14 PM, May 17, 2005

 
Blogger Silas said...

Yeah I understand what you mean by the two things being some sort of dialectic.
I asked that question because there was no other way for me to clarify what I was thinking, thoughts which have been sparked by this Factor talk.

You aren't merely writing a piece of fiction, where you are real and the novel is fake.

In some ways, artists live more through their pieces of artwork, than they do in ordinary life. The artist truly has free-will, and other powerful characteristics, in their work. Whereas ordinary, everyday existence ("having a pulse") does not allow for life to be lived how it could.

You asked, "Do you really want to live?" I think maybe this life that you speak of, and that you are experiencing, can only exist in various metaphysical realms (a novel, music, a picture, things we create).

3:27 PM, May 17, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

As usual, you're on target with everything. The importance of the novel cannot be underestimated for the very reasons that you point out. In fact, one of the points of the novel is the very unclear delineation between fiction and reality, literature and life. I am living in the artwork and the artwork finds its life in me. Perhaps this is one of the only ways to find that different kind of life: create it and let it create you.

P.S. -- I've written a couple of new songs as well. I'll show them to you when you come up if you're interested.

1:25 PM, May 18, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
link to affordable web promotion page
Info on affordable web promotion service.