Where all are welcome but few call home...

Saturday, November 19, 2005

The Iron Bowl 2005

Well, I thought I would finally create a football post for us Alabama maniacs. Whoever wins is allowed the bragging rights in this thread. Only those from the state of Alabama can understand the true intensity of this rivalry. I have lived outside of the state now for over 10 years and I still have the University of Alabama in my blood...and I never even went to school there. Not much about it will ever make sense. Nevertheless, I still get nervous every Saturday (even when we play Utah State) hoping my beloved team will pull through. I was beginning to think that Tennessee had surpassed Auburn in the rivalry ratings but all it takes is for Iron Bowl Saturday to arrive and I remember why: it's the Iron Bowl. People ask me around here - Why is this game so important? My answer: Because it's the Iron Bowl. They say: Well, now you can't win the national championship and only by a long shot can you win the SEC championship. So, why does it matter? My answer: Because it's Auburn. They say: Why would you take off work for a football game? My answer: Because it's the Iron Bowl. They say: Why do you think it's the biggest rivalry in the nation? My answer: Because it's the Iron Bowl. They say: Well, why are you such a die-hard Bama fan if you didn't go there? My answer: Because right after you're born in the state of Alabama, they spank you and you either say, Roll Tide! or War Eagle! Me? Well, apparently I said Roll Tide. Some answers just come that easy.

Iron Bowl Saturday is in reality the only day I hate Auburn all year. But today, believe me, they're my worst enemy. You mention their name and my blood boils.

That being said, bring on the hard hits, bring on the flashy offense, bring on everything you got. Because today, absolutely nothing matters, except the Iron Bowl...

Roll Tide, my friends...

5 Comments:

Blogger thewalrus said...

I'm still waiting for the deserved heckling... My comments on the game must succeed the heckling so I patiently wait...

3:38 AM, November 20, 2005

 
Blogger 2coopers said...

walrus,
I am mourning.
I am disappointed.
I am heart broken.
I am beat down...
But never the less...
I proudly proclaim...
ROLL TIDE ROLL!
I will not be shaken.
ROLL TIDE ROLL!
I will not give up.
ROLL TIDE ROLL!
I remain hopeful.
ROLL TIDE ROLL!
I say with pride...
ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

11:54 AM, November 21, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

I do think Bama's performance in the 1st quarter was one of the worst displays of a football team I have ever seen. If we didn't have the first quarter, our defense would've won the game. But we dug ourselves way too big of a hole and couldn't come out. I have a profoundly deeper appreciation for how important the O-Line is in every phase of the offensive scheme. We couldn't hold anything. Hence the 11 sacks. And Brodie is purely a pocket passer, which means if there's pressure, he caves. He has no scrambling ability at all. I think that will keep him out of the pro's honestly. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of John Parker Wilson though. I think he's got potential. Next year's Bama team will be the opposite of this year's: good offense, young defense.

I think Auburn has an outstanding football team and most likely the best in the SEC. I think they have a lot of talent and a great coaching staff too. I really don't have any shame in losing to them or LSU. It takes away from such a good season b/c it's at the end (and it's Auburn) but Bama had a damn good season and is without a doubt on the way back from sanction hell. In a few years, we'll be back in the national title race on a consistent basis.

That being said, I'm still pissed the ref's didn't give us that safety we clearly had. A safety is just one of those defense gems you treasure. Of course, it would've made little difference in the outcome but I still wanted it.

Well, at least I've got some hope with the Bears this season.

1:53 PM, November 21, 2005

 
Blogger stevepvc said...

crap, that sucks when your hope is the bears.

12:05 PM, November 23, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Hey, we just beat Carolina on Sunday 13-3. We've won 6 in a row and we're 7-3, my friend. A winning record is enough for me right now.

9:13 PM, November 23, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
link to affordable web promotion page
Info on affordable web promotion service.