Thoughts on Katrina
Well, I’m so pissed off and frustrated right now that I thought I would stop in, bartend, and chit-chat a while. Over the past few days, we have been consumed with images, stories, and continuous developments on the situation in the New Orleans region. I thought it would be appropriate to post some thoughts.
First of all, I’m not really the sentimental type when it comes to situations such as these but I am truly heartbroken for the people in that area. The devastation will likely turn out to be the worst natural disaster in well over a century. And yes, we’re in the 21st century. Sometimes it takes something like this to make us wake up and realize we’re a hell of a lot smaller than we often think we are. In a short amount of time, two things leveled one of our prized cities: wind and water. And here we are, the richest country in the world, scrambling like a kid caught stealing, trying to find a way to remedy a horrible situation of vast proportions. I have a few thoughts on this.
By no means do I wish to take a situation like this and politicize it. If you feel this is the case, I do apologize. But I am so pissed off right now that I need a place to vent. New Orleans has slid into anarchy because tens of thousands of citizens, mainly those who are low-income and minorities, are without food, water, habitable shelter, and medical attention. Why? We are now approaching the fifth day since the disaster occurred and the richest country in the world with the most accessible resources has yet to find a way to provide adequate relief? And yet we’re appalled because it’s slid into chaos? Hell, if my family was living in the middle of 20,000 other desperate people with feces, urine, trash, rotting flesh from dead bodies, and God knows what else surrounding me, I’d want to start a riot too. This is America, after all. A guy in New Orleans named Daniel Edwards framed the matter succinctly. Speaking to his country, he said, “You can do everything for other countries, but you can’t do nothing for your own people...You can go overseas with the military, but you can’t get them down here.” A simple truth.
By no means am I saying that the relief effort is an easy task. But, year after year, disaster after disaster, we continue to be unprepared and caught off guard to an unreasonable degree. And yet, we’re spending a hell of a lot of money, resources, and people to transform Iraq into our brand of a democracy. Let’s not mention the oil either. Yeah, I’d love to hear now from all the arrogant bastards who bitch about our shift to hybrid cars and other alternative means of fuel and energy. Where’s your reasoning now? You think we’re really that proud country who no one can touch? Pocket your 9/11-prompted blind patriotism for a moment and use your head. Contrary to W’s Texas rhetoric, we’re not the international cowboy. Speaking of W, here are his profound thoughts as he was flying over the damage, “It's devastating. It's got to be doubly devastating on the ground.” Damn, ya think so? And let me also say that I’m so incredibly impressed with how effective our Federal Emergency Management Agency has been in this situation. I mean, hey, the director is saying that the reason so many are dying is because they ignored the evacuation order. Yeah, you’re probably right. So, tell me, how does the air conditioning feel in your Washington office right now? And uh, hey, I’ve got an idea. Do your job and don't shift the focus away from your responsibility.
I’m sorry, guys, but I’m pulling the stops because I’m pissed. Again, I’m not trying to make this a political issue (believe me, I was disgusted with our Administration long before this), but this is ridiculous. My friend E and I are trying to get together a group of people to go down and assist in the relief efforts. Somehow, being pissed off, disturbed, and hurt just doesn’t cut it for me I guess. Maybe I can go help someone rebuild their roof or carry their baby or whatever needs to be done. I hope it works out so we can go.
If nothing else, this whole situation is certainly a sign of our vulnerability and weakness as citizens of humanity. I had a lady at work tonight start complaining because her garlic bread didn’t come in time. You have no idea how bad I wanted to slap her in the face. So, yeah, next time I’m in the drive-thru at Wendy’s and I start bitching about how long it’s taking, I give you my word, I’ll slap myself. Shame on me. Shame on us...








7 Comments:
I agree
but...
am also proud of the way a lot of communities are trying to do something to help. Yes, they're having a circus with the official relief, but there are a ton of folks dropping work, etc, and heading tdown with pickups full of water and chainsaws. we get to see a lot of that down here, so I thought I'd spread the word.
that doesn't recuse any blame for the officail efforts, or their failures to mmobilize the relief that other people are offering.
8:50 AM, September 02, 2005
stevepvc,
It's good to hear there are communities out there willing to help. But, yes, you're also right that it doesn't excuse the governmental efforts. And as far as I'm concerned, the New Orleans mayor should run for President in 2008.
12:16 AM, September 03, 2005
walrus
i completely agree. FEMA has been a joke for a long time but it's pretty interesting that we could get funding for Iraq, New York, and the Tsumani victims yet New Orleans can't get any love.
the fact that the majority of those involved in this tragedy are poor and black. it's ridiculous.
you've gotta take yourself back to locke. what is the purpose of government? he would say to do what men cannot do as individuals and must do as a combined effort and to provide the protection of property.
i would think hurricane relief efforts would fall under the first portion of that statement. yet for some reason, we are incapable of getting help down to these people.
seems to me that our president and this congress still need to realize that government is for solving problems like this--not legislating morality or creating a state religion.
1:23 PM, September 03, 2005
megan,
yeah, it's a disgrace on so many levels.
Did you hear about FEMA sending refugees to the wrong place? Check this out:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/06/katrina.charleston/index.html
And how about Barbara Bush's intelligent comment on the "underprivileged"? Dear God...
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001054719
2:25 AM, September 07, 2005
yeah i saw Bab's comments...horrible. However, now the federal goverment has had the worst idea ever.
they're giving everyone debit cards with $2,000 credit. I'm taking bets on how long it takes to see someone on tv walking around with about 50 of them...
2:41 PM, September 09, 2005
i had the privledge of seeing the walrus earlier this week and he has not vacated to new orleans thus far...
10:59 AM, September 17, 2005
Probably shouldn't check my apartment without proper protective gear... I do have a vicious beast that lives in my quarters. She's sweet until you look her in the eye. Don't do that for long though because you'll lose it.
3:36 AM, September 19, 2005
Post a Comment
<< Home