Where all are welcome but few call home...

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

"In the Name of Jesus"

Well, guys, here’s an intermittent post for you. I have so much on my mind now that if I actually took the time to unload it and explain all the different aspects of the situation from which I’m speaking, it would likely overwhelm you and make you want to beat yourself in the head without pause. But I thought in the meantime, I would throw you a bit of a curveball and write something specifically about Jesus. A relatively short one, but hopefully thought-provoking nonetheless.

It strikes me in these days, that is, those days where one of our supposed Christian leaders calls for the assassination of Hugo Chavez, that one's efforts at emulating the life of Jesus as a witness to him are perhaps ultimately futile. I realize sometimes that on a daily basis (despite all my efforts to the contrary) I end up emulating the life of Jesus in many ways (whether it’s work, friendship, and...well, I guess that’s all right now). This is not a matter of pride, I hope you all know, but more a matter of reality. I can’t really credit myself with something when I’ve been trying to run away from it. I’m really not so much running away anymore but I’m still not connected. Connected with...well, that’s still to be known. I would love to say Christianity. I would love to say Church. I would love to say a lot of things but it simply wouldn’t fit. That’s beside the point. What I’m trying to say is that I would love to be in a conversation with someone and then say something like “see, that’s the kind of thing Jesus would do.” It’s funny because as soon as I write that very sentence, I hate it. And I’m sure a number of you do as well. Hell, I might as well jump in the Christian business of marketing bracelets with acronyms or whatever the latest fad is. I haven’t had any exposure to the Christian contemporary culture as of late so maybe there’s something newer that would be more pertinent. Pardon my obsolescence.

Anyways, there’s a certain fundamental level of understanding the person of Jesus that I think many don’t get anymore. Maybe they’ll only understand when they’re looking at their friend who they’re disagreeing with on a certain point so badly that they want to punch them in the face and yet they love them enough to lay down in front of a train for them. Maybe they’ll only understand when they have to hurt someone they love in order to get them to wake up and smell the damn coffee. Maybe it’s when (to use a popular, readily accessible example) they read their Bible and they look at their church or “church-goers” in general and they see the difference between light and day. (I myself have grown tired of even using that last example but when I have a handful of people fresh out of church come to Applebee’s and order premium sirloins and treat me like I’m a piece of shit, then I have no choice but to come back to it). In some ways I’ve become perhaps what many should want to become: an honest person who tries to live an honest life. A hyper-simplistic version of the Christian life. The only reason I don’t feel truly “Christian” is because I’m not connected. I have my friends, too many for me to even return a good friendship, but I regularly feel really fucking alone in just trying to fight the simple, honest (what some would call Christian) life of a good citizen of humanity. I’m not trying to be condescending, anti-intellectual, or even redundant here. I’m just stating where I’m coming from.

We’re just not getting it anymore and I often ponder whether we ever will under conventional circumstances. Sometimes I just want to be able to think that I’m doing something “in the name of Jesus” and it somehow mean something different than the connotations of which it carries. Fuck Pat Robertson and all that he says and stands for. But fuck me too for not trying hard enough. (Dante, I’m not trying to put him and I in the same boat to hell here, just trying to mark my culpability).

Throw some ideas my way, folks; it’s just a conversation right now. Much of this post is rhetorical (partly meaning that I have already predicted most of how anyone would respond) and not argumentative but I wanted to say it nonetheless because it’s on my mind and I’m way too damn late on posting something new. So, yeah, there you have it. Anyways, I hope all of you are well.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I could understand the last few things in the post a little better if I knew who this Pat Robertson guy is and what he has to do with anything.

I feel stupid for even asking this, but would anyone care to fill me in?

12:17 AM, August 25, 2005

 
Blogger Keith Brenton said...

I read an absolutely brilliant response to the very same thing you expressed - not being connected. She told a checkout clerk who said he was a Christian but didn't go to church: "That's too bad. Somewhere there's a church that's missing out on the chance to know you."

The challenge, of course, which undermines the brilliance of her response is in FINDING the church that realizes it's missing out on the chance to know you.

You are doing something in the name of Jesus. Back when we could afford to eat out, I used to leave a hefty tip for the really good servers, along with a calling card on which I would scrawl, "(Name), thank you for modeling the servant nature of Christ for my kids."

Don't boot yourself for not trying harder. Just be the follower you already are, man.

And keep trying to find a place to fit in. You deserve it, and so do they.

3:19 PM, August 26, 2005

 
Blogger stevepvc said...

Okay, on a limb, perhaps, but for the walrus:

Missing from your post is any comment on your connection with christ. IT seems much more relevant than your connection with Pat Robertson.

To bring this discussion way around to the other end of the circle, wasn't that type of christological connection signifigant to Bonhoeffer's view of the church...that we are connected to people through (and only through, for him) the mediating Christ?

I just think your perspective has been a bit skewed when you have a hard time considering yourself a christian because you're more like Jesus than you are like Mr Robertson.

10:27 AM, August 29, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

stevepvc,

Thanks for the response. It would be difficult for me to express my "connection with Christ" per se simply b/c I have no connection with the Church. At one time, I would have said that the only way to Christ is through the Church but I'm not sure that's the right approach. My connection with Christ, however, is partly tied up with (and necessarily so) my connection to the Church; hence, a big reason for my feeling of "disconnection." But it's not just a physical connection b/c part of my post was meant to imply that even if I was active in a local church, I would still feel disconnected b/c of the issues I outlined.

10:31 AM, August 30, 2005

 
Blogger 2coopers said...

walrus,
if memory serves me right, you were connected at one point...meaning you had a church family that you were quite fond of...correct me if i am wrong and maybe offer a little bit of explaination (maybe you already have) as to why things are different now (possibly location being the biggest)

what's the verdict on oct 15th??

2:55 PM, August 30, 2005

 
Blogger 2coopers said...

i should go ahead and say that i don't think that being fond of necessarily means connected...sorry for the mislead

2:55 PM, August 30, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

2coopers,

I did have a church family with whom I felt connected while I was in Chicago. I don't anymore for several reasons and yes, one is location. It's also b/c, due to the church's location and the mobility of its members, there is a high turnover rate. There are only a few of my friends who are still there. They also didn't handle a situation well with one of my friends who was head of adult education there. I was already gone when it happened but I found it deeply hurtful and representative of its leadership. But all those things are simply personal. Even when I was there, I felt like it was one of the few churches on the planet with whom I would have felt comfortable.

Oct. 15 isn't looking so good for me right now. I'm really trying to dig into job hunting so I may have to take a rain check this year.

4:53 PM, August 30, 2005

 
Blogger Silas said...

Doesn't it seem like once you or I or anybody does something "in the name of Christ" they are automatically put "in the same boat" on some level as Pat Robertson and others like him? For that reason alone, some things done not "in the name of Christ" will have greater effect or purpose. I remember being so pissed off at my 8th grade homeroom teacher, I told my mom I didn't want to be a Christian anymore because I didn't want to believe in the same god as her. Ha...I don't know what I'm getting at, but I wonder if it's relatively close to what you are saying. How is the Factor going these days?

2:28 AM, September 02, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

lb,

I couldn't have said it any better. What you are saying is precisely what I'm talking about.

I'm considering another Factor post soon so I'll keep you updated. My novel will crank into high gear this month b/c it is September after all. That should get the juices flowing...

Btw, are you coming Sunday night to the grill-out?

3:33 AM, September 02, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
[url=http://hkrkmiye.com/vexz/hkgr.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://fsuolrwg.com/agxf/tdyr.html]Cool site[/url]

7:28 PM, September 18, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
http://hkrkmiye.com/vexz/hkgr.html | http://vbbttpzg.com/mwog/pztw.html

7:30 PM, September 18, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
link to affordable web promotion page
Info on affordable web promotion service.