Where all are welcome but few call home...

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Alabama, Play to Win

Ok, I need to vent some from the game yesterday. Those of you who watched know that Bama got beat by Arkansas in double overtime, 24-23. It was one of those games where we simply whipped the other team but somehow they managed to stay in the game and capitalize on our mistakes...and oh were there mistakes. First, we had 11 penalties (more than the 3 previous games combined). Second, our placekicker decided to miss 3 field goals...and an extra point (2 of the field goals would've won the game). The third mistake is the biggest and I'll discuss it at length.

Mike Shula, et al., are still coaching as if we were in the Bear Bryant era. We continue to make conservative play calls on offense that cause us to lose games. We have a quarterback, JP Wilson, who's a first-year starter who shows more promise than Brodie Croyle. We have two of the best receivers in the country. However, our "sensational running back," Kenneth Darby, has been everything but. And guess who our coaches have consistently gone to in order to make key plays? Yep, Kenneth Darby. He was wonderful for 3 years but now the guy is injured and has lost his technique for whatever reason. The backup running back is playing far better and we don't use him. So what do we do? We go to Darby, because "maybe he'll be better this game." Well, now that we're a quarter of the way through the season we might want to start thinking maybe he won't. We had an opportunity to win the game yesterday in overtime. What did we do? We gave it to Darby 3 plays in a row. No first down. But hey, we can always kick a field goal right? Um, no. By the way, I saw Darby talking smack multiple times to Arkansas yesterday. I'm thinking, dude, you royally suck right now. You're embarrassing yourself so shut your mouth.

Here's the thing. What made Steve Spurrier such a great coach is that when he got inside the opponents' territory, he never thought field goals were an option. He was going into the end zone. Alabama will never compete on the level that, for example, Auburn is right now because they're more afraid to lose than they are committed to winning. So what if Wilson gets intercepted? At least we can say we tried. Running Darby 3 plays in a row (when our quarterback is having a sensational game throwing) isn't trying. It's playing for the field goal. I don't know whether the blame is initially on Dave Rader, the off. coordinator, or Shula but the buck stops with Shula. Many are asking him to step down but that would be one of the worst decisions Bama could make. Shula is a great coach but he has to stop worrying about losing. If Alabama makes some changes concerning play calling on offense, we will compete for the SEC West. Next year, we'll win the conference and possibly compete for the championship...but only if we start playing to win. Bama will beat Florida on Saturday if we make these changes. Mark my words.

Play to win, Coach.

15 Comments:

Blogger thewalrus said...

Well at least the Bears won today and are now 3-0.

3:37 PM, September 24, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

On other nerdy Bama news:

DeMeco Ryans leads the Houstan Texans in solo and total tackles.

Roman Harper leads the New Orleans Saints in solo tackles and is third in total.

3:56 PM, September 24, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Walrus,

I feel your pain about 'Bama Football. As a die-hard Cubs fan, it's so frustrating to have no pitching, yet they use the same pitchers to close out games..."Oh maybe they'll break their slump and actually notch a win for us today" How many blown saves and games does it take to figure out that something isn't right? I'm sick of it...Coaches need to change their "strategery", or the players in the game.

But yes, at least the Bears are 3-0...there is something positive out of the Chicago sports scene...

10:12 PM, September 24, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Ohh emmanuel, you feed the stereotype so well.

Once you guys stop hating and obsessing over Bama so much you might actually get yourself some history under your belts...and hear us stop talking about ours... We'd actually be proud for the little guys for once. I'm already excited for you.

1:22 PM, September 25, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Well, with all those zombie movies coming out...

I don't eat bears...what are you talking about? I do enjoy maggots on occasion, however.

I didn't catch the birthday reference you wrote earlier. Happy belated birthday! You should've given me notice and I would've served a few free rounds on the house. Just be glad it's not the dreaded 3-0 like I've got next month.

I am glad you were able to celebrate Auburn's hard-fought victory over Buffalo...

1:52 PM, September 25, 2006

 
Blogger 2coopers said...

walrus,
i was at the game you know and it was not very pretty...
are you going to the fat mans wedding?

5:02 PM, September 25, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

2coopers,

I was waiting to hear your review of the game actually (and your thoughts on my critique).

Unless hobbes' wedding is going to be in Nashville or thereabouts, I doubt I'll be able to go.

5:33 PM, September 25, 2006

 
Blogger 2coopers said...

i thought JPW was great and I think we need to rethink the whole Darby thing like you said..fewer touches for him..

I understand Shula's thinking because Tiffin was the stinking special teams player of the week the previous week but I do agree with you that we should play to win and not run 3 times up the middle in OT when Darby only had 60 yeards or something...If JPW throws an INT in OT, then we would be saying that we should have ran. HAving said all that, I think we should have put the ball in the hands of JPW and let the chips fall

Johns looked like the stronger back on Saturday and I hope we will go to him a little more in future games...

Hog fans are pretty obnoxious but not as bad as Tennessee fans...

The Mexican food after the game was not bad...

8:47 AM, September 26, 2006

 
Blogger Thom Dawkins said...

Coming from a family that still cheers on WVU, and a circle that still finds reason to believe in Pitt, I'm not sure I'm even allowed in this conversation.

But here I am, and as long as there's zombies, you know I'm down.

1:17 PM, September 26, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

livefor(what)ever,

Welcome to thesecondchance. Per usual, your first drink is on me. Any preference?

Are you originally from the East Coast?

3:16 PM, September 26, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Yeah but looking at your schedule...I'm surprised "thewalrus" isn't on there. Geez. After Nov. 18 (or maybe even Oct. 21), I'll start listening. Until then...it's just another Big 10 schedule. Those boys need to join the SEC and play some football. Am I talking shit yet? Roll Tide, baby...

Speaking of babies...how's the newborn my friend? Give her/him a big kiss from thewalrus for me. I can't serve drinks to minors.

3:27 AM, September 30, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

"Already out of the race?" I wouldn't jump that gun. We'll talk about that when the time comes. We will just now relish the role of spoiler.

5:35 PM, October 02, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

In other sports thoughts:

I don't have much faith in my Cardinals team in the postseason. Let's hope Pujols can save the day...or month...

But the Bears?? Damn. Those boys look like they're going to own the NFL this year. It's about time.

6:25 PM, October 02, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Ok, I'm really confused. I thought you told me the other day that Erin just had the child, like you were in the hospital waiting. That not being the case, my utter confusion at seeing the picture of the baby with a full head of hair is thus now fully explained. I was thinking, who's born with hair?? lol, anyways, my apologies for my inept memory of the evolution of the kickinme family.

I'm still not fully convinced about Notre Dame but that may come in due time. I think your rivalry with Ohio State will be a good game (as will ours, believe it or not). You have to admit that you guys have a cakewalk to Ohio State. Iowa didn't look so good, but...they were playing OSU so who knows?

Bama will pull a major upset this season - whether it's UT (not too major), LSU, or Auburn, it will happen. Next season, we will easily be in the top 10, if not a national contender.

12:09 AM, October 03, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Ok, I think I'm utterly confused as to who you are now. I checked my email and the person I thought you were had a new child a couple weeks ago (and mysteriously with a full head of hair), not 4 months ago.

Oh wait...I think I know who you are. You live in Michigan, right? Perhaps used to work with me? I didn't know you were a Michigan fan. Sorry, I wouldn't have cursed at you if I'd known it was you :). I thought you were my lawyer buddy who lives in Detroit. That's funny that I was carrying on "guy talk" with a girl. Good job. Anyways, glad to hear from you.

I am rooting for your Tigers by the way...behind the Cardinals of course. And yes...I'd love to hear your response to my other post. It's about time! ;)

11:31 PM, October 04, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
link to affordable web promotion page
Info on affordable web promotion service.