Where all are welcome but few call home...

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Lost: It's Back

Well, folks, the highly anticipated new season of Lost has finally arrived. I was pleasantly satisfied with the season premiere which, of course, is primarily intended to snag you in for the next episode more than advancing the plot. However, we have several more leads (which is all the show ever gives us - leads down a plot line with no answers). Don't read this post further if you haven't seen it. You've been given notice. Here's what we got: The traditional opening of the eye. The nod to the second season's premiere with the music playing in Juliet's house. The bizarre suburban neighborhood, properly topped with book clubs (with a new book mystery - Stephen King's Carrie) and clean-cut lawns, in the middle of an island. Juliet is an Other. We have been introduced to the curious Skinner-esque cages of the prisoners. We know more about Jack's psychology (and I learned more of how and why it eerily parallels with mine). Elizabeth Mitchell (Juliet) is a good actress, and a fine manipulator. Michael Emerson (Ben, aka Henry Gale) is also perfect for his role. We know for sure there's a systematic plot behind what's going on with the prisoners, which we suspected. We know absolutely nothing, save the trailer for episode 2, of what's going on with the rest of the survivors. We learned that Jack and Juliet can amazingly close a steel door against a massive tide of rushing water. We know that Sawyer and Kate have got it goin' on, to the detriment of Jack. We know that Jack needs to get laid...and that when that happens, it might be Juliet, not Kate...but don't count on it.

Well, there's what we have. The questions given? Well, there's too many. I'll let you guys work through those. I thought it was a great premiere with great writing. Let's see how next week goes.

Also, I'd like to know what else you guys are watching. I finally have cable which gives me the 2 things I've missed for 10 years: a clear picture and all the ESPN's. Mmm, sports. So I've taken advantage of the moment and initiated myself into some new shows as well. Here's what I'm currently watching (I'm sticking to the major networks b/c I don't have time to go beyond them). Lost, Boston Legal, The Nine (a decent premiere with an interesting cliffhanger; it's an obvious spinoff of Lost with reminiscences of the movie Inside Man but it looks good), Jericho (it's an overt pop-drama but it's actually pretty good so far), Six Degrees (it's JJ Abrams so I'm still watching), Shark (I like James Woods and I'm convinced I was a cocky lawyer in a former life so...), and Heroes (I had doubts here but it's starting to look really good). With cable, the internet, and an old VCR, I'm somehow able to keep up with all this. Here's a hint: record them before you watch them folks - it'll save you about 18 mins a pop. If you download them online via torrents, you won't even have to fast forward. Don't talk to me about TIVO b/c I'm taking baby steps in the tech world...cut me some slack.

Drink up and speculate, my friends.

15 Comments:

Blogger Silas said...

Yeah, the first episode was pretty good. Except, I am kind of getting annoyed with the show because, I'm so impatient. The show never seems like it's long enough, and it always leaves you wanting more. I know that's probably why its a good show, but it makes it hard for traditional viewer who watch week to week. I get frustrated with the character's circumstances. Like for instance in this last episode I was hoping Jack would kill Juliet and get revenge. I already don't like her. The funny thing is, all the charcters I hate, I end up liking because the show presents some kind of background piece on that person. Like Ana Lucia, I hated her so much and thought she was the biggest bitch, then they started making her seem nice, until I was sad that she died.

Lost is one of those shows I have to watch, but that I sometimes don't like watching. I just hope when this show ends, there is some sort of conclusion or justification or meaning behind everything. Kind of like life, I guess I shouldn't count on it.

9:12 AM, October 05, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off, why does Juliet look so damn familiar...is this her first time appearing because for some reason I can't remember and I've been beating my brain looking for the answer....

Two, Jack's hot. *LOL*

Miss you

-M

10:54 AM, October 05, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Well, I'm in a hurry b/c I've got some homework to hit before class but I wanted to say a couple quick things.

First, was Juliet's toothpick joke a reference to her inept cooking of the muffins?

M, you know Juliet from her appearances in Boston Legal, Season 1. Yeah, Jack's so hot I'm almost attracted to him. I'm picking his wife or Juliet or Kate (E, I agree about Zeke) though because...well, they got it goin on...and they're female.

lb, you're not alone in your frustrations. dante said the same thing to me last night and I'm right there with you.

More later.

1:59 PM, October 05, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, TiVo is $249 with a $200 rebate at Best Buy right now (just had to replace mine). Whenever you're ready. The new one records two channels at once.

How do you know the Stephen King book was "Carrie"? None of the online chatters with screen-captures, etc., seems to be able to figure out which book it was. Someone suggested "The Stand," which would make sense, but it's a lot thicker than the boks they were holding.

What do you guys make of the meals of the captives? Kate gets gourmet breakfast, Jack gets a grilled cheese (almost), and Sawyer gets grain and a fish biscuit. Does this say something about how "good" each of them is?

Word on the street is that Ben (Henry) and Juliet were once married and probably only recently split, thus accounting for their underwater-hatch tension and weird book-group dynamics.

-w

7:06 PM, October 05, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

dante,

What reference to spiritualism? Which Juliet comment are you referring to? Oh, and by the way, I always enjoyed fooling around in the basement...It's probably why I like foreplay so much...that whole high before the hit thing. That may be more info than you bargained for.

w,

I'll have to stay with old-school cable for now. The whole 100 channel thing still intimidates me so TIVO might kill me.

I read on one of the Lost sites that the book was "Carrie." It said it pretty definitively but who knows. I hadn't thought about the food thing.

10:16 PM, October 05, 2006

 
Blogger stevepvc said...

Carrie, eh?
Yep, I checked it, 1:48 in I found a frame that shows the cover pretty well.

I was hypothesizing the stand as well, because that would have clear implications for the kind of community the others are. but Carrie? Does that comment more on the community, or on Juliet? or maybe Walt? I'm going to find a cheap copy of Carrie this week and analyze the crap out of it. Too bad it's not literature!

Another couple of things that were interesting about the book club scene: They all have a copy of Carrie. Internet access is one thing, but are they using it to order from amazon? Particularly since this is a fringe book that the group's leader wouldn't read in the bathroom, I'm curious how they got 8 different copies of it.

It's also interesting in the book club's dynamic that Juliet seems to have an ally in the older lady, who doesn't agree with the book's detractor in the group (Adam), and seems to be on Juliet's side.

the reason voiced for disliking Carrie is that it has no metaphor. hmmm.

1:38 PM, October 08, 2006

 
Blogger stevepvc said...

one more thing.

does the earthquake there represent the failure of desmond to push the button? If that's enough to crash a plane, then shoudn't some metal be flying around Juliet's house? but instead, an earthquake? That seemed a little weird.

1:51 PM, October 08, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stevepvc,
I had forgotten about the complaint about metaphor. Do you think that if "Carrie" has no metaphor, that means that having supernatural powers is something that is everyday for these folks, and therefore not metaphorical?
Also, when the "earthquake" started, I seem to remember everyone knowing what to do ("get into the doorways!"), as though it was something commonplace or expected. What was that all about?
"Carrie" was published in spring 1973 -does that give us some clue about when the Others showed up on the island? It seems like a couple of them had hardback editions of the book. Part of some original island library, like the books (and records) in Desmond's hatch?
You're right - hmmmm.

-w

7:24 PM, October 08, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dante,
Supposedly it is Sun/Jin-centric. Here's a blurb off some tv site:
Sun and Jin's lives are put into danger when Sayid decides to locate Jack. Meanwhile, Henry (Ben) gives Jack an offer that is very tempting. Lastly, Kate and Sawyer work and adjust to harsh conditions that they are being forced under by "The Others."

-w

12:29 PM, October 09, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

I'm also wondering if the whole "metaphor" comment had to do with the writers' knowing that we were going to analyze the hell out of it. In other words, perhaps its merely ironic or a smokescreen of sorts.

Anyone have any theories on the B.F. Skinner-like contraptions? I'm ready for Sayid to pull the stops and go to war with these guys...even if they are benign.

6:55 PM, October 09, 2006

 
Blogger stevepvc said...

theory:

The sharks in the water around Sawyer and Michael after the raft's destruction were once in the tank that jack is being held in.

AS evidence, One of the sharks seemed to have a tatoo that looked like the Dharma station insignias.

Are there some other animal experiments going on?

Walrus, about the skinner-esqe cages, I suppose it's obvious that that's where the polar bear came from. But were there more bears? I can't remember now but it seems like there was only one bear so far.

2:47 PM, October 10, 2006

 
Blogger stevepvc said...

"No, I'm a repo-woman."

Great line.

3:09 PM, October 10, 2006

 
Blogger stevepvc said...

Hey, I read Carrie last night.

I love Stephen King, but it's not his best at all, in my opinion.

The novel's basic premise (at least as it seems to relate to lost): Telekinesis is real, genetic, and when paired with distress can be catosstrophic.

9:40 AM, October 11, 2006

 
Blogger stevepvc said...

could be worse, emmanuel. For instance, you could live in Arkansas and have to listen to their crap.

over
and
over
again.

2:56 PM, October 11, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

emmanuel, I'll have to disagree. I think Cox is a hell of a quarterback. I think you lost on Saturday for several reasons but mainly because your O-Line didn't show up to play and, as much as I'm loathe to say it, you got out-coached. That and you fell in the looking-ahead trap. You're chances this Saturday are good but not great.

It's good you have your priorities straight with Lost. I don't even know who the Thrashers are.

5:39 PM, October 11, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
link to affordable web promotion page
Info on affordable web promotion service.