Where all are welcome but few call home...

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Parrhesia: The Last Call

Well, guys, here we go. The long-awaited explanation as to why the hell I got an ancient greek word permanently inked on the right side of my back. For those who need visuals, well, I haven't mastered the art of transferring greek fonts to my web page so I'll have to rely on hobbes or somebody to guide me on that. In terms of location on my back, it is written vertically (about 10 inches long) down the right side of my back midway between my spinal cord and the edge of my body. The word as transliterated into English is called "parrhesia." For a brief explanation, go here. For my personal appropriation, keep reading.

Parrhesia is a word with a deep history that goes back (at least) to Socrates. According to Alexander Nehamas, Socrates was the first to extend "the concept and the practice of parrhesia to the communication between individuals...through which one individual confronts another with an important but not often welcome truth." According to Socrates, if one is to practice parrhesia he/she must "risk danger, taking nothing into account, neither death nor anything else, aside from what is shameful." Nehamas says that according to Foucault, parrhesia is "the courage of truth...the courage of speaking truly"; Foucault "describes Socrates as a soldier who always remains at his post, defending himself and his fellow citizens." I know I am omitting references here so if you need them, let me know.

When I read about this word, I immediately knew it applied in a fundamental way to me and the way I approach things. For me, it even takes on the extra dimension of vulnerability. One of my gifts/curses is my vulnerability. I am willing to lay things out for people (whether it's what I believe or who I am) pretty damn quick. For some, they connect; for others, it scares the hell out of them. I got this tattoo to remind myself every day that I have an obligation to keep my door open for the sake of the cause. The word has so many dimensions when applied to myself (for those who ever had the opportunity (or burden) to read my master's thesis, there is a hell of a lot of irony (but not contradiction) in me choosing this particular word, so...yeah, enjoy the irony). The word is also playing a huge role in the novel I'm writing. So, for the few who read the Factor posts, start making that connection. Well, let us proceed in the practice of parrhesia...

You see, when you choose to take this route, you are choosing to take a path of no return, a path that is occupied by few, a path that will take you to an unknown but certain destination. When I went to the tattoo shop and marked my back, I knew that in some sense I would always be alone in the cause, simply because it is a fundamentally personal quest. And yet, I went with someone who ended up getting a tattoo, a much smaller, transliterated version of the same word tattooed on their hip. Therefore, I'm alone, but connected. I'm not the lone cowboy riding off into the sunset because I've got others in support and perhaps even riding in the same direction. But I have to be willing to keep going if they decide to go elsewhere. It's a quest. A quest(ion) from which I can never return. The catch is that contained within the quest is an inherent evangelistic call. Practicing the principle challenges others to follow. When confronted with it, it's an either/or choice to make. Either you accept the challenge or you tuck-tail and run.

At times, I feel like I am a cursed being. I have a whole hell of a lot going for me (and really have for a long time) but I can't see it because the things I desire the most are the very things that I just might have to sacrifice in the long run for the things I believe. More than likely I'm in the process of coming full circle with some beliefs, I don't know. I tell a lot of people these things and they're like "that sounds like Jesus" and I'm like, "yeah, I guess it does" not because I don't care but because I don't see that first. I'm disconnected from the Church and so the religious element, or at least the religious connection, doesn't strike me first. The practice of parrhesia is just one of those things that I believe in, that I am called to do. I'm not even sure all the reasons why but denying it is like denying my own existence. It just is what it is. Now, that's the personal element. What I often ask is whether those (like yourself who read this blog) are willing to step up to the challenge and take this quest with me. Here's why.

There's a huge degree to where this is just about me and I'm sure psychologists would have a heyday in analyzing it. But there's also a huge degree to where I think it's simply a matter of people deciding whether they're brave enough to step up to the plate and take the risk of letting go of everything to become what they've never perhaps imagined: their greatest potential. That's what I'm really good at - seeing people's potential (not so much my own) and so I'm going to use that gift for what it's worth. So, heed my warning, folks. I have told my friend E this many times. If you are going to be my friend, then prepare for the ride because I won't let up. I'm not a chess player at the game of chess but at the game of life I will match every move you make probably even before you make it. You will get pissed at me, and likely even resent me, but I will never stop pushing you to be who you want to be. Not who I want you to be. But who you tell me you want to be. And that's just the way it is. Prepare to hate me at any given time guys because I tell you, I won't let up in challenging you. And believe me, I will expect nothing less from you. I may kick the shit out of you only to get my ass kicked in return but then I'll buy you a beer and we'll just get ready for round two. E told me the other day that he fully expects him and I to be 60 years old sitting in our rocking chairs arguing until we drop dead. That's friendship, guys. That's life. That's the challenge you must face as long as you know thewalrus. If you're prepared, then tell me. If not, then stop reading and go back to the good ole American way of 'ignorance is bliss.' I won't blame you. I'll probably even envy you. But I assure you, I won't follow you.

Why? Because (for you King fans) I've got my ka. All I'm looking for is to make this a ka-tet. If you want to know what the hell that means, read the Dark Tower series. It will serve you well. Either way, do your thing and "get busy living or get busy dying." Just fucking get busy doing something...

43 Comments:

Blogger 2coopers said...

right between the eyes here

1:09 AM, July 22, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

2coopers,

Your words alone hit me. I had to smoke a cigarette just in response to you. E and my friend Bob are wondering just what the hell got into me but the infectious disease is apparently affecting them as well. I confronted them tonight with their respective potential (in my eyes), a hard thing to face, something I know all too well, and I struck a spark of motivation that was otherwise (not non-existent but) non-active.

So, yeah, I'm challenging you folks but don't hesitate for the briefest of moments to think that I'm not challenging myself in the process. If you do, you're missing the call, which goes way, and I mean way, beyond thewalrus or thesecondchance. So let this question be what it is: when the ball bounces into your court, what will you do?

Believe me when I say this: if you don't respond to this one way or the other (that is, whether you say, "fuck you and everything you're saying" or "right between the eyes here") I'm liable to become a clown and go ape-shit on everyone's ass. So, yeah, welcome to thesecondchance.

4:03 AM, July 22, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

varotarian,

Welcome to thesecondchance. More newcomers by the day it seems. Not sure why any of you guys check this site on a regular basis but I guess some things just are what they are. Thanks for stopping by. I'm also sorry that I missed the reunion. Timing is everything and it didn't work in my favor this year, for a variety of reasons. It seems that my blog, however, worked its rounds in my stead, for better or for worse. Varotarian, I'll buy you a drink (maybe two, if you hint me towards your identity via drinks or e-mail) but I can't assure you I'll be here for long. If I had any such assurances, I would offer them on a regular basis, but I can't. So, yeah, hope you enjoyed the Applebee's experience. Try the Bourbon Street Steak if you haven't already. And steak is meant to be ordered medium rare (unless you go hardcore and eat it like you've met the cow and invited it to die in the next 3 minutes). If you're vegetarian (and I'll tip my hat, really), try the veggie patch pizza. It's a kick-ass meal as well. Just don't drink there - you'll lose a lot of cash real quick and wish you hit the closest dive for a cheaper tipsy. That or you could stop by thesecondchance and get your mind tripping real quick without the aid of any external drug (it sugarcoats the pill, though, speaking from experience at least). Either way, I extend a welcome from the host.

I hope all of you are doing well and I look forward to hearing from you...

4:04 AM, July 25, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

2coopers,

Got your call at the concert on friday night and didn't call you back, sorry. Had a rough night, including my car getting hit on the way back. We'll have our conversation, soon, I assure you.

4:18 AM, July 25, 2005

 
Blogger 2coopers said...

car wasn't hit by a mailbox was it?

9:45 AM, July 25, 2005

 
Blogger 2coopers said...

varotarian,
i think i know who you are but i really don't have a clue about the other 2 saying they were at the hill reunion. you didn't happen to hit a parked bus in driver's ed in high school did you?

walrus,
i can't believe how fat hobbes is getting...what a lard...

8:40 PM, July 25, 2005

 
Blogger 2coopers said...

GOP? and how would i know who you are varotarian?

8:58 PM, July 25, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

2coopers,

No, no mailboxes this time around. And I have no idea how to respond to your comment on hobbes. Last time I saw him he looked lean and like twice my height so things must've changed in a hurry (I recognize the sarcasm, just commenting anyway). I'm waiting for a bigger response from you on the post.

varotarian,

The sizzling apple pie is a score, for sure. Yes, it's pretty standard for the managers to walk around like that. They don't really have anything better to do. Well, now that I know who you are I'm a little confused on another person's identity. In terms of GOP, no, I'm not anymore. I'm now a democrat, unfortunately, by default. Who would've guessed? On another note, varotarian, how do you feel about the challenge?

hobbes,

Check back tomorrow for my response to you.

3:32 AM, July 26, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

I'm still waiting to hear from you other cats (loki, stevepvc, emmanuel, rino, bull, leighbotts, lawya, dante, staret, squanchum, keithbrenton, et al.). Whatever happened to the thrill? Or tiredofwaiting? Or stickyfeet? goldfishb? longhorn? batman? birddog? papabear? anonymous (all of them)? Is that everybody? I'm not even sure some of the old cats are even around anymore. I haven't seen eskimofriend in a while, either, and he/she is the one who keeps me sane around here. Well, anyways, I'll check back tomorrow as always.

3:50 AM, July 26, 2005

 
Blogger 2coopers said...

emmanuel,
what a long stinking post...I understand what you are saying but it is my experience that speaking the hard, honest, in your face truth makes me bring out my flaws and face them head on, not try to hide or push them to the side...

and what is wrong with farting in elevators?

2:37 PM, July 26, 2005

 
Blogger 2coopers said...

emmanuel,
i havent talked to the walrus about his reasons but i am almost certainly convinced it has a lot to do with the past (correct me if i am wrong walrus) but it seems to that we all would/could come to such a revelation about ourselves if we look hard enough,
myself for example, i have a friend who i really need to confront about quite a few issues but i am basically too much of a chicken...i fear the backlash that this person would have toward me and toward others...i have to find a way to grow a set and say what i need to say and at the same time keep this person from flying off the handle (maybe i can't have both)
i guess thewalrus' post hit me at a time when i am confused about how to handle this situation and generally about how i handle other situations that have or may arise...

what you think walrus?

4:16 PM, July 26, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Well guys, had a much busier day than expected. I am off tomorrow so I assure you I will comment on your responses.

keith,

Welcome to thesecondchance. Whatever you were smoking at 4 a.m. had to be interesting to write about Larry Prosehorse and his dog. I'm kind of lacking on the subject myself but your first drink is on the house just for stopping by.

2:05 AM, July 27, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Ok, I swear I'm not trying to create suspense here but I'm going to have to respond when I get back in tonight. I don't want to give a short, half-ass response to anybody so that's why I haven't just sat down and spat something out. I'm taking a friend to Chicago tonight to a concert (which was a very spontaneous decision); hence the delay. I invite the rest of you to respond to other's responses as well if you want. I'll check back later.

7:10 PM, July 27, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

hobbes,

What you said about vulnerability is certainly true - the part about them being attracted to the real you. And yet, that's also the part that's the scariest because when the real you is rejected you have to come to terms with it.

Your comments on weakness are interesting b/c they reminded me that (in my case at least) my potential is in many ways my greatest weakness.

You said, "it sounds like a lot is going on with the novel, the car, the girl, the job, and the bar of thesecondchance. Keep us posted." Well, the novel is ever so slowly proceeding; the car is fine - just ended up being a scratch really; the girl - well, there is no girl anymore so I'm a free man; the job - same shit, same day; the bar of thesecondchance - the place of solace, the well in the desert, the resting place for the weary. I will keep you posted on things. Right now, I'm just trying to get a lot of things straightened out. I'll leave it at that for now.

2:11 AM, July 28, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

2coopers,

It is definitely true that the whole parrhesia thing is an intensely personal concept. All of the things in my past have brought me to this point and this particular conviction. I feel honored that my post convicted you. I hope it is for the best. I don't know the specifics of your situation so it is hard to know exactly what to recommend there. In terms of parrhesia, I think it should always be practiced with wisdom. Perhaps the best thing to do (despite the cliche) is to follow your heart. If you trust your heart, trust what it leads you to do.

2:27 AM, July 28, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

emmanuel,

Wow, thanks for the thoughtful response (I forgot to specifically thank 2coopers and hobbes too). On a side note, I find the whole paranoia thing really funny and wholly unsurprising. Of all the things that has changed in us over the years, a lot of things have stayed the same. Not that you were ever really paranoid but envisioning you being so isn't hard to do. It's probably not hard for some of you to envision the kind of music (namely modern rock) geek I've become.

Emmanuel, sorry, I'll have to continue my response later. I just received a phone call with some horrible, horrible news.

3:39 AM, July 28, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Well guys, yet another dramatic chapter begins. I just found out that it is about 95% certain that my brother has thyroid cancer. He is going in to get a biopsy tomorrow. He is also having some other health complications. He has two vertebrae in his back that are collapsing which is a sign of potential bone cancer. He also has some calcifications on his abdomen that the doctor is looking into. The thyroid cancer isn't a significant concern by itself as it would "just" involve a thyroidectomy. The issue is whether it has spread to the lymph nodes in his neck which would be much more serious. The bone cancer possibility would of course be the most serious of all.

Since thyroid cancer runs in my family, I have a high likelihood myself of having it as well. I can't get tested at this point because I don't have health insurance. It could therefore be up to a year before I know about myself. It runs in my dad's family. My dad has it and a couple of his siblings have it too. Since my dad has it, I have a 50% chance of inheriting the gene that carries the disease. If I do have the gene, then I have a 90% chance of having thyroid cancer. Thus, my chances are pretty damn good. Again, the thyroid cancer itself isn't a life or death issue but if it spreads to other areas, it could be (and since it usually starts when you are around 5 years old, the sooner I get it checked, the better). I'm going to dive head first now into finding any kind of job with health benefits so I won't have to wait a really long time to get tested and possibly treated.

I will do my best to keep up with things here at thesecondchance. The next few days could be pretty emotional for me as I hear more results from my brother's tests. Please don't let this hinder your normal activity here. Like I said before, this place can be a resting place for the weary and having my friends hang out at my bar is a comforting thing.

Emmanuel, sorry about the interruption. I have much to say in response to your comments so I will get to it asap.

varotarian,
"Academic" is just a term. The way you view the world may be more cerebral and reflective but unless you hinder yourself from a holistic view, it shouldn't be a problem.

8:59 PM, July 28, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

E speaking here:

Hard life isn't it? When a friend is thrust into a situation like this one a determining factor in the end result is the amount and type of support that they get from us.

For us to not offer the same support and friendship that has been given to us would be hypocracy. None of us can carry this man's burden, but we can always jump under the cross with him.

Thoughts and prayers with you my man. Always.

E Bell

2:01 AM, July 29, 2005

 
Blogger 2coopers said...

thewalrus,
that sucks about your bro...i will try to give you a call today sometime...later, 2coopers

10:03 AM, July 30, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Hey guys,

No news yet on my brother. Still waiting on test results. I'll keep you updated as I hear more.

Hope things are going well with all of you. I actually have tomorrow off so I'm hoping to get around to commenting on your responses by tomorrow night. My days off, though, are never actually such so we'll see.

I appreciate and respect all of your support here at thesecondchance. I consider each of you a part of my family so I hope that you all know that every word you say is taken to heart at the fullest extent, even if I don't respond in an appropriate way. My response will come, nonetheless, perhaps in the most unexpected of ways, and I wish even I knew what that meant. I assure you, time will tell...

Anyways, thanks again, and keep the comments coming. A new post will come in the near future. I just wish that the essential post would come to me sooner rather than later. I really hate timing sometimes. Well, I'm just rambling now. Sort of. More later...

3:18 AM, August 02, 2005

 
Blogger stevepvc said...

the biggest dilemna about the second chance: when you're gone for a while, do you try to read everything that has been written and catch up, or do you just catch the next wave?

I felt like Mase's version of "welcome back" was playing in the background when I got to log on today. or maybe it was the cheers theme. or the simpsons.

11:56 AM, August 04, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stevepvc

I completely agree...i can't read through all the comment threads that i've missed since the last time i've been in. then it's like being in a class you haven't been going to or doing the reading for and you can't say anything...

1:15 PM, August 04, 2005

 
Blogger Silas said...

First, I want to say I am really sorry about your brother. I was reading down through the thread, pondering what I might add to it, and then reading the news about your brother kind of stopped all my other thoughts. As we all are, I am hoping for the best in that situation.

Emmanuel commented on an Ayn Rand influence. I just finished reading Atlas Shrugged, and I am currently on this objectivism kick. It makes sense to me that there are objective truths in the world, but I have yet to know what those are. Death maybe. I agree with Emmanuel that what's right for you might not be right for someone else. I guess speaking your truth, though, is important. If we don't speak what we think to be true, regardless if it's true for someone else, then we'll never grasp any sort of reality.

Am I up to the challenge? Not really. Not yet.

5:29 AM, August 05, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Hey guys,

Looks like we've got a truth debate emerging here. I still have a few comments of my own to add to emmanuel's thoughts. I will write those out soon.

I've had one eventful week this week with more news to catch you up on, in several different categories. But it's now 2:30 and I have to be up at 7:30 tomorrow so I'm not going to attempt it now. I will try to comment more before I go to work tomorrow evening.

loki,

If you haven't got the new Black Lab album, you should. It kicks all forms of ass. You can only buy it off their website or download it at alternativeaddiction.com. I'm trying to figure out a way to add it to the jukebox but since it's not on B&N, I'm not sure how to do it yet.

2:40 AM, August 06, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

loki,

You told me back in the day you were a black lab fan. Did you hear them live? Granted, their new cd is a lot more on the pop-rock side of things but I'm actually digging it. Despite your misgivings, I still recommend it. But take my recommendation for what it's worth, because despite my deep appreciation for indie rock (check out July for Kings, Granian, and One Less Reason), I still like to whore around in the mainstream. For those who are in the same category, look forward to the next few months. There are a shitload of new albums coming out. Those esp. worthy of note: Thrice, Cold, Our Lady Peace, Taproot, Institute (Gavin Rossdale's new band), Abandoned Pools, and Default.

1:45 AM, August 08, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Well guys,

Here’s how my past week went.

1)I found out that I have been rejected for the Intelligence Analyst position for the FBI.

2)My friend E had his grandfather pass away on Friday morning.

3)My brother was confirmed to have thyroid cancer and will have to get a thyroidectomy. Test results are still pending for the other stuff. The preliminary results of the bone cancer tests look more in the negative direction, so that’s good.

4)And now, in a few hours, I will be seeing my ex-wife (for the first time in 3 years) and her dad. For those of you aware of the situation, we settled before things went to court and this is the final wrap-up. Hopefully it will be the final chapter in that story. Needless to say, being prepared for something like this is a bit challenging. We’ll see how that goes down. I wish I could give those of you who are un-enlightened to this part of thewalrus drama more details but I’ve reached a confidentiality agreement and can no longer do so. I’m driving to Nashville tomorrow and getting back on Tuesday night. I hope to see dante while I’m there (and possibly 2coopers and stevepvc in Memphis on the way back).

5)I saw my friend squanchum for the first time in 3 years and the last time for the upcoming 3 years.

6)I do have this chick from work who’s quite nice in several categories who seems to dig me...so I’ve got that going for me, which is nice. But I’m not really interested, so...yeah, fuck it.

Now that you’re all thoroughly depressed, somebody buy me a drink and give me a toast for a better week. This shit’s getting a little old.

Down, but never out...

1:46 AM, August 08, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

When I get back from Nashville, I will finally respond to your truth discussion comments and hopefully have a new post up in the very near future. I'm just hoping I don't go completely insane between now and then... I mean, we all knew I was halfway there but I might not even be able to pretend for too much longer...

2:14 AM, August 08, 2005

 
Blogger stevepvc said...

Yeah! I get to see the walrus!

1:19 PM, August 09, 2005

 
Blogger 2coopers said...

yeah, me too...

we're off to see the walrus, the wonderful walrus of...

ok, i'll shut up

3:50 PM, August 09, 2005

 
Blogger stevepvc said...

Emmanuel! The revelation of your identity made me very, very glad. Somebody else mentioned the experience of being under Mr Morris's transportation tutelage, an experience the two of us share as well. About a month ago I was thinking to myself that it would be pleasant to share conversation with from time to time.

I'm tempted to try to bait you further by disparaging Rand, but I really have to do my homework first. I respect her work and mind greatly, even if I would have some serious disagreements with her philosophically. I'll read Atlas Shrugged tonight, the fountainhead tomorrow, and on FRiday I'll either post something about it or kill someone (thereby seriously undermining their potential.)

To all:
a truth debate, you say? Or is it a perspective debate? Or a truths debate, or a trust debate?

Walrus: Send me your references, please, or post them here. I need a bit more context for you understanding of parrhesia. The link you posted gave me places to look, but left me a little confused, because the practice of truth telling (is this a fair way of translating your parrhesia?) necessarily is different among peers or particularly friends than in the context Socrates or Foucault intend...but that's just from the link you left in the post, and I believe reading your other sources woud give me a better grasp. What you don't mention in your post, but must surely have been among foucault's investigations, is the relationship between parrhesia and power. I'll think some tonight, and poke you some more tomorrow.


It's good to be back. My throat was getting dry.

By the way, Coop and I got to hang out with the walrus last night. It was partiuclarly fun watching him scope for women. It was like talking to a tennis fan.

12:32 PM, August 10, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Boy, boy, boy,

What an eventful weekend. Got to see dante, 2coopers, and stevepvc, a delight in itself. More than all of you know. Stayed up til ungodly hours verbally sparring with dante which is an event in itself (a fruitful one though) and then ate dry ribs and played pool over a beer (or two) with 2coopers and stevepvc before I hit the 8 hour road trip back to NW Indiana (I got back at 7 a.m. on Wed. morning).

I know that I must comment further tomorrow or I'll be a champion loser in the blog world so let's see if I step up to the plate myself. Of course, it now borders the weekend which is when everyone seems to disappear but what the hell.

I had a few people over tonight who I hadn't seen in a while which was also a delight since it hasn't happened in a while (in other words, since last week) so yeah, it was cool. Well, hope all is well.

And yeah, I have no idea what it means to be a tennis fan, literally, but, yes, I was scoping out women. And I wasn't even in full walrus mode... I'm not even sure I would even know if I was but let's pretend anyways...

4:36 AM, August 12, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

O.k., I'm finally sitting down and doing this. A few preliminary comments.

loki,

When have I ever drank tequila? I'm an Irish drinker, remember? I'll take the bottle b/c you're offering it but next time around let's share a bottle of Jameson.

stickyfeet,

Welcome back. I'm glad you finally stopped back by. I look forward to hearing more. No, I have no current plans for the other side of my back but I do have plans for another tattoo (not for a while though). I'll wait for my next revelatory idea.

dante,

Let me know if those sisters turn up available (one or both, doesn't really matter - I'll share). That might just be your key to getting me in Nashville.

7:48 PM, August 12, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

bull,

Well, the latest on my brother is that he is now scheduled to get the thyroidectomy in about a month. The good news is that the cancer doesn't seem to have spread to other areas. The bad news is that the surgery is pretty complicated. He'll be in the hospital for 4 days (in the ICU for one of them) and the recovery is pretty extensive as well. But, so far, so good with everything. I also just found out another one of my dad's siblings has thyroid cancer too so the numbers keep rising. This of course means the sooner I get tested the better.

I'm not sure when I'll be back down south again. 2coopers and stevepvc are trying to get me to go to the Bama-Ole Miss game on Oct. 15 (which happens to be my 29th bday) so that may be an option.

Thanks for the invitation. All of you guys are always so hospitable to me and that's a true blessing.

10:01 PM, August 12, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Emmanuel,

Thanks again for taking the time to comment at length on the post.

As for many things I have experienced of late, I cannot provide a comprehensive nor satisfactory explanation for the conviction of parrhesia in my life but I’ll give it my best shot. I’m not sure we really differ in terms of our journeys with parrhesia. My journey naturally started years ago as well. But at certain points along the way, things began to take on a new light. When I was in college (and also in grad school) I became fascinated with the objective/subjective truth debate and became an avid proponent of the “postmodern” critique. I guess this is one place you and I differ now because I don’t address the issue as such anymore.

I would encourage you to read further into parrhesia, at least as appropriated by Socrates and Foucault (and elaborated further by Alexander Nehamas) because it’s not the type of truth/power telling of which you describe. It’s not intended to be a type of preaching from the rooftops or an assertion of someone else’s inferior notion of truth. It works quite the opposite, actually. Here’s another excerpt from Nehamas’ book The Art of Living:

“Socratic truth-telling is different from other modes of establishing the truth: from prophecy, from the wisdom of the sage, and from the teaching of the expert. Unlike the prophet, the diviner, or the ordinary person who receives an oracle, Socrates...does not take divine communications for granted. Unlike the sage, who intervenes only when necessary, Socrates, so to speak, never leaves his post. Most important, unlike the expert, Socrates does not transmit what he knows, or thinks, or pretends to know to others. He has no knowledge to communicate. As Foucault puts it, he shows courageously to others that they do not know and that they must attend to themselves: ‘If I attend to you,’ Foucault writes..., ‘it is not in order to transmit to you the knowledge you lack, but so that, having realized you know nothing, you will learn thereby to care for yourselves.’”

Another excerpt:

Foucault claims the importance of parrhesia to be that of attending to one’s fellow citizens “like a father or an older brother in order to show them that what is important is not money or reputation but the care of themselves...not a concern for the world but for wisdom, truth, and for their own soul... Socrates’ purpose is to make people care for themselves. And Foucault defines such care as the use of one’s reason in order to find out who one is and how one can be best.”

The practice of parrhesia, in my appropriation, is more about an attempt to motivate people to find truth by means of “the care of the self” and all that entails. This also ties in to my connection with potential and vulnerability. I don’t know you but I would never say that your potential would be defined in capitalistic terms by how much you have to offer to a capitalistic society. It’s what you have to offer to yourself and thus the rest of the world around you.

I’m not real sure what to do with the murderer example because I’m not grasping what you’re saying with it. If you’re saying that since I don’t know what it means to be a murderer I can’t tell them their potential lies higher than resorting to maiming someone, then I really don’t know what anybody can say to them. Of course my truth is limited to my perspective but it always is in every case and therefore I would be forever silenced by my own subjectivity. That gets no one anywhere. For example, very few people would understand what happened when I lost my marriage because it is a pretty unique scenario. But if my friends let me go through the rest of my life just sulking and saying “well, fuck women and fuck love” then they’re not true friends and they’re not practicing the love that true friendship entails. They may not understand why I feel that way but that doesn’t mean they don’t have something to speak to it (even if that simply means demonstrating otherwise in their own lives).

I understand your concerns (and want to validate their source). In fact, they used to govern most of my academic thought but I also feel that those terms and that way of framing the debate are antiquated and not very productive. I’m not really sure we are actually disagreeing here. Some of the others here at thesecondchance have known me in recent years and so they have a bit of an advantage of knowing where I am coming from and the assumptions that underlie my comments. So yeah, again, I respect your concerns and want you to know that I hear them. It’s just that right now I don’t think they fully apply to my appropriation.

Well, here are some initial thoughts to work with. Let me know if I need to explain anything further.

10:41 PM, August 12, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

stevepvc,

The source that I mentioned above is the source from which I drew the quotes in the post. It's a book by Alexander Nehamas - "The Art of Living: Socratic Reflections from Plato to Foucault". Also, check out Foucault's lectures on the subject which are all online. Go to http://foucault.info/documents/parrhesia/

10:46 PM, August 12, 2005

 
Blogger stevepvc said...

hellllloooooooo ooouuuutttt theeerrrrreeeee! (Hovater stands at the edge of the chasm, and waits for the echo to return.)

9:10 AM, August 16, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Initially I was not going to post any response, but after sifting through the comments and finding that thewalrus had "called me out" so to speak, I decided to let it fly.

If I may simplify the post into one word, would it be incorrect to call it blunt?

The whole concept of bluntness was new to me not a long time ago. In my world, being blunt is equated with being rude (in some cases that is a fair comparison), and a lot of the time is not very appreciated. I felt the same way, until I happened upon a friend who was needless to say, hopelessly blunt.

To make the story short, I eventually began to appreciate the bluntness in this person, and began to act similiarly. I now realize that I would not have it any other way.

11:39 PM, August 16, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Spammer killed.

1:20 PM, August 18, 2005

 
Blogger stevepvc said...

okay, so it's taking me a little longer than I thought to finish atlas shrugged. big deal.

1:50 PM, August 18, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

I didn't say anything...(I'm shrugging). I would say no pun intended but that would be way too cheesy. Oh yeah, no pun intended...

3:27 PM, August 18, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Hang tight folks,

I'll get a new one up real soon. It's even a mystery to thewalrus what thewalrus has in store for the next post; if history has its say, it's usually a mystery right up to the minute before I post it...and then sometimes beyond that. I'm in a long damn stretch at work right now - 7 closings in a row but I've still got to drink and thesecondchance has the best selection in town, period. So, yeah, hang tight, and keep the ever-so-random comments coming. Even the spammers provide entertainment sometimes - we'll call it target practice just for fun.

Enjoy your weekend guys and chill out a bit. You never know what the new week might bring.

5:15 AM, August 20, 2005

 
Blogger 2coopers said...

Ok walrus, time for a new post i do believe...
i have a few suggestions for you, in no particular order. Take your pick or make up your own...

SG for beginners...

Ann Coulter speaking at Harding this fall (there I said it, this is the only blog that i faithfully read that isn't discussing that)...

Idiot's guide to avoiding police in Northern Mississippi...

any other suggestions?

11:03 PM, August 22, 2005

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

2coopers,

Yes, you're right, it's way past time and I am working on it. I hope to have it up real soon.

I don't think I'm going to post about the Ann Coulter thing simply because I can't imagine anyone who drinks at thesecondchance would affirm anything about her. It is certainly a sign of Harding's future leaning. It saddens me that they are now going completely right-wing. But, hey, they're the ones shooting themselves in the foot. I'm just waiting for them to put up a confederate flag on top of the Benson Building. Might as well be consistent...

1:27 AM, August 23, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
link to affordable web promotion page
Info on affordable web promotion service.