Where all are welcome but few call home...

Thursday, March 23, 2006

My Answer of Hate

So, I’ve been thinking...anyone up for a little hate?

I mean seriously, this Christian love stuff is kind of pissing me off. I’ve never been one to be up for the whole macho no-emotions thing but give me a fucking break. This stuff makes me sick. I’m just going to pull out the stops here so bear with me. To be honest, I’m just saying the stuff everyone thinks all the time but never has the stones to say. Let’s think about this:

Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God

If anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn the other also.

Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.

Love one another as I have loved you
.

Is it just me or is all of this really starting to sound like a load of crap? Is that really going to accomplish anything? Take these recent examples of Christians practicing love:

1)For several years now, the Christian Church at large in America has shown love for its government and its policies. Policies such as starting a war on an admitted false premise and continuing to work from it, handing over suspected terrorists to regimes who specialize in torture, locking up suspected terrorists without the right to a trial or the right to confront their accusers, conducting extensive domestic surveillance on American citizens in the name of fighting “terror,” and declaring free speech zones where it can be declared illegal to conduct a political protest. In sum, policies that essentially erode the Bill of Rights.

2)And now we have these hacks from Westboro Baptist Church being all lovey-lovey with homosexuals. Read here to learn about it. I mean Reverend Fred Phelps himself is perpetuating this damn love message with his http://www.godhatesfags.com/ website. He even set up a Perpetual Gospel Memorial to Mathew Shepard to ice the cake.

Well, these two examples have been on my mind over the past week and I can’t help but thinking the message of love really doesn’t make sense anymore. In fact, after watching the movie V for Vendetta, putting on a mask and blowing up buildings sounds a hell of a lot more interesting.

You know what? As a matter of fact, I change my mind. Who am I to blame Christians for their benevolent message? In fact, I won’t even scapegoat them anymore. I’ve done my share of that in the past. So where the hell is everyone else with a brain and a heart (either qualifies)? To be honest, I’m just calling out for someone out there to give a damn.

Last week’s Boston Legal episode brilliantly illustrated the problem I’m putting before you. We’re not even noticing what’s going on around us. That’s a problem. Our government’s hijacking the Bill of Rights before our eyes and we don’t care. That just made me think about all the things we end up not caring about. Maybe love is the wrong message. I’m ready for a little hate. Just get pissed off folks. Just for a little while and let’s see where it gets us. Because this whole love thing…well, it’s not going very far.

My question to you is: While we’re dealing with the question of fate on an otherwise unimportant blog, have you decided to let be what is? Is love the answer? Are you feeling any hate towards what’s happening around you? Are you feeling anything at all? If not, God help us. God help me especially, because I’m going a little crazy with all this love stuff. I’m ready to start a revolution. Any takers?

8 Comments:

Blogger thewalrus said...

dante and hobbes, thank you. I'm going to withhold my comments for a bit and let more respond.

Thanks for the movie tip.

12:37 AM, March 24, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

emmanuel and squanchum,

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm hoping a few more will respond before I comment further.

For your weekend laugh, go to my myspace site (www.myspace.com/thesecondchance) and check out the Honda commercial. Those who identify with my silly ass humor should enjoy it. The voice of the crab is great.

2:39 AM, March 26, 2006

 
Blogger stevepvc said...

Saw V for Vendetta last night, and of course watched it with a mental eye on the second chance. I think what I found most useful about the movie was the demonstration that it can be really hard to get people to recognize that there's something wrong with the world, even when everybody knows it, and hates it when they're honest.

Your post is very difficult to respond to, my friend. Mostly because it speaks something true, but is also dead wrong. As a critique of the world, and particularly christendom, it stries a true tone, but as a true critique of love, it doesn't make any sense at all. I'm sure you'll make it clear, but as of yet, I agreee with Dante that all you really critiqued is hatred...and that seems ironic.

I don't want to get hung up on that, because I know that's not really what you're selling, BUT if part of your post is supposed to call people to responsibility for their rhetoric (and the examples you cite should be called to task for their rhetoric) then I must tur the tables and state the very obvious, that your post is about the most cryptic, unfair way to state your case possible.

But I do think a case is there, so out with it.

1:40 PM, March 26, 2006

 
Blogger stevepvc said...

More later, but I have to go play old man adult league soccer. Fun, eh? Probably not as much fun as some room soccer matches you and I had back in the day...I'll be lauching about that memory all day.

1:43 PM, March 26, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

"Pink cloud has now turned to gray..." All that I want is to pray. Get on your knees, time to play...I don't mind.

Well, this is the last call for comments before I post again...which will be sometime...well, today.

1:52 AM, March 28, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe little pinch?

5:03 PM, March 28, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Why no pinch?

6:39 PM, March 28, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

By the way, those of you waiting in anxious suspense for my next post should check out the ever-so-interesting debate between me and shamuboo on the V for Vendetta Message Board on Yahoo. Just follow the V for Vendetta link in the "My Answer of Hate" post.

I'm thewalrus2627 of course. It's in the "Gay Themes Throughout the Movie" post at like the end of the second page.

6:42 PM, March 28, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
link to affordable web promotion page
Info on affordable web promotion service.