Where all are welcome but few call home...

Monday, May 15, 2006

Plugs

Hey guys, well it's been nearly a month now since I last posted. Where the hell did those weeks go? I feel like I'm in automaton mode at work. Work royally sucks on a regular basis (as I expected it too) so I'm definitely ready for a change in scenery. I'm hoping everything works out with the Nashville thing b/c I need something different. I don't really go out much anymore but my whole day/night schedule is still really jacked up. I envy the normal life sometimes I suppose. Of course, I'd hate it if I had it but anyways...

I had the opportunity to go see Thursday last Thursday (hehe...) night at the House of Blues in Chicago. I went with leighbotts (a former student and current friend). It was good times as I had been waiting for sometime to see them live. It had been a couple years and I was having Thursday withdrawals. Well, their new album "City by the Light Divided" is out now (and in our jukebox) so I highly suggest picking it up. It's not "Full Collapse" but it's still Thursday. Musically, it's undoubtedly their highest achievement to date. It's not easily accessible and it takes a few listens to catch on but when you do, it's a good treat.

Last but not least, I'm hoping to make a new post on Tuesday (my next day off). I've had some thoughts on the current state of the Church (I know, imagine that) and am considering putting a few thoughts together. I could just give a random rant on politics and the Commander in Chief but I'll refer you to the latest public opinion polls instead. 29%?? "I'm not even mad. That's amazing!" Well, anyways, I hope to have another post up soon for all you drunken bastards to comment on. But, as usual, I'll try to throw you the best curveball I've got. Cheers.

9 Comments:

Blogger thewalrus said...

The show was fantastic. I wasn't in the pit this time though so the energy level wasn't as high but they did put on a kick-ass show. They started the set with Understanding in a Car Crash (a lil surprise) and played for about an hour and a half. 15 songs total. Here's what they played in no particular order:

At This Velocity
Counting 54321
Cross Out the Eyes
Division St.
For the Workforce Drowning
How Long is the Night?
Paris in Flames
Signals Over the Air
The Lovesong Writer
The Other Side of the Crash
Falling Bomb

They closed with a 3-song encore: Jet Black, Sugar in the Sacrament, and Autobiography. I was dying to hear Sugar in the Sacrament live so that was cool. Paris in Flames was, as usual, still one of the most powerful songs I've ever witnessed to be played live. So yeah, it was a pretty equal mix from their albums except for Waiting, from which they played no songs at all. I was a little surprised they didn't play War All the Time and disappointed they didn't play Hole in the World but I guess I can't have everything my way.

They came on after We're All Broken (decent), mewithoutyou (ok), and Minus the Bear (disappointing) who all played extraordinarily long sets for opening bands.

Yeah, it took a while for the new album to grow on me but the more I listen to it, the more I like it. I completely agree with your description of the overproduction. I didn't like the way Rickly's vocals just disappear into noise at times. I'm half-thinking about writing a review of the album for a music news site I read often. See, I have to disagree though on War All the Time. I liked that album (not as much as Full Collapse of course) and I like this one equally well. I'll probably end up liking this one more though.

I haven't bought the Tool album but I like the new single. I've heard some really mixed reviews on it.

1:51 PM, May 15, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So have you officially heard anything from Vanderbilt? When do all the classes begin for the semester?

By the way, I was at your place of business last week, and strangely enough, you weren't there (at least I didn't see you). I'll have to try harder next time.


I took a look at the latest poll numbers of "Dubya"....It's astounding how anything he does now would be effective...Since I'm intensely studying government and politics, I'm curious to see where this is headed.

I'm out for now, but I'll write more at a later time. Take it easy. Thanks for the update.
-Matt

5:33 PM, May 15, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Matt,

I have been officially accepted to Vanderbilt. Classes will begin in the fall - I'm guessing in August.

I don't know if you know but I'm no longer at Applebee's. I'm at Don Pablo's in Merrillville now. Stop in some time. I might be stressed and mad at the world but hey, what are ya gonna do? Later.

1:03 AM, May 16, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Well, first I should chastise myself for not using barnames. That should be matt g. above.

Second, I picked up a day shift tomorrow but I'm off Wed and Thurs so my guess is that I'll get something up on Wed.

1:05 AM, May 16, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah i knew you were at Don Pablo's actually...and I still stand by my previous statement :)

Congrats on getting into Vanderbilt. Hopefully things will go well for you there...

While you're at it, what drink do you recommend for someone who still has another month of classes to get through?

-Matt G.

3:21 PM, May 16, 2006

 
Blogger 2coopers said...

got any jack and coke walrus?

so when will the move happen?

1:49 PM, May 17, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

matt g.,

Well, I suppose it depends on the mood and setting. If I'm out and about, I like to do Captain and cokes b/c they don't make me tired (others do Jack and cokes, like 2coopers apparently, but I don't like Jack). If you're just wanting to chill and relax, beer and esp. wine are good.

2coopers, don't know the exact date yet on the move. Hopefully I'll know that more soon.

emmanuel, I'm eagerly awaiting your concert review...

Well, I get a couple days off so I'm gonna try and get a post up asap. I have to watch my recorded Boston Legal season finale and the two new episodes of the best shows on t.v. that come on tonight...aww yeah.

2:13 PM, May 17, 2006

 
Blogger Silas said...

I think we already discussed this, but I agree that the opening bands were disappointing. Since I'm a MeWithoutYou fan, and knew most of the songs, I liked hearing them. Anyway you're right, the openers played pretty long.

I was in Nashville yesterday and today. Yesterday we explored Opryland. Today we just walked around the shops on Broadway and walked to the Country Music Hall of Fame, but we didn't go in. It was a first for me, and I found the city to be pretty cool. It's not as big as Chicago, which is nice. I'm sure you'll like going to school there.

4:42 AM, May 18, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Ok, well, I was sitting down to write tonight when a friend called and informed they just got out of jail from an overnight stay. Needless to say, that conversation preoccupied me and so I didn't get back to writing. I have some thoughts and will try my absolute best to compose them over the weekend and get up a post by Monday. Strangely enough, people don't seem to come to this bar much on the weekends so it's just as well.

4:10 AM, May 19, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
link to affordable web promotion page
Info on affordable web promotion service.