A Regular Day
Just don't blame me for reading this.
I am simply a man. I am a man who lives in a low-scale apartment that is characterized by its large volume of books, a mysterious lawn-size garbage can that resides in my living room, and a 35-pound cat that hates all other living beings besides me. I go to work most days of the week, hating my job but making enough money to survive. I come home and I consciously find a way to forget an existence that provides little meaning. An existence that always leads me to analyze what happens around me, an attempt at providing meaning to otherwise meaningless events.
After looking in the mirror, I look around me and see others battling their own demons and fighting their own battles. A husband and wife losing a child and having no answer and no replacement for the lonely void created in anticipation. A girl trying to grapple with the psychological damage inflicted by being raped by a person who worked with her on a daily basis. A man who grew up with no parents in a low-income neighborhood who struggles with bipolar disorder and tops it off with an “aberrant” sexual orientation from which everyone defines his identity. A girl forced to leave her home because she changed her religious beliefs and finds herself one night fleeing from her gun-wielding father. A girl whose most vivid memory is being kidnapped and raped repeatedly by absolute strangers over a period of several days. A woman who goes to bed every night with fears of a man she calls “Dad” walking into the room and touching a body she desperately wants to call her own. A girl who “wakes up” one night to find herself sitting barefoot in a jail cell, listening to another female make sexual advances on her, and feeling helpless from her own body leaking its natural monthly discharge because the officials on duty are unwilling to provide protection. A woman who struggles with the idea of leaving a man she has loved and supported for over 40 years because the temptation of “enough is enough” seems more like the right thing to do. A woman who looks in the mirror everyday and fights her own image of herself because the battle has consumed her for so long that existence without it is far too threatening for comfort. A woman facing the potential loss of an adopted child she’s raised for over a year due to a bureaucratic process that ignores the person and abhors the idea of a second chance. A woman who struggles from the daily guilt of having abandoned her best friend of seven years (her husband of two) because it took precisely that long to simply figure out that she was her own person. A man whose wedding anniversary is marked every year by the bitter memory of his own father who passed away the same morning of his wedding. A woman who regularly battles with the memory of the child she aborted several years ago.
Once I stop looking around me, I open the newspaper and see that over the past few years thousands of young men and women have sacrificed their lives in a foreign country for a cause that, regardless of its false premise and unknown destination, still provides conviction and direction to a life too often devoid of it. I turn the page and read about Angelina Jolie’s most recent love adventures and Britney Spears’ most recent child-raising blunders because the editors of the paper know that making money to raise their family requires them to feed the general public with addictive bullshit that helps them to escape from their own daily reality of meaningless events. So I close the paper and pour a drink and turn on the TV to watch one of my three regular shows that helps me to escape from my own reality…yet again.
I see the cycle but I can’t escape it. Everyone around me sees it too because they have their own cycle and means of escape: marijuana, work, alcohol, tanning, chocolate, caffeine, food, exercise, cocaine, writing, driving, playing and/or listening to music, ecstasy, video games, religion, smoking, reading, watching TV, obsessing over their significant other, sex, and the list goes on and on. The fact of the matter is…everyone has their drug.
I finish my show on the TV and go to bed, ready to wake up to another regular day. I lie in my bed thinking of days gone by and days to come and how so many around me do the same every single day of their lives. We’re all alone in a crowd because we don’t know how to reach the other person. In the words of a character from the motion picture Crash: “It's the sense of touch…I think we miss that sense of touch so much that we crash into each other just so we can feel something.” We’re so damn confused on how to communicate and relate that we just end up doing something to feel it.
I wake up to greet a new morning, sobering from whatever drug I chose the night before, remembering and recognizing that there’s a part of me that I am incapable of exorcising. It’s a part of me that I deeply fear. The part of me that leads me to sit down and write this post. The part of me that knows that none of you can provide an answer to a question that each of you live with every day.
I’ll end this the way it should be: casual and oh so serious. Each one of you, as do I, feels that the answer you have is makeshift and temporary because the real “answer” is out of reach. It’s always just an idea. You can look to a person called Jesus, an institution called church, a nation called America, or a job called _____________. But it’s not fully there, is it? And now you can’t even write it off as another angry walrus rant because he’s hit too close to home, on your own doorstep or at the least, the one next door. We’re all in the same fucking boat and the person (or thing) each one of us calls “Captain” (see the ideas above) isn’t a person we know. I mean, not really. In the end, you’re still offering ideas. Ideas are great, no doubt, and should perhaps even be considered the breath of life, but they’re not meant to be Captains. It’s somewhere in this analogy that I’m asking you to engage me.
In the end, I’m asking you something simple. Sit at this bar and have a drink with me. Believe in me and I’ll believe in you and we’ll get this whole connecting thing going. We’ll eat some type of deep-fried finger food (your choice) and try to figure out what went wrong, what’s going wrong, and what could go wrong…and then we’ll replace all those wrongs in that sentence with rights. After that, we’ll stand up and embrace and we’ll know that we’re waking up to these days and these lives together... If we're lucky, maybe we'll have one more before last call...because last call always comes too soon for those who anticipate it...

19 Comments:
Hey sheckler - gotta go by the alias around here :) - Your alias is actually the same as it used to be. Thanks so much for your kind words. They mean more than you know. I never forget the things you say to me because I value who says them so highly. What you wrote made my "regular day" worth its while.
3:18 PM, May 22, 2006
kickinme, welcome back to thesecondchance. It took me a good 2 minutes to figure out who you were. I miss you being around, physically and here at the bar. If you get a chance, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the post even if it's in disagreement. I do welcome that as you know :). I look forward to seeing you in July.
10:15 PM, May 22, 2006
bull,
Welcome back. I'm glad you stopped by again. It looks like I'll be moving to Nashville at the end of the summer, perhaps August. I'll just be working and saving money here in the meantime.
emmanuel,
Thanks for the song request. It's added to the jukebox.
2:34 PM, May 23, 2006
All I can say is "wow"...Your perspectives are very intriguing and it definitely makes me think....Just like they did back in class.
Sometimes reality is what we don't want to see, yet sometimes we turn the other way, as if it had never existed. That's what I took from all of this, but maybe I'm off-base.
Hope things are going well in your trek to Nashville. Tennessee (parts of it, at least) is very beautiful.
-Matt G.
10:46 PM, May 23, 2006
And then there are moments where I feel that I'm heard...from a brother who lives too far away from my home...as it's meant to be I suppose.
Thanks for the drink my friend. The best I've had all week...and I've had my share this week.
When I hear from you, I discover I'm not alone in a way that really feels like it... By all means, cheers. And you'll hear more from me soon. Just please, please, afford me the same favor...
5:03 AM, May 29, 2006
Whenever I used to get frustrated or complain about how long it took to get somewhere in the car, a task that I had to do, etc...my dad would say.."well, you've got to be somewhere"
I think that when I embrace that idea (however simple it may be), my level of contentment (if that is such a thing) increases and I am more at peace with life, the driver in front of me, stuff I don't want to do, things that I don't understand, etc...
so there you go, I'll take a jack and coke...maybe crown and coke...surprise me walrus
12:45 PM, May 31, 2006
yo,
Just a note to say I haven't been writing much, but
I've been hangin out down at the end of the bar, drinking deeply even if I'm not saying a lot.
but, now that I'm started, might as well let the ball roll a minute.
Walrus...have the things you've written about really convinced you that life is meaningless? Rhetorically, that's what the post seems to communicate to me. (help me if i'm misreading it) It's as if you're keeping some kind of scoreboard, (give despair a touchdown for abuse here, but over there goodness gets at least a field goal for that mother's lifelong nurturing of her child), and becoming convinced that the baddies are winning due to the scoring you've witnessed.
I think it may be that the same drugs we use to blunt the despair also blunt our ability to perceive beauty. My initial thought here is that blindness to goodness seems every bit as bad as blindness to evil. Or is there such an economy with what we are able to see that we should make a case that it is more worthwhile a pursuit to recognize the evil around and in us than the good and true? So my question for you, my beautiful tusked friend, is could you write the same post on the other side of the coin, full of the goodness you've witnessed in the world? Or dare you say that such just doesn't exist, or isn't worth noticing?
OR
Is your only intent in the post really a shot at all the things which serve as drugs, and to encourage connection as a substitute for those things, as a means of replacing wrong with right?
I've read it several times, and I really don't understand what you meant by:
"...We’re all in the same fucking boat and the person (or thing) each one of us calls “Captain” (see the ideas above) isn’t a person we know. I mean, not really. In the end, you’re still offering ideas. Ideas are great, no doubt, and should perhaps even be considered the breath of life, but they’re not meant to be Captains. It’s somewhere in this analogy that I’m asking you to engage me."
Do you know where in this analogy you wish to be engaged? Where exactly in the analogy are the possibilities for engagement? Perhaps regarding the possibility of a legitimate captain, or what "captain" means in the analogy, in the nature of the boat, in the defense of a particular Captain, or perhaps squabbling about whether Jesus, Church, America, and jobs fall under the category "ideas". I would really love to engage in the analogy, but this time I just don't get it. If it's open, that's cool, but if you really wanted to be engaged in some particular way, then your own ambiguity may be the Judas kissing your face (join me in this analogy). We are in the same boat, and I'm glad to be riding with you, but we may not see the situation in the boat in the same way.
By the way, I want to help you move to nashville, but have to know ASAP when you plan to do that. I have developed superhuman strength, but have a calandar.
squanchum:
"there are no communities of loyalty"
Whoa, trigger, that's a pretty darn absolute statement. And an untrue one, in my perception. Am I alone in thinking such things do exist? Is my belief that I've experienced such things just a delusion? that's a pretty ballsy suggestion for anybody with one just one human's experience to go on. Much of what you say later on resonates with me, but here I'm not noddin my head. Let's not restrict the possibility of good human connection to the confinces of the bar, no matter how lovely it is. And I do think it is lovely.
Pour me a tall one, fatty...I'm gonna stick around till you cut me off and call the taxi. (Might not even leave then.)
11:13 PM, June 05, 2006
stevepvc,
I got half-way through writing my response tonight and became too tired to finish. I'll have it up tomorrow cuz it's my day off. It's number one on my agenda. My response could end up being a new post if it works out right. So, stop by tomorrow and you'll have your drink from me.
Congratulations. You've got me working again on my real job.
3:36 AM, June 06, 2006
by the way, I meant to bust you on one particular piece of falsehood in your original post.
35 pounds? Yeah right, and I weigh about 120. Your cat's leg weighs 35 pounds, on the moon. you could build a small village on your cat's back, and still have room for parking.
10:34 AM, June 06, 2006
stevepvc,
careful with your words my friend...that fat cat may be leaning over walrus' shoulder right now, reading your comments about his weight situation...
walrus,
is your fat cat sensitive to his weight situation or as oblivious as stevepvc's lardo brother?
10:52 AM, June 06, 2006
stevepvc,
Sorry, dude. My agenda got screwed up today and I was unable to finish my response. My friends are now taking me to see the Omen so I might not get to finish it tonight. I go to work at 4 tomorrow so I should be able to get it posted before then. Keep pouring the drinks for me though. I won't be gone long.
Oh yeah, stop hitting on my cat guys. She likes the aggressive flirting thing...
9:31 PM, June 06, 2006
second chance patrons
the walrus emailed me today to tell me that he has written a reply and will post it later, but couldn't before leaing for work because blogger was down earlier. He asked me to pass along this info so you would all know that he isn't a liar.
Now, back to the issue about his cat. Walrus, don't play with the "She likes the aggressive flirting thing..." claim. We're all familiar with the list of things that furry land-whale you call a cat likes: steak, whole chickens, fried twinkies, ribs, etc. If you're cat is eyeing me, she doesnt want to get anything on except dinner. If I see her tying on a bib and stacking up the wet-naps, I'm out of here quicker than a Chuck Norris roundhouse kick.
later...looking forward to the post, mi amigo y hermano
11:10 PM, June 07, 2006
Stevepvc,
Sorry for the delayed response. I’ve been watching you at the end of the bar, getting up occasionally to drop quarters in the jukebox, so your presence hasn’t gone unnoticed. Anyways, here’s my drink and conversation.
I find it strange that you get a “life is meaningless” vibe from the post. I certainly wouldn’t be asking you to “believe in me” if that were so; nor would I be offering a meeting of minds to assess the wrongs and rights of our life situation. All of that would be irrelevant if life were meaningless. Now, that being said, this must be said as well. I would not say that such meaning is easily accessed or in plain view. Such meaning must be sought after and often “manufactured” in certain ways that give us something to work with until we get a better understanding than what we have now. It’s probably clear by now several ways I do that for myself. Thesecondchance is certainly a small part of that project. The Factor posts from last year also provide insight into that in regards to me.
My job as a bartender at thesecondchance is to make you keep drinking. When things get quiet, I slap the bar and pick a fight. When you say your done drinking, I say “to the contrary” and set a free shot in front of you and signal the ladies (who also get a shot) to sit beside you and encourage you to keep drinking. When you stand up to walk out, I call an insult out to you, one that rings “too close to home” because I know that if you respect yourself, you can’t walk out that door. So you sit down and shoot it and look at me through eyes of resentment and confusion, but the bloodshot and the glassy look tell me that you recognize the commitment you made when you walked in the door. They tell me that you know that without taking that shot you can’t call this place home. That you can’t welcome others if you can’t stay yourself.
I don’t always do my job well. I’m sure the case could be made that my metaphorical bartending skills belong at a place like this and nowhere else. I could probably make that case myself.
You’re absolutely right in saying that our drugs blunt not only despair but our ability to perceive beauty. They can also do the opposite. They can obsess you with beauty as well (see the movie “American Beauty” for reference here). My point with drugs is that life is literally too overwhelming, whether from beauty or despair (especially when these blend), and so we all pick and choose the drug of our choice. We all have them. Recognizing them and working with them is another matter. My “regular days” just tend to highlight the dark side, the underbelly, of life experience. This is my own choice, my own doing…I know this. But this is why I’m often drawn to writing about it and highlighting its significance. I could certainly write a post about the goodness I’ve witnessed in the world. I just haven’t felt compelled to do so yet. Perhaps I should consider it. But knowing myself well, I also find such goodness and light through the cracks of such darkness and perhaps more often in its hue.
I don’t know that there will ever be a substitute for the drugs I mentioned. I suggested connection as a way to share the understanding of our situation. It would heighten our awareness and enhance our abilities to seek better answers to our questions.
Now, concerning the boat analogy. I find it strange that you said “Where exactly in the analogy are the possibilities for engagement? Perhaps regarding the possibility of a legitimate captain, or what "captain" means in the analogy, in the nature of the boat, in the defense of a particular Captain, or perhaps squabbling about whether Jesus, Church, America, and jobs fall under the category "ideas.” I’m not sure how you want me to answer your question when you did fine doing it yourself. By “Captains” that are meant to be, I was referring to people, you, me, any of us. I realize I’m making a significant statement in that analogy which is why I was requesting engagement rather than me just expounding on the matter. Perhaps you’re right that I left too much ambiguity to be engaged properly. I guess sometimes I just don’t want people to be afraid to engage such ambiguity. In some ways, it’s an analogy that performs in a small way my own meaning. We stand so afraid to engage the ambiguity and confusion surrounding us that we resort to our drugs rather than opening our mouths and speaking about it frankly. As a side note, your Judas analogy confused me – am I betraying myself? Or were you saying it’s “coming back to bite me” so to speak? Are you pointing out the frustrations of my analogy by presenting one yourself?
Anyways, I hope this helps with my post some. I decided to not make it a new one as it really belongs here. I’m working on another one in my head anyways. I’ll let squanchum respond to your question to him. That is, if he stops in again soon. His African buddies get annoyed by my jukebox so he has to sneak in when he gets a chance.
P.S. – The Omen sucked so don’t waste your time. The kid was creepy as hell though.
Also, go buy the new Live album. It came out yesterday and I’m digging it. I added it to the jukebox.
1:09 AM, June 08, 2006
stevepvc, I don't get a response??
To everyone: I've got a new post almost finished so it should be up soon.
12:14 AM, June 13, 2006
Well, I'm going with my lady to see Toad today (Sunday) in Chicago at a street festival. I intend to post you a review as this is a show that I have been waiting years, literally, to see. Yes, yes indeed.
3:10 AM, June 18, 2006
Toad as in??? no way
lady?
2:39 PM, June 18, 2006
Toad as in Toad the Wet Sprocket. They're on a reunion tour.
Lady as in...hmmm...
4:45 PM, June 18, 2006
walrus
i see the tour dates...st Louis July 21st? i'm game if you are...
i also need your move dates slacker...
and I got your message but can't figure out what song it was..i'll listen some more...
hmmm doesn't cut it on the lady front
11:17 AM, June 19, 2006
ok i got the song now after 3 listens...awesome
11:56 AM, June 19, 2006
Post a Comment
<< Home