Vanderbilt Update
Well guys, I've been quite neglectful in my bartending duties over the past month or so. I thought I'd at least give you an update as to what the walrus' future plans involve.
Last week I went down to Nashville for a few days to go apartment hunting and I did find a one bedroom apt in a good area. I think I got a good deal for what's involved. I'll be moving on August 15 (give or take a day). In the meantime, I'm trying to work as much as possible and pay the bills. For some reason they all seem to come in the summer for me. I'm still trying to get the high school where I taught to pay me the rest of my income (they owe me 3500 dollars still - yes it's been over two years). If I don't get that, I probably won't be able to afford to move. We'll see how it goes.
I've been so busy with work and the Vandy stuff that I haven't been able to post but have no fear my friends...I'm confident that my re-entry into the academic world of theology will produce some interesting bar chats. So drop me a line or two. I'll keep in touch when I learn more.

9 Comments:
Life's frustrations are often lessons in disguise. I learned long ago that lessons repeat themselves until I figure them out. Though it tears me up to think of you so far away, I know Vandy - as you call it- is where you need to be. You have such a wealth of knowledge and wisdom that has been untapped for too long. Another page turned and another chapter to begin...don't forget what you have already read.
11:24 PM, July 12, 2006
stillhopeful,
Welcome to the secondchance (presuming, of course, that you're not a regular under a different alias). I'm quite curious as to who you are though.
Thanks for your thoughts. They are enlightening and encouraging. Stop by a bit longer next time. A quick shot has its place but a few beers do as well. Cheers.
11:52 PM, July 12, 2006
Hobbes,
Thanks. Perhaps you (and if rumors are true, your lady) can come visit sometime. It would be an honor to see you.
12:56 AM, July 15, 2006
No, unfortunately I'm still in Indiana. It has its own detention qualities, let me tell you. But yes, I'm back and something tells me the best of this bar is yet to come...that is, of course, if you guys keep drinking...
12:38 AM, July 16, 2006
By the way, I'm meeting with the board tomorrow (Sunday) after church...which of course means, yes, I'll be going to church for the first time in...hell, I don't even remember when. So, here's a toast to that and the meeting...cheers.
12:42 AM, July 16, 2006
Thought the Walrus could use a freshly-heated heap of bread pudding w/ a delicious butter-rum sauce to go with that beer, so I'm dropping by with some--compliments of "The Captains".
Sorry, I don't have an active Blogger acct. at this point. I'll try to remedy that soon so I can hang out longer sometime and join in the conversation--with a name. Having trouble sleeping tonight, with the heat, so I thought I'd come visit the bar. Nice central air in this joint.
Wanted to let you know we're moving to KC (yes, that stands for Kansas City--not sure which side of the state line yet). Looking at mid-to-late Sept. I'm excited...and scared...and a little sad. Anyways, this is your bar, not mine, and I'm boring everyone sitting here. But I think I need to come hang out here more often.
I wondered where things were for you, with Vandy and Nashville. Wow. I love it. I'm really glad you're going. It'll be great for you, I think. When you get there, I expect you to toss back a few shots of espresso for me at Bongo Java, till "Closing Time".
We should get together before we all move south. Shoot me an email.
(I see nobody's monopolizing the jukebox, so I will--tolerate my boldness: Thom Yorke (The Eraser LP), Sufjan Stevens (The Avalanche LP), Yeah Yeah Yeahs ("Maps", until I never want to hear it again), MuteMath (self-titled LP), mewithoutYou ("January 1979"), John Mark McMillan (The Song Inside the Sounds of Breaking Down LP), DJ Shadow (In Tune & On Time Live LP), Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man (Out of Season LP), Shara Worden/My Brightest Diamond ("Something of an End", and Live at Schubas EP [eMusic].)
Peace.
3:38 AM, July 16, 2006
Dante,
Thank you for asking what I was wondering. BTW, How does Nashville in July compare to Memphis in May? Glad to see I'm not the only one burning the Midnight Oil--this is what I get for drinking a triple espresso at 10pm.
(Selections from Jeff Buckley, Portishead, and The Joshua Tree in the jukebox, in tribute.)
Cheers
3:45 AM, July 16, 2006
Dante,
It's actually the board of my former employer but they're connected with the church so we met afterwards. I decided to go to the service just b/c I hadn't been in so long and b/c it would simply be easier to meet rather than guessing as to when they end. That, and of course I got to meet up with some of my former students too.
Anonymous,
It took me a few to catch everything but I think I've guessed your identity now. The hints narrow it down to you or my ex- and I sure as hell hope she's not on here :). I hope things are well with you guys. I get your updates every so often.
Yeah, I'm hoping the Vandy thing will work out too. I'm still in negotiations with the board on getting my money but I won't find out more until after they meet on Tues. night. I'm excited about studying theology again though. It will probably be more challenging than last time in many ways but I'm always up for a challenge. Talk to you soon.
2:46 PM, July 16, 2006
Well, I haven't heard anything yet about tonight's board meeting. I should hear something tomorrow (Wed). I'll keep you posted.
11:21 PM, July 18, 2006
Post a Comment
<< Home