Where all are welcome but few call home...

Saturday, November 18, 2006

The Iron Bowl 2006

Well, I re-read last year's Iron Bowl post and decided to just re-post it with a few minor edits. Here you have it:

"Well, I thought I would finally create a football post for us Alabama maniacs. Whoever wins is allowed the bragging rights in this thread. Only those from the state of Alabama can understand the true intensity of this rivalry. I have lived outside of the state now for over 10 years and I still have the University of Alabama in my blood...and I never even went to school there. Not much about it will ever make sense. Nevertheless, I still get nervous every Saturday (even when we play Duke) hoping my beloved team will pull through. I was beginning to think that Tennessee had surpassed Auburn in the rivalry ratings but all it takes is for Iron Bowl Saturday to arrive and I remember why: it's the Iron Bowl. People ask me around here - Why is this game so important? My answer: Because it's the Iron Bowl. They say: Well, they have a 6-5 record so why does it matter? My answer: Because it's the Iron Bowl. They say: Why do you think it's the biggest rivalry in the nation? My answer: Because it's the Iron Bowl. They say: You're not going to watch the UM - Ohio State game? My answer: Absolutely, during every CBS commercial break. They say: Well, why are you such a die-hard Bama fan if you didn't go there? My answer: Because right after you're born in the state of Alabama, they spank you and you either say, Roll Tide! or War Eagle! Me? Well, apparently I said Roll Tide. Some answers just come that easy.

Iron Bowl Saturday is in reality the only day I absolutely hate Auburn all year. But today, believe me, they're my worst enemy. You mention their name and my blood boils.

That being said, bring on the hard hits, bring on the flashy offense, bring on everything you got. Because today, absolutely nothing matters, except the Iron Bowl...

Roll Tide, my friends..."

Roll Tide, indeed.

4 Comments:

Blogger thewalrus said...

Any predictions?

Mine: Bama 20, AU 14

11:48 AM, November 18, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

If Bama's O-Line holds and they don't turn it over in the second half, they'll come back.

If Auburn keeps pressure on JP Wilson and manages to find a passing game on offense, they'll hold on.

My opinion is the 2 point try was stupid.

4:23 PM, November 18, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Actually now you need a "FEAR THE OTHER HAND" shirt.

Key factor in the game: Bama's 4 turnovers. 3 of those were forced so credit goes to Auburn (and for them capitalizing on them). All four came in critical situations. That was our proverbial Achilles heel today.

Otherwise, we've got a damn good quarterback and I look forward to next season.

My opinion on Shula: Yes, we do have to keep him one more year. There's no question there will be coaching changes beneath him but he's staying. I think Bama should keep him for stability reasons right now. A coaching change right now will delay a good transition further. If things aren't better next year, then make a change. It's just too early right now, unfortunately. Personally, I don't think he will be around long. He's just not head coach material.

Now let's just hope Prothro can make it back.

7:24 PM, November 18, 2006

 
Blogger thewalrus said...

Ok, on further reflection, perhaps it is time to make Shula go now. Delaying a transition, which I do think is inevitable, might be worse. I don't think Mal Moore will fire him but I think it probably should be done.

I don't blame Shula for all of Bama's issues this year. There are certain things that can't be explained, e.g., What happened to Darby?

It's not the overall record that gets me. It's the lack of signature wins (the only real one being Florida last year) that clinches it for me.

So, as I said, I'm not scapegoating, I just think that, since he's not ultimately going to be the one to turn things around, why keep him?

9:11 PM, November 18, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
link to affordable web promotion page
Info on affordable web promotion service.