Leaving Theology Proper
Well folks, it seems thewalrus has changed directions in regards to career. Barring a serious change of heart, I have decided to leave academic study of theology/ethics on the shelf for a while and pursue a career in secondary education. Specifically, I intend to pursue a degree at TSU or MTSU (the school choices are tentative, however) here in Nashville beginning in Spring or Fall 2009. I will graduate here at Vandy in December of this year. If I start the next degree in Fall 2009, I will just get a temp job in the spring. My estimate is that it shouldn't take longer than 2 years. I will get certified to teach English and Literature on the high school level. I came to this decision after some deep reflection last week concerning my vocation. While all such decisions are always tentative (especially for me), it feels like the right choice at this point. And while I always think I will have many important things to say to Christianity and the Church, I truly believe that the only way I will be able to effectively do so is through something other than academic theology. I have tried too hard for too long to get my heart back into it but it simply isn't happening. I have certainly regained a significant interest in academic study but none of it involves theology proper. I'm delving into some serious philosophy this summer interspersed with modern literature (you can check the bookshelf on the right-hand side of the page for what I'm currently reading). It is always possible that at some point I might return to get a Ph.D. in theology or ethics. Getting experience in another field certainly wouldn't hinder me from coming back if I decide to do so.
I believe that most of what I have to say academically will need to be said through fiction or in some type of editorial-style writing. I respect the academy for what it is but it simply does not have a space for my voice that feels right to me. I will ultimately be shooting for something on the high end of the high school spectrum (such as University School of Nashville, for example) where education is highly valued and teachers are (relatively) well-compensated. I'm hoping that somewhere along the line my 4 academic degrees will get me somewhere. Well, there you have it. Stop in for a drink and let me know your reaction. Hell, I even managed to surprise myself on this one.
Sex post coming soon...

13 Comments:
woah. so does this mean you aren't going to finish up at Vandy? What will the world do banks.com? More importantly, what will Victor do? WWVD?
ps. you and robyn should come over so i can feed you again, and by "i" i mean alli.
kp
2:24 PM, July 14, 2008
wow, that's really interesting...and I think a good decision. It was clear while you were in portage that you have ateacher's heart, and an incredible ability to connect with students in such a way as to challenge them and foster a lot of growth. I think you'll be really happy in this, and I'm glad.
4:00 PM, July 14, 2008
Kenny, I will finish up the M.Div. Sorry, I realize that might've been confusing. I edited the post to make it clearer I hope. I'll keep in touch with Victor though so he'll be cool.
Steven, thanks. I'm hoping it will be as rewarding as the job I had in Portage (with the students at least-as we know, the other aspects were...not so much).
4:39 PM, July 14, 2008
And Kenny, we're up for food & booze anytime.
5:00 PM, July 14, 2008
hey walrus,
I'm really excited to hear your career/education plan news. From the sound of it, you've given it some deep contemplation and consideration and you seem to have arrived at a decision that you're not only comfortable with but seem excited about as well. I think that no matter what you choose to do, you will have a positive effect on that discipline or in that field. Add passion and talent to that, and the result will be even greater. I see that passion in this decision, and it's a given that the talent is there from previous teaching experience. This seems like a good choice for you, and I'm really happy for you and wish you the best. Thumbs up.
10:18 PM, July 14, 2008
Books is an abomination. It just ain't right.
Hey man, I'm pretty Phah-King proud of you. Yeah, it's a big step, and it takes a big box of eggs to make this kind of decision. But I think I'm more proud of the fact that you really did try to make it work in theology. You're making a smart decision now, and you have the benefit of knowing for sure why you're making it.
At the same time, it's not an easy one to make, it will probably be a hell of a transition. And when that happens, you know where to find me.
3:02 PM, July 15, 2008
"Church Cancels Teen Gun Giveaway"
http://www.koco.com/news/16860079/detail.html
Yet another one of those reminders as to why the Church doesn't sound so appealing...
12:42 PM, July 17, 2008
Hey, good for you. Not to be a wet blanket, but as an educator I feel compelled to make a few points:
1) Don't make this decision lightly. If you don't anticipate sticking with it for at least seven years, you'll be throwing money away on the degree. I've seen too many people go into education on a lark (and $40K worth of student loans), then realize it's not something they want to make a career out of. If it is, great - go for it. But think long and hard about it, because it doesn't pay the bills if you don't stick with it.
2) Teachers are never well-compensated, even at the most prestigious schools, and the prestigious schools don't hire people with no experience. Plan on teaching in a high-poverty urban school (or a very low-paying private school) if you want a job when you graduate.
Best wishes,
Justin
4:27 AM, July 24, 2008
Hey Justin,
Thanks so much for the advice and it's appreciated. I certainly intend to work at least that long but the way my life works, plans seem to go differently than intended. If things work well, I hope to do it for at least 15 years or so.
I don't really expect to make much on the front end. I hope with my education and a few years of experience though, that I'll be able to work my way in to a higher-end school soon enough.
12:26 PM, July 24, 2008
By the way folks, I haven't forgotten about the next post. I've had to hold off on posting it for various reasons. It'll be up soon though.
12:31 PM, July 24, 2008
You have a gift for teaching and inspiring others. It'll be a learning experience for you as well.
When you say "(relatively) well-compensated" you mean of course that the school you teach for will actually allow you to cash your paychecks?
9:30 AM, July 29, 2008
leighbotts, yeah that's exactly what I would mean! Thanks for what you said, it was encouraging. And congrats on your job in NYC! I'm extremely proud of you and hope to come visit at some point. Let me know if your email changes.
12:14 PM, July 30, 2008
Oh, and in case any of you thought my cat was too fat, check this out:
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07302008/news/regionalnews/fat_cat_122221.htm
12:15 PM, July 30, 2008
Post a Comment
<< Home