Renewal
You know, this whole bartending thing at thesecondchance has been a strange job over the past few years. I take a look back at various posts and I see the diversity represented among them. I see posts of ironic rage, posts of hope, posts of despair, posts about tattoos, posts of mystery, posts of romantic possibilit(ies), odes to friendship, posts of redemption, posts exhibiting pure heathenism, posts of fantastic drama, posts of the moment, posts on fate, and then you just have classics. I see the parts of me that have changed and the parts that have stayed the same. In an inexplicable way, this bar has meant quite a lot for me personally. I can only hope it has been at least moderately enjoyable and at most thought-provoking for all of you. For me, it has often been an escape. A time and place for me to visit where I can express what lies within...doing a job I’ve always longed to do. It’s so important to me, in fact, that I become obsessively perfectionist at times about my “thought posts.” As in, they happen far too seldom because I avoid them. Regardless, it is a place of solace. It is, after all, thesecondchance...where all are welcome but few will ever call home.
Over the years here at thesecondchance, I’ve managed to talk a lot about Christianity, somewhat to a fault. I’ve simply been in conversation with it most of my life. Quite broadly speaking, for about 25 years, I believed Christianity had something to say to the world. For about 7 years, I’ve been spending my time either in full flight from Christianity or in resentful engagement with it. Most of my posts here have followed a relatively standard script: I get angry at certain Christians who have shat on me & those I love through the years, channel it into a caustic rhetorical attack against all Christians (and thereby disservice those Christians who have lived honorable lives), and then I buffer my attack by providing rational justification for all the reasons I no longer believe or practice anything resembling what is often called traditional Christianity. Typically, I dress my posts with questions or statements inviting engagement from all you drinkers that stop by this bar every so often. More often than not, I receive a substantial amount of agreement, interspersed with dissatisfaction over the fact that I provide no answers for the questions, no solutions for the problems, no positives for the negatives, no salve for the wounds. I’ve been going to school most of my life, studying Christian theology for a substantial portion of it, and this is all I have to offer? Hell, I don’t even have an answer to that question. Perhaps it’s why my ears perk up when I hear Ludwig Feuerbach’s words:
“Only he who has the courage to be absolutely negative has the strength to create something new.”
I realize that it’s quite possible that I’m one of only a few people on this earth who would find that quote even mildly encouraging. I also realize that I’m in one of the most emotionally healthy states I’ve been in for years and that it might not be people’s first recommendation to me that I cultivate my sudden rabid craving for the pen of Friedrich Nietzsche. But I am thewalrus. And this, my friends, is thesecondchance. Here you’ll find indulgence celebrated, hypocrisy castigated, and friendship immortalized. I’ll demand your respect but not your love. I’ll demand the same from myself. I'll begin from the only place I can...where I am at the moment.
So as we begin a new chapter here at thesecondchance (for no good reason), you can expect to get a lot of the “same ole same ole” with plenty of seeds of the new. The best of the worst, the worst of the best, and maybe an opportunity to find neither one. But business is business and we’re in a recession. I need you guys to stop by regularly and drink your best or this place might not hold out. I have no problems serving an empty bar while the rest of you do what you gotta do but I’m also not one to invest a lot of time and emotion into mixing a drink that won’t be shared. I don’t mind voyeurs, I enjoy them actually, but I certainly have a deeper appreciation for direct participation, even if only on occasion. Here’s what’s on the agenda:
Coming up this week: My next post will address Nietzsche’s critique of morality and why it has corrupted the spirit of humanity. I’ll of course talk about why I thought about his critique first, how that’s even possible, and why it matters.
On deck: Is it time for another sex post?
Cheers, my friends.








16 Comments:
I suppose it would be wrong on many levels to confess that I watched the 2-hour season finale to Desperate Housewives last night (esp. considering I said I never would in a post long ago). In my defense, my mom was in town and did coerce me. I'll also confess that it wasn't near as bad as I expected. I was actually impressed with some of the writing although it's safe to say that I won't be a DH groupie anytime soon...like maybe never...
3:46 PM, May 19, 2008
Well, as the Clinton's would say, or at least Bill anyhow, "change is good"... but not when we're talking about watching Desperate Housewives. I'm glad your intention is not to start renting the past several seasons of that one and getting caught up.
I will say that I think a lot of the patrons who visit thesecondchance do so for both a similar escape as well as to participate in a community where we can exchange ideas and opinions, to share our own thoughts and maybe even be opened to other ways of seeing things. I toast thesecondchance in all of its transformations and consistencies over the years and look forward to what's yet to come.
Cheers.
4:21 PM, May 19, 2008
It's a shame that the good TV season ends when the good secondchance season begins.
6:12 PM, May 19, 2008
Ah yes, the Second Chance Bar. I have been driving my hybrid by without stopping for a while, but since the bartender is outside waving me in I will stop off for a drink or 2. I'll admit I stopped being a regular when I popped in a few times wanting to talk about sports or politics or something kewl I saw downtown and found the conversation to be about the finer points of some Saint's critique of some other Saint's orthodoxy. Smiling I would listen for a while then slip off into nature.
I forgot I liked it so I am back for a spell.
I might be in Nashville this summer, we need to have some kind of get together in a real bar.
also, NYTimes has an article this morning called "Who is the walrus?"
Roy S.
8:22 AM, May 20, 2008
goose, thank you. And not to worry, I'll be doing no backtracking on Desperate Housewives.
stevepvc, it is a shame indeed. This fall will be quite sad for me as it is for sure Boston Legal's final season (and only 13 episodes).
octavio, it's great to have you back. I've been wondering where you've been. I assumed the bar down the block might've had a better winter brew. And feel free to stop in and chat about whatever's on your mind. Thanks for the walrus article. I learn more and more about myself every day. Although if any of you try to blow in my face, I'll spill your next beer!
1:09 PM, May 20, 2008
If language precedes the speaker, yet the language leads to nihilism, what becomes of the speaker? You're writing undresses you. It leaves you naked in a wind swept land. The moment a word issues from your mouth it is blown away. Yet the word clings to your gut. As the word is stretched into oblivion, so too, are you. The place of absolute negativity, though it teeters on the brink of death, can be maintained when we accept the absoluteness of this realm. Words tear the skin here. So we cannot depend on words...linguistic structure. We perform. It is why friendship is akin to salvation. It seems that when silence is allowed to enter, the wind stops blowing. Words can break into this void like a strike of lightning. If the wind were blowing it would simply suck the light away. But in wordless, windless silence language can enter. But it should never take root in the land of absolute negativity. This word is different. It doesn't come from our mouth. It is rooted in the land of a friend.
That was random. Slide me a few shots of cactus juice.
3:26 PM, May 20, 2008
walrus,
good to see you back around here. I must say that your long tusks seem to prevent you from getting close to a telephone... maybe I can bring you some sort of filing device when I am in Nashville next weekend...I will be in town for a wedding on the 31st...It would be great to tackle you...
4:54 PM, May 20, 2008
squanchum, I think you've had a few cactus shots too many! Just kidding, cool stuff. When are you coming back to the States?
2coopers, I know I've been my usual delinquent self with returning phone calls. I just somehow manage to forget to call people when I actually get my rare free time. Trust me, it's not just you. Regardless, we should grab a drink or something when you come through.
5:27 PM, May 20, 2008
octavio, somehow I missed you saying you were coming to Nashville the first time I read your comment. Drop me a message as to when you're coming in and so forth and we'll catch up.
10:59 PM, May 20, 2008
And for those of you anxiously awaiting a new post, I should have it up in the next few days. I'm having a couple friends come in town from Indiana so I should be a lil preoccupied for a couple days. But do not fear, I'll have the Nietzsche post up soon. I'm excited to see what you guys do with this one.
2:44 PM, May 24, 2008
In the first paragraph you left out the most often posted post of your posting...the I'm about to make a post post..
nothing but love here from 2coopers o walrus
7:52 PM, May 24, 2008
2coopers, I hear ya and the jab is rightly deserved...which is precisely why I'm going to indulge it a bit more... I'm about to make a post...like really soon...stay tuned...
12:45 AM, May 29, 2008
Did the Lost posts die? If so, why?
11:47 AM, June 01, 2008
Well, they mainly died b/c no one (including you homeboy) was commenting on them anymore. That on top of the fact that I'm a few episodes behind now. I know the finale just happened - you want me to make a thread for it?
Also, do stay tuned for the morality post in the next day or so. I have it about halfway finished. My goal is to have it up by Tuesday.
3:37 PM, June 01, 2008
So I might've mysteriously hit a writer's block right about the time double overtime started in Game 5 in Detroit...but then it kicked back in with all sorts of ecstatic creativity when that sweet penguin puck hit the net in triple overtime...
Actually, I'm not lying about the creativity part...but I'll admit it might have nothing to do with hockey. Regardless, you'll have your post sometime today or otherwise there might be a good chance I check out hockey as a career option. In other words, you'll get the new post sometime today or tonight.
1:48 AM, June 03, 2008
Hey, I said tuesday, cut me some slack...
1:49 AM, June 03, 2008
Post a Comment
<< Home